• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Boy, do I feel ripped off

cleveland-jay

Today, I bought one of those already engineered template systems to dress up the store I'm building (You know, it's faster this way), and I'm here to say that I think these are all rip-offs! The template says in its prerequisites that it requires PHP. There is/was no PHP in the whole package - just some stupid predefined HTML pages without any logic in them at all.

I got this from www.theoscommercestore.com and doubt I can get my money back. I guess I'll be trying to re-engineer their html and place the PHP code in them.

Be warned.

--

Jay

There is/was no PHP in the whole package

What they mean by that statement is the server you install it on has to have PHP available for it to work.

Generally PHP is available to most accounts if you pay for the web space and hosting.

Most free web space accounts don't have things like PHP, PERL, or MYSQL available.

If that helps any at all....

:blush:

ADDED IN EDIT:

If you're not sure if you have PHP avaiailble, put this code on your site:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Save it to your web space as test.php

Access it thru your browser (i.e. http://www.yoururl.com/test.php)

If it displays a page full of info, PHP is avaialble to you.

If I suggest you edit any file(s) make a backup first - I'm not perfect and neither are you.

"Given enough impetus a parallelogramatically shaped projectile can egress a circular orifice."

- Me -

"Headers already sent" - The definitive help

"Cannot redeclare ..." - How to find/fix it

SSL Implementation Help

Like this post? "Like" it again over there >

Today, I bought one of those already engineered template systems to dress up the store I'm building (You know, it's faster this way), and I'm here to say that I think these are all rip-offs! The template says in its prerequisites that it requires PHP. There is/was no PHP in the whole package - just some stupid predefined HTML pages without any logic in them at all.

I got this from www.theoscommercestore.com and doubt I can get my money back. I guess I'll be trying to re-engineer their html and place the PHP code in them.

Be warned.

--

Jay

That is just a re-seller of template monster templates...

If you have bought a template labeled osCommerce then all the shop files and db should be included, if you have just bought a generic webtemplate then its only html files included.

Yes, yes, yes, I understand... But what they're selling is a blatant deception. The page they show you says they are furnishing both PSD (photoshop) and PHP files. Well, the PSD is there and my copy of CS3 has no trouble with it, but their package include nothing regarding PHP for their pages, just the plain HTML which I could have done myself. I don't think you can say that PHP source is included if it isn't.

Understand here folks, I'm a software engineer and quite experienced in web applications. The ad for this package leads one to believe that it similar in concept to the default home page that comes with OSC, and it is NOT. Now, I can make the page behave dynamically by adding in my own PHP code, but this was not my intent. I was hoping to save some time by purchasing code.

Imagine that you saw a website selling beautiful giclee prints of Picasso or Monet art, and when you received your order you got a crayola sketch drawn by a 4 year old named Juan Picasso. Yes, it's similar, but not what you were paying for, but that's what you get here.

I guess I'm still po'd.

--

Jay

and doubt I can get my money back

Try emailing them and explain what you thought you were purchasing and what you got and see if they can fix it for you.

For curiousity sake, what is the number of the template you purchased?

With this number its easy to just go to the template monster site and see what template and what is supposed to be included with it.

Archived