• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I restrict sales of selected items to specific region?

aogden

The owner of the site I am working on (see it here) is not authorized to sell certain items to customers living outside of the state of Alabama. Is there a way to not only display a message something like "Orders for this item requires an Alabama billing address" if the address they have entered is NOT Alabama, but also to disable the ability to purchase the item? We just went live -- he has already received some orders but they must be canceled because they ordered some of these restricted items and their billing address is outside his authorized region. The best the seller can do is refer the customer to the authorized dealer for the customers region.

I've just come off a trip to give my daughter away and so may not be thinking straight. Is this something simple or is there a contribution to address this situation that I've overlooked?

Alex

You can add text to the product description mentioning the requirement. If you want to actually prevent it though, code would have to be added to check for the State to prevent the order from going through.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If you setup your Zones, Tax Classes if you operate any... then your problem will be solved...

Sorry... you also have to setup your shipping module where you only have to reference which Zones you accept Orders from...

Hope this helps you

If you setup your Zones, Tax Classes if you operate any... then your problem will be solved...

Sorry... you also have to setup your shipping module where you only have to reference which Zones you accept Orders from...

Hope this helps you

Handle,

I was thinking that Zones define what your store as a whole can do and not particular items. The bulk of what he is selling is available to anyone who might order. It is just a small number of items that CANNOT be sold to someone outside of the state of AL.

I know you set Tax Class for each item you put in. Perhaps I need to go back and look closely at that. But my thinking about that right now is it would only set whether sales tax is charged if in AL. It wouldn't prevent you from buying it.

Right now the comments by Jack_mcs sounds right. A small note with the item descriptions has already been added by my client. The special coding is where I would have trouble.

I thought surely someone had written a contribution to do this since it is doubtful I am the first to face this dilemma, but so far I haven't been able to find one. Part of the problem of that search for me is that I don't know just what to search for. I searched for "+available +region +only" and the like and found no help. Any advice on what I should be looking for in the contributions or forums?

Alex

The owner of the site I am working on (see it here) is not authorized to sell certain items to customers living outside of the state of Alabama. Is there a way to not only display a message something like "Orders for this item requires an Alabama billing address" if the address they have entered is NOT Alabama, but also to disable the ability to purchase the item? We just went live -- he has already received some orders but they must be canceled because they ordered some of these restricted items and their billing address is outside his authorized region. The best the seller can do is refer the customer to the authorized dealer for the customers region.

I've just come off a trip to give my daughter away and so may not be thinking straight. Is this something simple or is there a contribution to address this situation that I've overlooked?

Alex

have you looked at site:http://addons.oscommerce.com/ and http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/2173

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Archived