• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Uploading files

beanzy

I am new to osCommerce and my go to guy is closed for the night...

I am using DW cs3 and can connect to my web site where I am able to download and view all of my HTML files for editing but I cannot upload back.

Every time I try to push one file to the root, I get the message;

"index.html - error occurred - An FTP error occurred - cannot put index.html. Access denied. The file may not exist, or there could be a permission problem. Make sure you have proper authorization on the server and the server is properly configured.

File activity incomplete. 1 file(s) or folder(s) were not completed.

Files with errors: 1

index.html

Finished: 6/27/2008 10:15 PM"

There seems to be a permissions issue but I am logged in and connected as admin. Is this not the higest level?

If anyone has a suggestion, please let me know as I am going bonkers....

Thanks

Suggestion...........don't use DW !

lol............If your just uploading, use an FTP software. DW is not good with most of the files associated with oscommerce anyway. DW can't be used (normally) to edit php files so there really is no reason to use DW. IMPO

Chris

Also, I go on to the web catalog/admin, login and click files but I cannot get to the HTML folder. There is no path, folder or any means to view the contents so that I can rename files. What am I doing wrong? Or is this standard where you cannot get to this folder unless you connect through FTP?

HELPppppppppppp

Suggestions welcomed

Thanks

permissions are set in on your host's control panel.. So depending on the panel lay out, you will ahve to go to your FILE MANAGER and click on the files and choose the CHANGE PERMISSIONS options (which shoudl be SOMEWHERE in the navigation of the file manager) The HIGHEST permission is 777 ( believe) which allows that file to be readable and writable.

I dont knwo A LOT about what the permissions mean, but i am PRETTY sure that the idea is 755, but if you want to set it to 777 while you are working (and dont have any info that is at risk like credit card info) and then you can lock it back down, that would be fine too..

being logged into admin means nothing on the way of permissions.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Suggestion...........don't use DW !

lol............If your just uploading, use an FTP software. DW is not good with most of the files associated with oscommerce anyway. DW can't be used (normally) to edit php files so there really is no reason to use DW. IMPO

Chris

Hey Chris,

I'm not trying to edit the PHP files, only the HTML files. I have also tried kompozer to upload the file in question to no avail.

Did you check the permissions ?????

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

permissions are set in on your host's control panel.. So depending on the panel lay out, you will ahve to go to your FILE MANAGER and click on the files and choose the CHANGE PERMISSIONS options (which shoudl be SOMEWHERE in the navigation of the file manager) The HIGHEST permission is 777 ( believe) which allows that file to be readable and writable.

I dont knwo A LOT about what the permissions mean, but i am PRETTY sure that the idea is 755, but if you want to set it to 777 while you are working (and dont have any info that is at risk like credit card info) and then you can lock it back down, that would be fine too..

being logged into admin means nothing on the way of permissions.

Hi Lindsay,

I have another post here stating that I cannot get to the HTML folder to set the level permisions. It's in /var/www/html/ but I can only get to admin folder which does not include the HTML folder. I've never see a site where you can't get to the HTML docs folder...Weird!

try logging out and logging back in.. there cold just be a weird glitch or something. Sorry i missed that those two were connected.. why do you need to GET to an HTML file to set permissions.. your host file manager will not open the file?? I would call your host.

try logging out and logging back in.. there cold just be a weird glitch or something. Sorry i missed that those two were connected.. why do you need to GET to an HTML file to set permissions.. your host file manager will not open the file?? I would call your host.

The file I have edited is from the HTML folder. I made a small change to correct a few links. I go to the file manager and cannot see any HTML folder, but I can see it through DW. I downloaded it from DW, edited it and now am trying to place it back but have a permisions issue uploading.

I am new to osCommerce so I don't know all the tricks here. I'm not sure why the manager does not show every folder. I can see Admin, download, draft, ext, feeds, etc, etc, etc but NO html folder.

When I log in and select files, it brings me to the /var/www/html/catalog/ path. I need to back up one level to the html but cannot for the life of me figure out how to do that.

i might call the host.. I'm sorry i'm not of more help!!! I am still new too.

i might call the host.. I'm sorry i'm not of more help!!! I am still new too.

Thats cool.. I'm hoping that support works on the weekends. My go to guy at the ISP is gone for the weekend. Oh well. If I figure it out, I will post it here in case someone else has the same issue.

Thanks to all....nite B)

that would be AWESOME if you posted back with the solution.. i get SOO annoyed when i am searching the forums and a 100 posts come up and the person says "I FIGURED IT OUT, THANKS - BYE"

I;m like AHHHH WHAT WAS IT???!!!

Archived