• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please Help! IE7 doesn't show my favicon.ico

Hi,

Please Help! IE7 doesn't show my favicon.ico while Firefox 3 does perfectly! You have any idea? Thanks in advance.

eWorld Master

I don't think that won't work either. IE is incompatible with the favicon feature. I am beta testing IE8 and so far, I have found nothing that works with it to display the favicon.

Chris

I don't think that won't work either. IE is incompatible with the favicon feature. I am beta testing IE8 and so far, I have found nothing that works with it to display the favicon.

Chris

I got mine displaying in FF2, FF3, Safari, IE6 and IE7 with that code...

Hi,

Please Help! IE7 doesn't show my favicon.ico while Firefox 3 does perfectly! You have any idea? Thanks in advance.

eWorld Master

You did use a program such as PixelToolbox that actually creates icons and didn't just rename a graphic to end with ico?

Also the graphic needs to be 16 x 16 pixels and in your root folder, such as catalog.

Add this - <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://youraddress.com/catalog/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"> in the head tag of your index.php file.

Works for me with my IE7... ;)

- :: Jim :: -

- My Toolbox ~ Adobe Web Bundle, XAMPP & WinMerge | Install ~ osC v2.3.3.4 -

IE is incompatible with the favicon feature.

No, at least up through IE7 it worked fine with favicon.ico (provided it was an "icon" format file). IE may not work well with other image formats used as an icon, or with meta commands to point to other locations, but it will happily display a 16x16 .ico format file in the root directory.

I've heard that the "fav" in favicon is from the IE "favorites" list ("bookmarks" to the rest of the browser world).

if i recall correctly, both browsers cache favicons.

there was a site i added one to recently, that did not show up in my firefox until days after the fact.

i don't even bother testing stuff like this in IE anymore... people still use IE? :P

for what it's worth: i do not waste my time with <link rel=

.. i just add it to the sites public_html folder after creating it in photoshop with the favicon add-on.

I too was having problems with the favicon showing in IE. I was using this code

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" >

Seems the problem was my shared ssl. I changed the above to reflect my shared ssl path and it showed up right away. Example of that code is

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="https://my_secure_server.com/favicon.ico" >

Archived