• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

sessions

rmsigns

would someone please take a look at my session settings and let me know if these are correct?

thanks so much

m

Session Directory /tmp

Force Cookie Use False

Check SSL Session ID False

Check User Agent False

Check IP Address False

Prevent Spider Sessions True

Recreate Session False

Look in your includes/configure.php file and make sure the sessions line is not empty. If it is empty, it means you ae using disk-based sessions and, in that case, you would be using the server's tmp directory, which is a mistake. If it is not empty, then your settings are correct.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Look in your includes/configure.php file and make sure the sessions line is not empty. If it is empty, it means you ae using disk-based sessions and, in that case, you would be using the server's tmp directory, which is a mistake. If it is not empty, then your settings are correct.

Jack

hi jack,

i just checked and this is what's there, so what should i put in here?

define('STORE_SESSIONS', ''); // leave empty '' for default handler or set to 'mysql'

?>

oh thanks very much jason, i'll add the change. now do i go back to the session directory and change the /tmp to mysql or just leave this like it is?

Session Directory /tmp

Force Cookie Use False

Check User Agent False

Check IP Address False

Recreate Session False

oh thanks very much jason, i'll add the change. now do i go back to the session directory and change the /tmp to mysql or just leave this like it is?

Session Directory /tmp

Force Cookie Use False

Check User Agent False

Check IP Address False

Recreate Session False

No, the tmp directory is not correct, assuming a shared server. That can cause a number of problems, some serious. It needs to be set to a local directory.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

No, the tmp directory is not correct, assuming a shared server. That can cause a number of problems, some serious. It needs to be set to a local directory.

Jack

sorry jack i am really new at all this, when you say set the /tmp to a local directory that means? i am on a dedicated ip address.

m

sorry jack i am really new at all this, when you say set the /tmp to a local directory that means? i am on a dedicated ip address.

m

Go to your admin->Tools->Database Backups section and you will see the path used for your shop. It will vary with the server but it is probably something like /home/username/public_html/. Now go to your sessions directory and change
Session Directory /tmp

to

Session Directory /home/username/public_html/tmp

. Be sure the path is the same as the one you looked up (except for the admin part). Also make sure the tmp directory exists in your root directory. If not, create it (you can use any name you want as long as they match).

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Go to your admin->Tools->Database Backups section and you will see the path used for your shop. It will vary with the server but it is probably something like /home/username/public_html/. Now go to your sessions directory and change
Session Directory /tmp

to

Session Directory /home/username/public_html/tmp

. Be sure the path is the same as the one you looked up (except for the admin part). Also make sure the tmp directory exists in your root directory. If not, create it (you can use any name you want as long as they match).

Jack

I am wondering if this may have something to do with my issue of people always gettin gkicked back to the login.php page. Any ideas if this migh tbe the case? I posted something about half an hour ago, but have no responses yet...

Thanks for any help!

Being redirected to the login page is usually caused by a lost session ID so, yes, this could cause it.

Jack

hey jack

this is what my backup looks like:

Backup Directory: d:/hshome/myname/mywebname.com/admin/backups/

so i need to make a file that says /hshome/myname/mywebname.com?

sorry to be so painful i just want to set things up correctly.

thanks for all your help

m

It should be the full path: d:/hshome/myname/mywebname.com/tmp. I'm sure on a Windows server is the drive is required or not but I think it is. You could ask your host if in doubt.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived