• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Editing Text/user permissions

bill.baron

Hi, this may same like a simple thing to do- but i keep getting the following error -

Error: I can not write to this file. Please set the right user permissions on: /usr/local/pem/vhosts/160193/webspace/webapps/osCommerce/httpdocs//catalog//index.php

Can someone help me please as I really don't know how to set the right user permissions!!! Can anyone out there help please

:(

It depends on what you are trying to edit and how you are editing it. The permissions are probably correct. My guess is that you are trying to edit the file while on the server. This is possible but not all servers and programs allow it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi I am only trying to edit the 1st page of the OS Commerce site where it states,

"That file can be edited manually, or via the Administration Tool with the Languages->English->Define or Tools->File Manager modules." I navigate my way to where I need to be as it directs,

But I just keep getting that error! It's so frustrating. So do you think I should be downloading "OS commerce" making my amendments and then put it back on the server? I'll give that a go and keep trying. Thanks.

That text is correct. You need to edit the indicated file to make those changes. But it doesn't say to edit them while on the server. The typical way of editing a file is to download it to your computer, edit it and upload it again. The Textmaster contribution will allow you to edit via admin and there are some ftp/editors that will allow editing while on the server.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

I downloaded the file as you suggested and made the amendments - but now I am unable to upload the file, I even tried to delete the original file before uploading it but it came up with a user permissions error

Error: I can not write to this directory. Please set the right user permissions on: /usr/local/pem/vhosts/160193/webspace/webapps/osCommerce/httpdocs//catalog//includes/languages/english[/i]

Any suggestions would be appreciated, this is feeling a lot more complicated than it should be. Thanks for your help.

The permissions on the directory need to be 755 or 777, depending on your setup. If they are not, try chaning them. If it still doesn't work, you'll need to check with your host to see what the problem is.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived