• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Silly Question

paula555

Hi All

I'm thinking about starting up a website selling some products, haven't decided what yet. But I'm struggling to understand the concept of oscommerce in regards to the products. Do I have to source my own products and upload images, etc...? Or with oscommerce do you get to select supplier products from a catalogue to simply have on your site? Who is responsible for delivery and returns?

I have read as much as I can find on the oscommerce site but nowhere seems to spell it out.

Thanks

Paula

Hi All

I'm thinking about starting up a website selling some products, haven't decided what yet. But I'm struggling to understand the concept of oscommerce in regards to the products. Do I have to source my own products and upload images, etc...? Or with oscommerce do you get to select supplier products from a catalogue to simply have on your site? Who is responsible for delivery and returns?

I have read as much as I can find on the oscommerce site but nowhere seems to spell it out.

Thanks

Paula

You are the sole person responsible for everything.

Do I have to source my own products and upload images, etc...? YES

Who is responsible for delivery and returns? YOU

I'm thinking about starting up a website selling some products, haven't decided what yet. No point having a shop if you have nothing to sell.

I think what you are asking is like walking into a retail development and saying hey, you guys are offering free rent for the first 3 months of a lease, I want to open a shop... The first question they would ask you is what kind of shop. That decision is up to you. They can provide the store structure for you but they are not going to set up and run your business for you.

with delivery and returns you dont have to be responsible ENTIRELY for it.. if you have a DROP SHIPPER (meaning a distrubutor who is willing to ship directly to your customers) then they can receive the returns directly, but you have to return the money to the customer, and they do all the delivering, but you have to send them a daily report on what to ship and WHO to ship to.

you should go to the bookstore and flip throught some basic to e-commerce.. that will explain what all the rules and needs are for running an online store.. you will not find that kind of indepth info here on an oscommerce forum because we basically have all that done and are developing our websites

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Archived