• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to host Oscommerce myself

bgirl

Hello,

I used to rely on a web hosting company software to setup oscommerce for me.

But when they move to a new platform, they broke my website. So, I would like to find out

how to setup oscommerce and host it myself.

For osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2:

What version of mysql and apache should I get?

Any luck or problems with hosting it yourselves?

Stella :)

For osCommerce 2.2 Milestone 2:

What version of mysql and apache should I get?

any as it is support all versions with some corrections.

Any luck or problems with hosting it yourselves?

do you mean running on VPS or dedicated server. You will need the knowledge of linux os as admin of server.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Thanks.

I am installing mysql 5.1 now.

I just think I will use my pc with windows and install apache as the server.

First test it with localhost and then use the ip address for the url.

I need to make sure outside world be able to access through my ip address.

And maybe I need to specify to Gandi.net (the domain registry company) to direct

the domain to my ip address?

Will this work?

Stella

Thanks.

I am installing mysql 5.1 now.

I just think I will use my pc with windows and install apache as the server.

First test it with localhost and then use the ip address for the url.

I need to make sure outside world be able to access through my ip address.

And maybe I need to specify to Gandi.net (the domain registry company) to direct

the domain to my ip address?

Will this work?

Stella

It won't work .. you need oscommerce on a server.

thats what i was thinking.. oscommerce is server side

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

I would also install oscommerce to my pc.

So, with mysql and oscommerce, and apache can turn my pc into a web server.

Wouldn't this work?

It works for local testing but is not robust enough for an online shop (or nobody would bother with paying for hosting or servers would they?)

It works for local testing but is not robust enough for an online shop (or nobody would bother with paying for hosting or servers would they?)

I see. For now, the activity is low, it should be fine. Until it grows, I would put it on a web hosting site.

Thanks. :)

You're not understanding what people are saying. Yes, you can turn your PC into a "local" web server , which is called an Intranet, but for the outside world to be able to access it it needs to be connected to the Internet - and not just by your broadband connection and your computer's IP address. Most computers use the same ip address, and what will you use for domain name addresses and domain name?

It is possible to get a unique ip address for your PC and have a company redirect to that PC's new ip address, but this is complicated and costs money - so by the time you go to all that trouble and expense you'd be better off paying for hosting, which isn't exactly expensive anyway.

Vger

Ok, thank you for telling me that.

It's just that when I setup the oscommerce for my site with IPowerWeb before. It was just a click of

a button, all the php was generated by them with their own code. When they moved to the new plaform,

the web site is no longer working.

I am hoping to find a hosting company that doesn't change my php code.

Any good suggestion for a web hosting company for low activity, inexpensive and can keep the same set of

my php code. And don't need to wait for 45 min to talk to support.

Stella

Archived