• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

editing index.php

oosoul

I can't seem to get rid of the writing on the home page. I followed the steps on the homepage but no luck, can someone take a look @ this script?

I have the products listed and everything else seems ok. Last thing is I just started with osCommerce and have no clue about PHP. Thank you in advance.

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2007 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN', 'This is a default setup of osCommerce Online Merchant. Products shown are for demonstrational purposes. <b>Any products purchased will not be delivered nor will the customer be billed</b>. Any information seen on these products is to be treated as fictional.<br><br><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="5" cellpadding="2"><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/1.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Error Messages</b><br><br>If there are any error or warning messages shown above, please correct them first before proceeding.<br><br>Error messages are displayed at the very top of the page with a complete <span class="messageStackError">background</span> color.<br><br>Several checks are performed to ensure a healthy setup of your online store - these checks can be disabled by editing the appropriate parameters at the bottom of the includes/application_top.php file.</td></tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/2.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Editing Page Texts</b><br><br>The text shown here can be modified in the following file, on each language basis:<br><br><nobr class="messageStackSuccess">[path to catalog]/includes/languages/' . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT . '</nobr><br><br>That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Languages->' . ucfirst($language) . '->Define</nobr> or <nobr class="messageStackSuccess">Tools->File Manager</nobr> modules.<br><br>The text is set in the following manner:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'<span class="messageStackSuccess">This is a default setup of the osCommerce project...</span>\');</nobr><br><br>The text highlighted in green may be modified - it is important to keep the define() of the TEXT_MAIN keyword. To remove the text for TEXT_MAIN completely, the following example is used where only two single quote characters exist:<br><br><nobr>define(\'TEXT_MAIN\', \'\');</nobr><br><br>More information concerning the PHP define() function can be read <a href="http://www.php.net/define" target="_blank"><u>here</u></a>.</td></tr><tr><td class="main" valign="top">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'default/3.gif') . '</td><td class="main" valign="top"><b>Online Documentation</b><br><br>Online documentation can be read at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.info" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Knowledge Base</u></a> site.<br><br>Support is available at the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com/support" target="_blank"><u>osCommerce Support Site</u></a>.</td></tr></table><br>If you wish to download the solution powering this shop, or if you wish to contribute to the osCommerce project, please visit the <a href="http://www.oscommerce.com" target="_blank"><u>support site of osCommerce</u></a>. This shop is running on <font color="#f0000"><b>' . PROJECT_VERSION . '</b></font>.');

define('TABLE_HEADING_NEW_PRODUCTS', 'New Products For %s');

define('TABLE_HEADING_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS', 'Upcoming Products');

define('TABLE_HEADING_DATE_EXPECTED', 'Date Expected');

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');

define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

Change it to this :

define('TEXT_MAIN',' ');

Remove everything between the ,' after MAIN and before the ' before the );

You Code will look like this:

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN',' '); <~~~YOU CAN ADD OTHER INFORMATION HERE HAS NEEDED IN THE FUTURE

Chris

No luck, everytime I edit the notepad it doesn't change any thing on the website. I tried this on other pages like Contact Us, Warranty ect. but the script looks Like this now and no changes on the website. Again thank you in advance.

<?php

/*

$Id: index.php 1739 2007-12-20 00:52:16Z hpdl $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2007 osCommerce

*/

define('TEXT_MAIN',' '); <~~~YOU CAN ADD OTHER INFORMATION HERE HAS NEEDED IN THE FUTURE

if ( ($category_depth == 'products') || (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) ) {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Let\'s See What We Have Here');

define('TABLE_HEADING_IMAGE', '');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MODEL', 'Model');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRODUCTS', 'Product Name');

define('TABLE_HEADING_MANUFACTURER', 'Manufacturer');

define('TABLE_HEADING_QUANTITY', 'Quantity');

define('TABLE_HEADING_PRICE', 'Price');

define('TABLE_HEADING_WEIGHT', 'Weight');

define('TABLE_HEADING_BUY_NOW', 'Buy Now');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'There are no products to list in this category.');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS2', 'There is no product available from this manufacturer.');

define('TEXT_NUMBER_OF_PRODUCTS', 'Number of Products: ');

define('TEXT_SHOW', '<b>Show:</b>');

define('TEXT_BUY', 'Buy 1 \'');

define('TEXT_NOW', '\' now');

define('TEXT_ALL_CATEGORIES', 'All Categories');

define('TEXT_ALL_MANUFACTURERS', 'All Manufacturers');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'top') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'What\'s New Here?');

} elseif ($category_depth == 'nested') {

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'Categories');

}

?>

I realize that the FTP that I was using to edit was not doing the update, so I edit the index.php using file manger. After loading the script above my home page is now blank.

I realize that the FTP that I was using to edit was not doing the update, so I edit the index.php using file manger. After loading the script above my home page is now blank.

Use your ftp program to upload the file, never use the osc filemanager for anything.

If you do not have a copy of the file on your pc, download a fresh one.

Use your ftp program to upload the file, never use the osc filemanager for anything.

If you do not have a copy of the file on your pc, download a fresh one.

I am now using my web hosting editing, but when I use the above edited script I get a blank page.

I am now using my web hosting editing, but when I use the above edited script I get a blank page.

You must have destroyed it, so you will need a fresh one.

It is better to edit on your PC using a text editor (after making a backup). Then ftp the changed file to the web. Take short cuts and you will get burned.

You must have destroyed it, so you will need a fresh one.

It is better to edit on your PC using a text editor (after making a backup). Then ftp the changed file to the web. Take short cuts and you will get burned.

I was able to put the original script back in to get the home page back up. but now I back where I started.

I was able to put the original script back in to get the home page back up. but now I back where I started.

Excellent, now make sure you back up before you edit.

Excellent, now make sure you back up before you edit.

Everthing saved to desktop. Does everything look good on the script on post #4, because evertime I use that one the home page goes blank.

Wrong:

Right:

define('TEXT_MAIN',' ');

define('TEXT_MAIN','The trick when working with TEXT_MAIN is watching the \' (single tick mark)<br>
If you don\'t put a slash in front of them, you\'re page won\'t show up.<br>
PHP can\'t figure out what to do if it doesn\'t have the slash in there.<br>
I hope this demo hasn\'t been in vain.');

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Wrong:

Right:

define('TEXT_MAIN',' ');

define('TEXT_MAIN','The trick when working with TEXT_MAIN is watching the \' (single tick mark)<br>
If you don\'t put a slash in front of them, you\'re page won\'t show up.<br>
PHP can\'t figure out what to do if it doesn\'t have the slash in there.<br>
I hope this demo hasn\'t been in vain.');

Thanks alot, (and no it won't be in vain)

Working :D

Thanks to everyone on their input, I learned alot from this post

Wendy, with an attitude like that, you will succeed in what ever you do. Well done.

Archived