• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feedback on www.ozcdkeys.com !

simplysoup

Hey guys i need some pointers on how to make my cdkey store look more professional

www.ozcdkeys.com

Regards

Not much has been done on it.

Privacy, shipping, terms of use not done.

No ssl.

BTW GUYS (sorry caps) i am installing a new template :)

You don't need a template, everything works better without one (imho). Afterall, why buy trouble?

You need to purchase and install an ssl certificate (although your host should be able to install it correctly for you).

I know this is a triple post but could somebody tell me why the massive images displayed on the index are from the product page (taken from amazon.com) and how can it be fixed?

Once you get into templates, you need to ask the template provider.

Hey guys i have solved all problems with my new template except just this last one

Nothing is shown when i click on the categories? Is there a solution to this or can i just reinstall my site and reupload database?

that is EXACTLY the issue that Coopp was explaining to you about templates. Just dont use them because they are trouble. WHEN (not if) you do have an issue with them, no one here can help you because template code is SOOO hacked compared to the original that we wouldnt even know where you begin. With MOST of your issues, you are going to have to contact your template provider

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

that is EXACTLY the issue that Coopp was explaining to you about templates. Just dont use them because they are trouble. WHEN (not if) you do have an issue with them, no one here can help you because template code is SOOO hacked compared to the original that we wouldnt even know where you begin. With MOST of your issues, you are going to have to contact your template provider

I can say right now.... Coopco was right all along lol.

Templates are the devil!

Backup, up you go and i'll do custom editing from there lol

yep.. I looked into templates and a LOT of people told me to stay away.. so instead, i am working on my site piece by piece to make it look nice..

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

the enhances product thumbnail listing would be a good contribution. Its a new one, but it puts all your images in a grid type form and offers a buy now and details button and works with a short distription contribution. It also allows your customers to view your products in that list by manufacturer. I really like it.

maybe streamline the account creation so that people dont feel like they NEED to create an account.. It scares some people

Add some images for the box headers or make them a little different by using a gradient background or something. They are VERY basic. If you want to see what i am talking about, you can look at my site www.furryfamilysupplies.com i have SOME that have basic box headers and others that have images.. eventaully all will have the same image.

the enhances product thumbnail listing would be a good contribution. Its a new one, but it puts all your images in a grid type form and offers a buy now and details button and works with a short distription contribution. It also allows your customers to view your products in that list by manufacturer. I really like it.

maybe streamline the account creation so that people dont feel like they NEED to create an account.. It scares some people

Add some images for the box headers or make them a little different by using a gradient background or something. They are VERY basic. If you want to see what i am talking about, you can look at my site www.furryfamilysupplies.com i have SOME that have basic box headers and others that have images.. eventaully all will have the same image.

Thank you so much.

How would i go about 'streamlining' the account creation? what contributions would help this?

And i will redesign my site very soon, I installed STS and my site worked for abit then everything went blank so i uninstalled it lol

well, there are a few options. You can make the ability to not require an account for customers, or there are contributions that will bring the customer to the checkout page instead of the CREATE SUCESS, or LOGIN SUCCESS page which just annoys customers.

Just go to addons.oscommerce.com and search for ACCOUNT> I did, however, hear that the Fast Easy Checkout contribution is very buggy, dont use it,.

As for STS, i havent used it. I have heard it can just make doing other things a LOT more difficult, like adding contributions> I am customizing my site the old fashioned way.. with whatever code i can figure out how to manipulate. i bought a few oscommerce and php books and have been doing a lot to learn about the file structure of oscommerce..

Also the oscommerce knowledge base is VERY VERY helpful. On the top of this forum page, you will see a link for solutions, then choose documentation and pick the knowledgebase. It will show you things like customizing boxes and headers and such.. You can also do a TON by creating images by yourself and just naming them what oscommerce named them and then uploading to replace it. THAT is the easiest way to start with customizing.

You are an absolute legend, i am looking into better 'conversion' or whatever.

And since my store is based on delivering virtual goods how would i go about adding a shipment option for email?

Free Of Charge module

zero weight skips shipping

etc

in the add ons area

Thanks guys you are the best! :D

Now can someone lead me in the general direction of getting my site major on google and general advertising?

AND HOW DO I GET THE POWERED BY OSCOMMERCE text back onto it? :o

It disappeared when i installed a contribution with the paypal verified logo

if you backed up your file, then you will see where it was and just copy and paste it back into the same place. IF you backed up. otherwise just open your FOOTER.PHP file and place it within one of the tables in the footer.. Its not too hard, if you dont know where to place it, just post your footer code and i will tell you.

As for search engine optimization (aka SEO) you have a LOT of options. You can go to google and yahoo and submit your site. Just go to google and type WEBSITE SUBMISSION and their form will pop up. Same with yahoo.. But that does do much, it just means that you will definitely be crawled eventially, but will probably end up on page 10 or something..

There are some contributions here like Header Tags Controller which creates usefull header tags that the search engines crawl. Just search the contributions for SEO and you will find a bunch.

Also, adding a lot of text, either by articles or new posts, you will have MORE for the search engines to search through, meaning the more possibilities for a match

Archived