• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading to the Latest Version 2.2 rc2a

gambitman

Hello Everyone!

My website has been on OS Commerce since 2003 and I haven't upgraded to any newer version of OS Commerce since that year as well. I decided to download the latest version and upgrade; however, before doing so, I wanted to first check with you all and find out where can I get the proper upgrading instructions from my version to the current version. If it helps, my current index.php says the following on the top "index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:37:59". Please tell me if you need me to provide you with any other information. Thank you very much for all your help!

upgrade.html is the only instructions made and is in the package. You would probably be better to take 2.2 RC2A and start over. Not start over but build your design on a rc2a install and replace your site with that one.

upgrade.html is the only instructions made and is in the package. You would probably be better to take 2.2 RC2A and start over. Not start over but build your design on a rc2a install and replace your site with that one.

I have so many mods and experimentation on my site that the thought of starting a new one and switching over makes me feel faint! How necessary is this really?

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I agree with you. Even though my site is very old, I did do several customizations to it. If there is really any way that I can upgrade it without having to start from scratch that would be great.

I have so many mods and experimentation on my site that the thought of starting a new one and switching over makes me feel faint! How necessary is this really?

Anthony

If you new exactly which version you had. I am not sure what was around in 2003. In admin goto tools then server info and see what it say there. I have 2.2-MS2 and the index is the same as yours. I recall some one saying the code change is fairly drastic from that version. If some one with the expertise of the code doesn't reply you might try to pm one of the Team members and let them know you posted about it but did not get a good enough answer. You could use a compair program to how much each file has changed. Then check database structure. OK I just checked Sourceforge.net and they have 2.2-MS1 from 2-16-2003 so you should be ok on updating to rc2. Some will say just to update to MS2 and apply all the security updates. You will have to get 2.2-MS2 from SourceForge

Some of the security updates I believe are in the contribution area.

Hello,

I went into the admin and the version that I have is osCommerce 2.2-MS2, and I do have a compare program (WinMerge) that I use. So you think that I'm good with just updating or should I consult one of the team members? Thanks for your help!

If you new exactly which version you had. I am not sure what was around in 2003. In admin goto tools then server info and see what it say there. I have 2.2-MS2 and the index is the same as yours. I recall some one saying the code change is fairly drastic from that version. If some one with the expertise of the code doesn't reply you might try to pm one of the Team members and let them know you posted about it but did not get a good enough answer. You could use a compair program to how much each file has changed. Then check database structure. OK I just checked Sourceforge.net and they have 2.2-MS1 from 2-16-2003 so you should be ok on updating to rc2. Some will say just to update to MS2 and apply all the security updates. You will have to get 2.2-MS2 from SourceForge

Some of the security updates I believe are in the contribution area.

Should be good to go then. just be sure to follow all directions. Do you have a test site to try it on first? would hate to see it break one of your mods and take your site down. Would suggest a full back up of your working site.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Sounds like good news to me. Sorry if I'm running around in circles, but what instructions should I be using then for upgrading? Should I use the "upgrade.html" file that came with the upgrade or something else?

I'm definitely making a back-up first before doing any upgrades. I may set-up a test server; however, I'm thinking of just running the updates overnight and if anything goes wrong I will revert to back up, not sure yet.

Thanks!

Should be good to go then. just be sure to follow all directions. Do you have a test site to try it on first? would hate to see it break one of your mods and take your site down. Would suggest a full back up of your working site.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. Sounds like good news to me. Sorry if I'm running around in circles, but what instructions should I be using then for upgrading? Should I use the "upgrade.html" file that came with the upgrade or something else?

I'm definitely making a back-up first before doing any upgrades. I may set-up a test server; however, I'm thinking of just running the updates overnight and if anything goes wrong I will revert to back up, not sure yet.

Thanks!

The upgrade.html . I think there is also a couple of security patch's in the download also. Those need to be added first. The upgrade.html was probably made from the patched version. I would go with the test server then if someting is wrong you have time to fix it.

Archived