• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

configure.php warning

ricardor

I have just installed oscommerce but keep seeing this warning at the top of the page in red:

Warning: I am able to write to the configuration file: /customers/adulthaven.co.uk/adulthaven.co.uk/httpd.www/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

I have set the permissions to 777, 644, 444 and 400 but it still appears. What do I do?

Just looked on my hostings control panel and file manager but cannot see any options for changing file permissions..

Try setting the permissions to 444 using your hosts control panel.

Jack

Hi, I am experiencing a similar problem, I downloaded the Smart FTP Client to see if that would help but the config file, CHMOD that needs altering is blocked. I have asked my hosting company (mydomain.com) who say that they do not provide support for OS Commerce, I have again requested their help to access the file to change the permissions. As yet i am awaiting a response. If you find a soltion please post it - I will do the same.

Ive just asked them and this was their responce:

"No, you can only do this through a ftp program or using chmod"

There is your clue!

Access your files on your host's server using an FTP program and make the file read only.

There is your clue!

Access your files on your host's server using an FTP program and make the file read only.

Ive tried that, doesnt work. Ive used SmartFTP and set it to 444 (read only) but the warning sign still stays there and it automatically goes to 644 when I check it again...

Hi, I've been trying to solve the problem of the "red error" messages for the last few days and have had numerous problems with the Hosting company (MyDomain). However I have now been successful and my site is now, on the face of it working and I can edit change delete text etc. To cut my latest lengthy conversation short with the hosting co. They accessed the file manager on the hosting site and selected the change mode and entered 775. This has solved the problem for me. i hope this helps.

Ive tried that, doesnt work. Ive used SmartFTP and set it to 444 (read only) but the warning sign still stays there and it automatically goes to 644 when I check it again...

This might work.

Download "configure.php" to your computer using your FTP program.

Using your FTP, rename or delete the "configure.php" on the server.

Upload "configure.php" from your computer to your server and CHMOD to 444

Ive just asked them and this was their responce:

"No, you can only do this through a ftp program or using chmod"

That should be your signal to change hosts - quickly. Anyway, if changing the permissions from an ftp program doesn't work, do the following:

- create a file named whatever you want - chmod.php is a good choice.

- add this code to it

<?php 
chmod('includes/configure.php', 0444); 
?>

- upload the file to your root directory.

- visit your site like this: http://yoursite.com/chmod.php

The permission will be changed then. If your shop is not in the root, you will need to change the path in that file.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived