• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Fixed PHP5 Problem..But guess its time to upgrade

OK I managed to get my site back up after I found out my host upgraded to PHP5, Thanks! to those that gave me help and info here.

Just a quick recap...

My site has been running fine pretty much for almost 5 years now with out much trouble. But yesterday I got an email complaining that the shipping cost where too high. When I went to login admin is when I found that I had problems because my host upgraded to Php5. Managed to get it back up and running, but now I am thinking I need to sit down and get it updated.

osCommerce version 2.2-MS2 - with a couple very minor mods

PHP 5.1.4

MySQL 4.1.12

So now the questions:

Should I really update to RC2a?

The main area I think I need to address is the shipping methods and probably Paypal, there are a lot newer versions than what I have now as I am still using the ones that came with MS2.

I downloaded rc2a and went over the upgrade.html and that tells me to do rc1 first before doing rc2a. Seems to me there is a lot of files that need to be patched / modified. It also mentions that there is some sql fixes but I don't notice or understand how to take care of them... ( a little more research and guess I will pretty soon though ;).

So I am woundering ... why can I not just copy the already pached files (listed in the upgrade.html) from the download of RC2a to the proper directorys and be done and over with? Instead of spending a bunch of time editing a bunch of files and taking the chance of a bad paste or two.

But then also how and what do I need to correct with the SQL database for the changes in the new files and the fact that my host is still using MySQL 4 ?

And then will I still have to run the sql reconfigure for the shipping method being that I rc2a would have v3 or above?

But then would it just be simpler to install rc2a and start from scratch?

Please excuse my ignorace as I am just trying to figure the best way of getting my site up to speed and at the same time save a bit of time.

Thanks,

Bill... :blink:

If you only have minor mod i would suggest that you start over with a brand new Rc2a

Then add whatever mods you want...

Then import your old categories and products into the new shop....

THe instructions were given that way for people that had modded there version of the software. Not every one uses the same mod's. If you just cop-ied the files over then any mod's you have added would be gone if they used the file in question.

Toyicebear - OK... then there Is an importt feature... have to look into that.

Then in the new install what if I just put it in the root instead of /catalog/ ? This way old site would be able to keep running if a problem arises.

Bushmaster - So copying files over would not create a problem as long as the files that were overwritten do not have any modifications, which I kind of figured, but what about the SQL changes? Would MySQL automaticly reconfigure? as this is that part I am mostly at a lose here.

Thanks

Toyicebear - OK... then there Is an importt feature... have to look into that.

Then in the new install what if I just put it in the root instead of /catalog/ ? This way old site would be able to keep running if a problem arises.

Bushmaster - So copying files over would not create a problem as long as the files that were overwritten do not have any modifications, which I kind of figured, but what about the SQL changes? Would MySQL automaticly reconfigure? as this is that part I am mostly at a lose here.

Thanks

No those you would have to apply through phpMyAdmin. Once logged in there should by a sql button or tab,just copy and paste the updated sql changes and hit go. Make sure they don't interfer whith the feature you want to keep and BE SURE TO BACK UP FIRST.

Toyicebear has more knowledge of OSC then I do so if he states something diffrent follow his advice.

No those you would have to apply through phpMyAdmin. Once logged in there should by a sql button or tab,just copy and paste the updated sql changes and hit go. Make sure they don't interfer whith the feature you want to keep and BE SURE TO BACK UP FIRST.

Toyicebear has more knowledge of OSC then I do so if he states something diffrent follow his advice.

OK... guess I'm going to have to re-read the upgrade.html to figure which files affect the sql db, and that process... and a bit of more research here...

Thanks

Decided to do a fresh install... Thanks all for your responses... But... the db?

Lets see if I understand what I have read correctly.. The best or proper way would be on the installation / configuration on the new install is to "create" a New database. Then when the installation is finished import or migrate the db from my original store. But what confuses me a little is the instructions assume that I am going from "pr21 to pr22" Or will just the import work?

Thanks...

Archived