• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Adwords Conversion Tracking

angieallee

How do I add Google AdWords conversion tracking to my website? I have the Adwords conversion code but I don’t know where to put it. All I need to know is where to put it and I will have someone do it for me.”

How do I add Google AdWords conversion tracking to my website? I have the Adwords conversion code but I don’t know where to put it. All I need to know is where to put it and I will have someone do it for me.”

I put the "urchin" javascript code at the end of /catalog/includes/footer.php

That way it is called at the end of every page loaded in your store.

For conversion tracking you don't actually need to add any additional code to the site, just Edit the Settings for your Google Analytics account and add a Goal called "Sale". Set "Match Type" to "Head Match" and Goal URL to /catalog/checkout_success.php

Optionally, you can also define a funnel so that Google won't flag a Sale unless the visitor goes through the whole checkout process:

Step 1: /catalog/login.php (Required step)

Step 2: /catalog/checkout_shipping.php

Step 3: /catalog/checkout_payment.php

Step 4: /catalog/checkout_confirmation.php

Step 5: /catalog/checkout_process.php

N.B: if your store is not installed in a directory called catalog in your site root then substitute /catalog/ above for whatever directory name or just / for a root installation.

For conversion tracking you don't actually need to add any additional code to the site, just Edit the Settings for your Google Analytics account and add a Goal called "Sale". Set "Match Type" to "Head Match" and Goal URL to /catalog/checkout_success.php

Optionally, you can also define a funnel so that Google won't flag a Sale unless the visitor goes through the whole checkout process:

N.B: if your store is not installed in a directory called catalog in your site root then substitute /catalog/ above for whatever directory name or just / for a root installation.

Thank you so much for your reply! We will try this!

• 9 months later...
checkout_success.php - this is the page where people go when they have succesfully made a purchase.

Hi there,

From reading on Google, the tracking conversion code supplied there should be inserted on an HTML page. Could anyone please direct me to the right page where I need to insert Google's code?

Thank you.

• 5 months later...

Ok but remember not to install the code twice, Google tells you to put in checkout_success.php when it is only needed in footer.php. If you put it in twice it will not report conversions properly....Do a test order and check the source code on checkout_success.php to make sure that it is tracking correctly.

Archived