• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't run anything in .htaccess file

AlwaysNewbie

Every time I try to put anything in .htaccess file it gives me Internal Server Error.

I don't know what's going on, probably settings somewhere else.

It drives me crazy, I cannot finish installation of Ultimate SEO URLs mode because of that.

I was told to ask host about ability to AllowOverride All and was told that is available by default.

Also I was told that mod_rewrite is installed by default also.

But somehow if I uncomment even lines like

<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">

AllowOverride Options

</Directory>

it gives me error right away when I try to open my site.

What can be a problem?

Thanks for any help,

Mike

Computers777dotcom

What can be a problem?

the web hosting provider is limiting the .htaccess function

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

the web hosting provider is limiting the .htaccess function

Thanks for reply.

Can I check how provider is limiting .htaccess function?

I got answer from my host provider that it allows me AllowOverride All and mod_rewrite is installed, so in other words, there should not be a problem from their side...

Can you give me please any line of code which should be work for sure in .htaccess file if it allows me at least something?

Thanks for any help

P.S. So I can at least check if it works at least a bit...

Computers777dotcom

Ok, I was told by my host (www.freehostia.com) that it doesn't allow to have these options in .htaccess file by security reasons.

Why these #$%^&$%^& people didn't say it right away?

This host is very cheap, but I don't like when they lie. At first they told me that it should work, then they told me that it probably would not, then they told me that by security reason they don't allow that. So, guys, stay away of this www.freehostia.com.

Computers777dotcom

Archived