• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Loading time and design comments

lindsayanng

I am not sure if it i just my computer, or what - but the load time on my website seems really slow!! I never usually trust load times on my work PC, everything is slow on this cpu, but my mac at home usually has REALLY QUICK load times, even if flash heavy sites.. but mine still loads slow.. i was hoping others could open my site and let me know how it works for them.

Also, i am looking for suggestion on design.

Here are things i was PLANNING on changing but have no yet.

Finish the categories images

customize all the blue buttons like "continue" and "add to cart"

possible set a fixed width (but i'm not sure about that)

add a flyout menu to the articles

add the matching info box header image to the categories box (it disappeared when i added the dynamic menu)

add categoies to the main content where the little blurb about the store and the pictures of the sugar gliders are

So AND and ALL suggestions are very much welcome!

here is the website:

FURRY FAMILY SUPPLIES

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

Some things to try:

1. Compress your images. Gift vouchers are jpeg format. Would GIF be better/smaller for these small images?

2. In admin>configuration, enable GZip compression. It'll stop your store working with very old browsers (IE3 for example), but will give you much improved speed.

3. Banner/header - compress as with gift vouchers, if possible.

4. Some speed may be down to your host. Is there a limit on query speed, for example, to your database? Your host can help with this.

HTH

Danny

i will contact my host and ask about that info.

When i saved all my images in Illustrator, i saved for Web which ALWAYS gives me a .jpg file, but i am sure i can change them to .gif without a problem, but then i need to change the file path's and find all of those things.. which CAN be a pain, but not too much.. if it optimizes my site for users, it is worth it.

I am re-making the buttons which will DEFINITELY be .gif

Any suggestions on the look/layout

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

I have mixed feelings, to be honest.

On the one hand, osC shoppers will love it, as it's very similar to the standard layout. There's a comfort in knowing where to click and navigate with osC.

However, I personally don't like the osC layout. It look very functional (and it is), doesn't say "wow".

Templates are one way to go - or STS (contribution) for a simple way to create your own skin for osC.

i will NOT use a template. Personally, i like to have some control over what code is going into my website, plus i like to learn as i am going.. also, this is a work in progress. There are some layout changes that I wanted to do. For instance, i woul dlike to put a box in the top right (where the white space fom the banner is) and add a quick log in, my account, shopping cart, ect.. Like this website has PetCo

I also am going to try to change the bar that the breadcrums are in and the way those look.. as well as the footer bar. I am also thinking of customizing the New Product Box, and want the images to come up not in rows like they are now, but in columns and rows..

I agree that there is DEFINITELY some work that needs to be done on the layout. I am just having a hard time finding the correct contributions to make it all happen.. also, i am new to this WHOLE thing, so i have to learn as i go, read books, and ask A LOT of questions sometimes before i can continue on with integrating my changes.

That's great - you should know what code is in your site.

However, I'd check out STS anyway.

You do the coding. You decide on layout. You implement it. You manage it.

The only difference is that the coding is far easier as it's basically HTML, rather than PHP (which is a bit clunky at times).

gotcha.. i will look into that.. Is implementing something like that at this stage of the game going to undo everything that i alread did??

TBH, I'm not sure - as it depends on what you've done.

However, there's a dedicated support thread for it - so loads of help available if you need it.

:P

yea, i have posted MANY times in certain support thread with little to no help.. so i dunno.. i kinda like working at it on my own with the help of the contributions and all that.. I will look into STS, but it just seems everyone has issues as some point with it.

STS is only of any use if you are proficient with HTML and have an aversion against working with PHP code.

If you have the skills or simply posses the persistance to push through working with default oscommerce is way superior.

Also potential users should be aware that STS increases the db query count (ie. can make your site slower) and sts further complicates the adding of new contributions.

yea, i decided against the STS and figured i would just push through it. I am pretty profient in HTML, and have made MANY HTML only website.. But i have books and such and have been learning A LOT (with thanks to this forum and knowledge base)

I feel like i can change the look of the site enough to take it away from the basic oscommerce template without getting insanely indepth. I have been mainly focusing on the functionality of the site.. gift cards, shipping tables, discounts, ect.. now i am just starting to focus on the looks of the site.. i didnt want to be adding boxes and pages after i had the design all right..

anyways.. i have big plans, but it seems every time i add something, something else messes up.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Lindsay,

The site does load a little bit slow, but it's not frustrating to me.

Perhaps you could try the topic A Store Speed Optimization In Progress to get some tips.

Also and more important than the above imo: the right column isn't visible and I have to use the slidebar at the bottom to get to it.

The scroll bar is the one thing that i know i need to work on. It all has to do with my banner size. Its too big since i added the shopping cart and login in the header. Thanks for the tips. ANy more is welcome

Hi Lindsay,

I'm not sure if your store is live, I think that it is still work in progress.

First, you should have all buttons of one style. Now it looks like half of them still are default osCommerce buttons and they are in complete different style.

A lot of pictures are missing. Probably you want to install that nice contribution that checks all image links.

Counter on a bottom reminds me a family page, not a store, get rid of it.

Footer bar is short, I think it should be at least the same size as header navigation bar.

Privacy notice, conditions of use should not be empty.

Articles are very short, probably they are just a test. You gotta have them more than 2 and bigger than couple sentences.

Probably you will add more products, but for now you basically have more gift certificates than actually products, but I think you will have them.

Consider getting SSL also.

So it looks like a lot of work ahead, but I'm sure you will be fine.

Good luck!

Computers777dotcom

I have SSL, you will see it in the nav. bar. I am waiting on the image to upload from my host.

I wasnt really asking for a review on my entire site, i just wanted to know about the load time. There are missing images because i said i needed to make more category images, there are NO PRODUCTS up for sale yet since the store isnt live.

i wanted design suggestions.. The look and feel of the site. I know nothing is DONE yet.

the articles are tests just to see what the article manager is like.

I just wanted the design and speed checked on other browsers.

I have SSL, you will see it in the nav. bar. I am waiting on the image to upload from my host.

I wasnt really asking for a review on my entire site, i just wanted to know about the load time. There are missing images because i said i needed to make more category images, there are NO PRODUCTS up for sale yet since the store isnt live.

i wanted design suggestions.. The look and feel of the site. I know nothing is DONE yet.

the articles are tests just to see what the article manager is like.

I just wanted the design and speed checked on other browsers.

Talking about loading time it was fine, I didn't notice long download.

Trust me, I didn't notice your SSL sign, so customer not gonna notice it too. Call me blind, but I looked on your site looking for this again and didn't notice yet. You not gonna explain every customer that you have it, right?

I just suggest you to place it that way so everybody can see it very easy.

One more thing: that Your IP Address is: .....

Get rid of this, it doesn't give buyer any help. It has opposite result by my opinion. It's like: "You should know we are watching you...whereever you go..." I feel uncomfortable if somebody give my information I don't even ask. It doesn't do any good for quick sell. That's just my opinion, but this thing is like that counter on a bottom: I put it there just because it fill the space...

Otherwise it's gotta be fine. I like your header.

Computers777dotcom

what i was TRYING to say was that i wasnt LOOKING for feedback on ANY of that stuff bcause my site isnt close to done and i just needed those specific things looked at - hence the title of my post.

as for the SSL.. when you get a page that requires a secure connection, you will see a little lock with a different colored background in the url box at the top of your broswer.. THAT is what MOST people look for anyways. ANYONE can put a random image on their site CLAIMING to have SSL, they might browse by and look for the seal, but bet your butt they are going to look for the padlock image in the url bar.. WITHOUT THAT i would be without customers.. the seal is just to advertise it.

AND, i DID say that i was waiting on my host to send the image to me..

what i was TRYING to say was that i wasnt LOOKING for feedback on ANY of that stuff bcause my site isnt close to done and i just needed those specific things looked at - hence the title of my post.

as for the SSL.. when you get a page that requires a secure connection, you will see a little lock with a different colored background in the url box at the top of your broswer.. THAT is what MOST people look for anyways. ANYONE can put a random image on their site CLAIMING to have SSL, they might browse by and look for the seal, but bet your butt they are going to look for the padlock image in the url bar.. WITHOUT THAT i would be without customers.. the seal is just to advertise it.

AND, i DID say that i was waiting on my host to send the image to me..

Well, call me stupid, but after I open any site I never look at my address bar and check its background. The seal is for advertising and it does it MUCH better then that background of address bar or a lock sign next to it. If I don't see it on a first page, why I will consider go further and open pages that require security? But you said you ask host to give it to you, so it should be ok soon. I'm sure they have snippet of it on a their site, so you can easy set it up on your page.

Computers777dotcom

Site loads fine for me...using Cable and from Australia ... all pages loaded up nice and fast no issues :)

I too am using cable in Oz and the site is pretty fast.

You still need the category images on the front page (I am sure you are aware of that).

I have an ssl seal on my site so that everyone who hits any page sees it.

You site is coming along fine. Will your site ever be "done", mine isn't yet.

thanks coopco. I actually need to have my host EMAIL me their security seal, i guess because right now its a shared SSL.. Once my site makes some money, i will be getting aprivate one, but not as of yet. I'm small beans right now.

I know abotu the category images. I actually wound up hiring someone to do them for me because i will NEVER be done with the functionality of the site if i also have to do all those graphics. ONE graphic took me FORVER. That BIRDS image was about 3 hours of drawing.. LUCKILY i have a tablet, but even if with that, its a LOT of work. They are actual drawings from hand, not a photoshopped image btw.

As soon as i get all the LITTLE things sorted out like the missing images and the lack of products, i will look for more input.

Right now, i REALY am interested in the site load time, and the basic layout... does the header fit in everyone's screen? is there anything funky happening??

...Right now, i REALY am interested in the site load time, and the basic layout... does the header fit in everyone's screen? is there anything funky happening??

My screen resolution is 1024X768 and I noticed that when I open your site I should use scroll in order to see right column even if window is maximized.

Computers777dotcom

My screen resolution is 1024X768 and I noticed that when I open your site I should use scroll in order to see right column even if window is maximized.

My screen size is 1280x960, and too have to scroll right when the screen is maximised.

Have a look at Fixed Width Site With CSS addon.

I am using this width: 955px;

ok.. i will check that out, i have a super high res screen and it loads fine on mine.. thanks

Archived