• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installation on Development Machine

stoopidme

I did not find any thread related to my problem. I have install PHP, Mysql, and apache according to the instruction in Dave Mercer book, osCommerce for Professional. It looks like just fine, since db.php and test.php file were shown in the browser as expected (to test that PHP, mysql and apache are working properly with each other).

The problem is, after extracting the catalog folder to the htdocs folder in apache, have the apache running (as shown in the indicator), when I click on the index.php in localhost/catalog, the browser just went out blank (in firefox), in the ie it shows http 500 error.

I have tried to just go straight to localhost/catalog/install/index.php . Also tried to click localhost/catalog/install/install.php . Still the same result occurs.

Btw, I used Windows Vista Home Premium.

Is there anything I can do with it? Please help me.

Thank you,

Stephen

Btw, I used Windows Vista Home Premium.

if you are using the development machine you should be using the linux os.

Windows Vista Home Premium is not server edition os, in most of cases the file permission is creating the problem.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Windows Vista Home Premium is not server edition os, in most of cases the file permission is creating the problem.

Does anything work on Vista? It should, it just doesn't.

Does anything work on Vista? It should, it just doesn't.

in normall development should be used proper os, the Vista is desktop os. I know that you can install the PHP, MySQL & Apache but effect will be different.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

in normall development should be used proper os, the Vista is desktop os. I know that you can install the PHP, MySQL & Apache but effect will be different.

I use Vista 64 with wamp and it works flawlessly as a dev machine for oscommerce (plus a lot of other things)

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for taking your time and effort. It turns out that I have made a mistake. I did not follow through all the requirement to change the conf file in the apache server.

Now, I am able to use my computer as a development machine without any trouble, although I am using Windows Vista Home Premium.

As for the next problem I have encountered during installation, any name I want (that I put in the column) for the database file in the installation page was rejected.

This problem was resolved by creating a folder with the name I want, where to store the database. The folder must be created in the same folder with folder 'test', and folder 'mysql' (the content of the folder is only this 2 folders). Then, activate the mysql, activate the directory, and at last put the name of the created folder in the column for database name in the oscommerce installation page.

I hope this thing might help somebody out there. For further details, please e-mail me. Thank you.

Archived