• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Who here actually has a succesful store?

Oni

I am only at the research stage of things and just wanted to see what kind of percentage of oscommerce users have managed to create a successful business.

Also, what was the most difficult stage of making your business?

you can see the whole list of successful stores:

http://shops.oscommerce.com/

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Hi there, my company actually runs a pretty successful store. We are still working out a few coding gliches but the store works great and our customers love it. We run a uniform company and the store allows us to make separate categories for each school that we service.

The most difficult part was becoming familiar with the store and making sure that everything was correct so that we can have successful sales. When we first went live we had a few problems. But there were easily fixed. You can check out our store at: Botana&Gomez

I thought they were just live stores? Live doesn't equal succesful does it or am I mistaken in this case?

There's 14,000 known sites ish, do you really think there would be that many if it was all a waste of time??

http://www.clubosc.com/

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Define success. Success to some people is not all about how much money store might make, success to others is all about the bottom line. So. Is making $20k a year a "success"? $40k? $400k? $4M?

To a self employed, part time mother, perhaps even making a profit of $100 a week is a good success. Enough to put food on the table.

You've asked a silly question that has zero relevance to anyone.

I have installed, configured and completed 7 stores for customers who are completely satisfied with their stores. Each one advertises their store, is very proud of their store and would more than likely use OSC to create a future store.

To me, that is success !! How much they make using their store, is completely irrelevant. As long as each customer is happy, I am happy.

Chris

I suspect Ed has another adjenda, it wont matter what we say, he/she wont be pursuaded.

Go on tell us, we should be using xxx cause its fantastic & we know no better.

<_<

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

I have installed, configured and completed 7 stores for customers who are completely satisfied with their stores. Each one advertises their store, is very proud of their store and would more than likely use OSC to create a future store.

To me, that is success !! How much they make using their store, is completely irrelevant. As long as each customer is happy, I am happy.

I completely agree - I put together our main site about 2 years ago, since then I've used oscommerce for many other projects (none of which are online stores), because I was so happy with the way it works.

I would like to think that our site is successful, as our customers find it easy to navigate, despite many of them being from a "non computer generation". Whilst we aren't receiving thousands of orders a day, we're receiving enough (our store supplements our brick and mortar shop - and we're only just keeping up with orders as it is!).

Further - I'm incredibly proud of the site: it looks great, it does what it was designed for, it's improved upon everyday. I look back at what we used to have as a website, and I cringe a little!

I suspect Ed has another adjenda, it wont matter what we say, he/she wont be pursuaded.

Go on tell us, we should be using xxx cause its fantastic & we know no better.

<_<

ERmm ok. Don't know what an adjenda is, but I guess the thread aint going nowhere. People aren't really going admit at failure...

Just wanted to see who's managed to make a decent go at things as I see a lot of generic sites selling the same old things.

Please lock thread. :rolleyes:

I will just pop my 2 penneth in before/if the thread is locked.

I have run several stores over the years using osc and our latest store has been live for 2 months and has taken over 100 orders already.

I concur that success like beauty is in the eye of the beholder! If you have the time and resources to make a site successful then go for it.

The simple answer is 'Your site will only be successful if you make it successful'

Unfortunately a lot of people spend more time worrying about the code than worrying about products, content and most of all proactively generating sales!

These are the type of people who post such rubbish as 'osc is crap I have never sold 1 thing blah blah blah'

Like I said just my POV.

Regards

Aran

We have run a very successful osC shop, held onto it for over 5 years and sold it just a year ago. You can be as successful as you want to be but like everything else, you need to work at it. osCommerce out of the box (customer a) is not going to get you as much traffic as someone else's site that has been optimized (customer B), therefore customer a may be not as pleased as customer b. Asking who is successful and who is not is like going into a coffee shop and asking the same question, you will have people who don't answer because they don't want to, some didn't hear you and some just think you are rude and out of line. The ones that did hear you may or may not tell you the truth. osCommerce is also used by a huge number of our programming contacts for customers with no credit given to osC so some people run osCommerce and do not even know it.

Bottom line, do your homework. If you like it, try it. If you don't, no harm, no foul.

-Rebecca

And many shop owners do not want to put their shop address in the forum especially not in a tread like this...since it will lead to alot of "test-accounts" being made in their shop...

I am only at the research stage of things and just wanted to see what kind of percentage of oscommerce users have managed to create a successful business.

Also, what was the most difficult stage of making your business?

I understand your question. There's actually two answers though.

1. As everyone has pointed out, just having a store that is problem free is a succesful store.

2. (I think this is the answer you were looking for) I have an Oscommerce store that is succesful because my products are selling really well and I have no code problems.

As for your 2nd question. The hardest part that I had was installing some of the contributions. Alot of templates have broken code and you cant fully follow the contribution instructions to the "T" thus requiring a bit of PHP knowledge.

There's ALOT to making an oscommerce store succesful though. Installing it and adding the products is the easy part.

Getting good page rankings and advertising is the most important part.

You've asked a silly question that has zero relevance to anyone.

You are wrong- for someone getting ready to drop several hundred (perhaps thousand) dollars on an OSCommerce website- this question has HUGE relevance. If you can't see that then you are living in a very different reality from many store owners.

I am finishing up my first OSCommerce webstore that should go live soon and from the contributions I installed I think it should be pretty successful. My client already has customers from the previous incarnation of her website but she cannot manage her inventory and content dynamically necessitating the need for a new storefront which I am helping her with.

Economically, I don't think she wouldn't have been able to afford a contractor to do her site but since I wanted the OSCommerce experience I opted to do it for her. The best thing about OSCommerce is the wide variety of contributions including Ultimate SEO Urls by chemo that allow for Search Engine Optimization. It can also be its worst feature since the base product isn't very strong on its own (for stores with more complex requirements) and will require some effort, merging, coding, and installation.

But if you can handle some (generally simple) merging/programming of contributions then you can have a great OSCommerce store. I think as the look of OSCommerce becomes more CSS friendly people will be able to change the look of their store more drastically without having to do any PHP.

Your first store - good for you! And good for your client that she decided to use osCommerce.

However, the question posed by the original poster has zero relevance to your client.

Your client might think a success is earning $100 a week. Another person would call that a failure. Perhaps now I've made myself clearer?

:lol: I practically give my stuff away and I think my store is a success. :lol:

Your first store - good for you! And good for your client that she decided to use osCommerce.

However, the question posed by the original poster has zero relevance to your client.

Your client might think a success is earning $100 a week. Another person would call that a failure. Perhaps now I've made myself clearer?

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I am up and running since Jan. 2008, so, How is my store doing??? LOL - well, I got one order this past April - but I like my store, if I was a customer I would buy something from me :D

I receive more phone orders .. then actual website orders

I started to use Google base, and directories...

It takes time... and I am being patient..

Your "logic" states that because Success is subjective, that the question has no relevance. By this lame (and wrong) assumption any question asked on the General Chit-Chat Forum that has any ambiguity or subjectivity to it has no relevance to anyone. Obviously this is not the case. My client wants to know that if she needs a little extra functionality, like being able to track the quantities of specific attribute combinations (QTPro) or to temporarily close her store while she is on vacation, that this can be added.

She also wants to know that she has tools at her disposal to do some SEO. These are things necessary for her to have a successful site, along with a host of other things that she has to contend with being a Small Business Owner that I am sure Ed would be interested in hearing.

</feeding>

To the original poster- while OSCommerce is probable not developed OOTB enough for the average business, there are a multitude of great contributions that add the necessary features to your store to:

provide you with the Reporting Tools to track sales

Install the features you want your customers to have in their Interface

Do a little Search Engine Optimization to help increase your Page Rank

It's not perfect yet- for example there was no way for me to add extra pages to the website and, when I installed an Extra Pages contribution the URLs for the extra pages were so convoluted as to obviously not be SEO friendly, but there is a (mostly) great community of developers here and with all the Contributions available the possibilities are endless (as long as you can put in the time and/or money to get what you want).

As for the complaints about the stock look and feel: I have a few years of Design and coding under my belt and I was able to drastically change the look and feel of the store in just a few hours. I think a more XHTML/CSS friendly version of OSCommerce is scheduled on the road map which will open up a whole new avenue of design possibilities as well.

Holla,

Deep

Archived