• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Download from server and edit in Dreamweaver

I have some experience with html/css and would like to change the look and feel of my site. Can I just download it from the server and edit it just like creating a new site from scratch. Or is there some files that won't down load and therefore editting is not possible.

If I change the layout of the page can I just create some new tables/div boxes and put the relavent specific data needed to work the shop in them. If I re-create the page first as a copy then test it and once working then upload it should this be ok.

Please could someone point me in the right direction, to use DW to eidt everything. I have looked at numerous posts but they are not a step by step tutorial.

Many thanks

VoodooJai

I have some experience with html/css and would like to change the look and feel of my site. Can I just download it from the server and edit it just like creating a new site from scratch. Or is there some files that won't down load and therefore editting is not possible.

Yes, it's possible, in fact I have done all of the modifications to our store using DW 8.

If I change the layout of the page can I just create some new tables/div boxes and put the relavent specific data needed to work the shop in them. If I re-create the page first as a copy then test it and once working then upload it should this be ok.

You won't be able to edit the pages visually as most of the visual elements are generated on the server via php includes. Spend some time exploring the files and how they link together. You can make a lot of change just by editing the css: catalog/stylesheet.css and by modifying or replacing images in catalog/images/ using Photoshop or Fireworks. Also it'll be well worth the time investment learning a little php.

You won't be able to test your modified pages before uploading them unless you have a lamp stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP server) handy to serve them from. So if your store is getting traffic already you may want to consider setting up a local or remote testing server first as a staging area for your modifications.

Please could someone point me in the right direction, to use DW to eidt everything. I have looked at numerous posts but they are not a step by step tutorial.

Many thanks

VoodooJai

This is an issue with osCommerce, I've yet to find a definitive manual online but there are plenty of books to choose from on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...amp;x=0&y=0

This is an issue with osCommerce, I've yet to find a definitive manual online but there are plenty of books to choose from on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=s...amp;x=0&y=0

How is this an issue with oscommerce? It is more an issue with DW not being able to interpret php files. Even if you have wamp or lamp installed, it still can't interpret php files.

You won't be able to edit the pages visually as most of the visual elements are generated on the server via php includes. Spend some time exploring the files and how they link together. You can make a lot of change just by editing the css: catalog/stylesheet.css and by modifying or replacing images in catalog/images/ using Photoshop or Fireworks. Also it'll be well worth the time investment learning a little php.

You won't be able to test your modified pages before uploading them unless you have a lamp stack (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP server) handy to serve them from. So if your store is getting traffic already you may want to consider setting up a local or remote testing server first as a staging area for your modifications.

I have apache/php/mysql installed as a local server on my machine so would I be able to visually see the changes. I would like to see exactly what Ihave before uploading the store.

Hi Jai,

As Pete says, there's no particular problem using Dreamweaver to work on your osCommerce files. As Pete also points out, no matter what program you use for editing your files, on your local computer you can only view "PHP" files as code (if you go to "Design View" you'll just a a lot of little lines and boxes). This is because PHP pages must be parsed by the software on a web browser before they are rendered.

I use Dreamweaver for all my osCommerce editing needs. You get used to working in the code, uploading the pages, and viewing them in your web browser to see the result. Always make backups!

~Wendy

Hi Jay,

As Pete says, there's no particular problem using Dreamweaver to work on your osCommerce files. As Pete also points out, no matter what program you use for editing your files, on your local computer you can only view "PHP" files as code (if you go to "Design View" you'll just a a lot of little lines and boxes). This is because PHP pages must be parsed by the software on a web browser before they are rendered.

I use Dreamweaver for all my osCommerce editing needs. You get used to working in the code, uploading the pages, and viewing them in your web browser to see the result. Always make backups!

~Wendy

So DW becomes an overpriced text editor when working on php files. It is not necessary.

I have apache/php/mysql installed as a local server on my machine so would I be able to visually see the changes. I would like to see exactly what Ihave before uploading the store.

I have wamp installed and osc is installed under wamp. I edit in a text editor, and check the result in the browser. If I like the result, I copy the edited file to another drive where I have an image of my site. I then ftp from there to the web.

The only files that cannot be handled in this way are the configure.php files and the htaccess files. They need to be edited to suit the website.

So DW becomes an overpriced text editor when working on php files. It is not necessary.

From the sounds of things, Jai is like me - a person who is used to working in HTML, who already has Dreamweaver and is accustomed to its interface, and who wonders if he can keep using it.

As for it being necessary - it isn't, but neither are a lot of things that we like.

~Wendy

Surely software is a personal choice like some like windows some linux or mac. Like Wendy I find the interface good.

Thankyou all for the help with my problem.

VoodooJai

Archived