• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Adding Pages To Site

Hello fellow Oscommerce geeks.

I am relatively new to both PHP and Oscommerce with a minimum of experiance in both. I have managed to get a web store up and running on the first crack and actually make it somewhat esthetically appealing. Most everything is working okay and I have been able to take orders on it already.

What I want to do or what my question is would be "how do I add new pages to my site that I can add new content with and will automatically be hyperlinked to say in the information section box on my home page?"

My web store is an online skate pro shop. That being said, say I want to add other pages like an 'About Us' page or 'History Of Rollerskating', 'History Of Skateboarding', or whatever and I want a link to it in the information box. How would I go about doing this. It there a 'standard' way of doing this or something similar.

I have other design and function questions but I will leave those for another place and time.

Thank you all in advance for your help and assistance in this matter and for having this forum.

Peace,

Jeff

There are methods of doing this manually, which have been discussed in this forum. I have written code to do this automatically & allow editing of pages & menus in admin, but so far there seems to be little call for it so I`ve not done a contrib, let me know if this is what you're looking for.

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=301396

:)

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Hello fellow Oscommerce geeks.

I am relatively new to both PHP and Oscommerce with a minimum of experiance in both. I have managed to get a web store up and running on the first crack and actually make it somewhat esthetically appealing. Most everything is working okay and I have been able to take orders on it already.

What I want to do or what my question is would be "how do I add new pages to my site that I can add new content with and will automatically be hyperlinked to say in the information section box on my home page?"

My web store is an online skate pro shop. That being said, say I want to add other pages like an 'About Us' page or 'History Of Rollerskating', 'History Of Skateboarding', or whatever and I want a link to it in the information box. How would I go about doing this. It there a 'standard' way of doing this or something similar.

I have other design and function questions but I will leave those for another place and time.

Thank you all in advance for your help and assistance in this matter and for having this forum.

Peace,

Jeff

Jeff,

The knowledge base will show you how to do this the "osCommerce" way...

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/C...g_Area/Boxes/49

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I should also mention that there has been a contribution around for quite a while that will automatically add new pages to your site that is called Information Pages Unlimited.

You can download it here:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1026

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

I should also mention that there has been a contribution around for quite a while that will automatically add new pages to your site that is called Information Pages Unlimited.

You can download it here:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/1026

Hope this helped,

Okay. Cool. I don't know anything about contributions, how to add them, what to add or download them to, or what risks their are in using them. I guess it may be best for a novice to just do it the Oscommerce way. I'll give that a try first and let you know how it goes or if I run into any walls. Thank you both very much for your help. Have an awesome week.

Peace,

Jeff

Jeff,

The knowledge base will show you how to do this the "osCommerce" way...

http://www.oscommerce.info/kb/osCommerce/C...g_Area/Boxes/49

The instructions state to open the catalog/shipping.php page (and other pages) in your favorite editor and save it as another name, for instance, about_us.php.

Exactly what editor would this be. Obviously, this will not work using "MS Notepad" nor when I open the pages in Oscommerce is there any "Save As" function. Do they mean a PHP editor such as the one in the C-Panel of my web host provider.

Thanks,

I use HTML-Kit to edit, it free http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

I use HTML-Kit to edit, it free http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

Okay. Oscommerce itself lets you edit pages but it doesn't have a "Save As" function to let you save a file under a different name. Does HTML-Kit or other editors do so. If it will allow me to save a file under a different name to create a new page that would be nice. I don't know how but I assume it does. Where do I save this program to and use it to edit my store. On my computer or the web host's computer.

Thanks,

Okay. Oscommerce itself lets you edit pages but it doesn't have a "Save As" function to let you save a file under a different name. Does HTML-Kit or other editors do so. If it will allow me to save a file under a different name to create a new page that would be nice. I don't know how but I assume it does. Where do I save this program to and use it to edit my store. On my computer or the web host's computer.

Thanks,

Ofcourse you can save anything as anything, html kit can edit any internet document, install it on your pc, edit files there then upload to server.

Sam

Contributions:

Ofcourse you can save anything as anything, html kit can edit any internet document, install it on your pc, edit files there then upload to server.

Okay. It's installed on my PC. I opened and configured it. I asked it to open my URL www.jamskater.com. Fine, it displayed it. Then I tried to open the page catalog/shipping.php to save as about_us.php as instructed to in the Oscommerce article on adding new box pages to my Information Box. My editor says that no such file exists although I know it does. What's up with that?

Okay. It's installed on my PC. I opened and configured it. I asked it to open my URL www.jamskater.com. Fine, it displayed it. Then I tried to open the page catalog/shipping.php to save as about_us.php as instructed to in the Oscommerce article on adding new box pages to my Information Box. My editor says that no such file exists although I know it does. What's up with that?

Actually, I think I don't have a directory "catalog" per se. I think shipping.php is just under public_html/

Is this the file they meant?

Actually, I think I don't have a directory "catalog" per se. I think shipping.php is just under public_html/

Is this the file they meant?

Jeff,

A few things...

1. The term "catalog" simply means the folder where your osCommerce files are located. This could be a true folder called "catalog" or any folder name where you placed these files such as "my_store" or "eshop" or whatever. It could also mean the root folder if you did not create a specific folder to place the files.
  2. The term "catalog" could also refer to the catalog side of the shop, opposite of the "admin" side of the shop. The catalog side of the shop is what viewers see when they visit your osCommerce store. The catalog side of the shop files are in the "your_domain_name.com/includes" folder.
  3. When editing your files, you should first make a copy of them on your own computer so you will not be working on the "live" files. You do this with a FTP client.
  4. Now that the files are on your computer, you can easily make a copy of any file and then rename that copy anything you want.
  5. Edit the files using any text editor. Their are several popular ones such as PHP Designer 2007, etc.
  6. TIP: Get a good file comparison program such as Beyond Compare or WinMerge to assist you in troubleshooting and contribution installation. This is optional but highly recommended.
  7. Upload the edited files using your FTP client. If file permissions need to be changed, do this using your FTP client (if on a Unix type server).

The above about sums up the file editing process.

Hope it made things a little clearer for you,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Jeff,

A few things...

1. The term "catalog" simply means the folder where your osCommerce files are located. This could be a true folder called "catalog" or any folder name where you placed these files such as "my_store" or "eshop" or whatever. It could also mean the root folder if you did not create a specific folder to place the files.
  2. The term "catalog" could also refer to the catalog side of the shop, opposite of the "admin" side of the shop. The catalog side of the shop is what viewers see when they visit your osCommerce store. The catalog side of the shop files are in the "your_domain_name.com/includes" folder.
  3. When editing your files, you should first make a copy of them on your own computer so you will not be working on the "live" files. You do this with a FTP client.
  4. Now that the files are on your computer, you can easily make a copy of any file and then rename that copy anything you want.
  5. Edit the files using any text editor. Their are several popular ones such as PHP Designer 2007, etc.
  6. TIP: Get a good file comparison program such as Beyond Compare or WinMerge to assist you in troubleshooting and contribution installation. This is optional but highly recommended.
  7. Upload the edited files using your FTP client. If file permissions need to be changed, do this using your FTP client (if on a Unix type server).

The above about sums up the file editing process.

Hope it made things a little clearer for you,

Okay. I assume that the HTML-Edit program does not have an FTP function. I don't really have any FTP program per se at the moment. Not sure which ones are free and easy to use.

As far as text editors go I guess for that matter I could just edit using MS Notepad. I know very little PHP and a fair grasp of HTML but I'm no expert. I'm not sure what advantage there is to using these HTML and PHP editors. Is the one you were referring to Free or what.

I see there is more than one shipping.php file just as there is more than one file named index.php in various folders in Oscommerce and they contain different information. Kinda makes it hard to know which one they are talking about in the Add Box Page tutorial.

Thanks,

1. You can't work with osCommerce unless you get an FTP programme and learn how to use it. You can use FileZilla, which is free, or WS FTP which is better but not free - although it does come with a tutorial on start-up which explains how to add a site to it to connect to.

2. In osCommerce there is one file in the root of the site and another file of the same name in the includes/languages/your_language/ folder. The one in the root contains all of the PHP coding and the one in the language level folder contains the text definitions used on that page.

3. The best file to copy and amend is privacy.php

4. You can use MS Notepad, just not Word or Wordpad.

Vger

1. You can't work with osCommerce unless you get an FTP programme and learn how to use it. You can use FileZilla, which is free, or WS FTP which is better but not free - although it does come with a tutorial on start-up which explains how to add a site to it to connect to.

2. In osCommerce there is one file in the root of the site and another file of the same name in the includes/languages/your_language/ folder. The one in the root contains all of the PHP coding and the one in the language level folder contains the text definitions used on that page.

3. The best file to copy and amend is privacy.php

4. You can use MS Notepad, just not Word or Wordpad.

Vger

Okay. I have downloaded and setup the FileZilla to successfully connect to my site.

Yeah, I see what you are saying with one file being in the root folder of the site and one of the same name in the language folder on the site. Now you say the best one to copy and amend is the privacy.php file. But which one of the privacy.php files am I supposed to use that changing the other four files they mentioned in the tutorial are supposed to be "pointing to" or "linking to" that I can modify. The one in the root directory or the one in the languages directory. I am just assuming the one in the languages directory as I am probably best off not screwing with the one with all the coding in it.

Thanks,

Okay. I have downloaded and setup the FileZilla to successfully connect to my site.

Yeah, I see what you are saying with one file being in the root folder of the site and one of the same name in the language folder on the site. Now you say the best one to copy and amend is the privacy.php file. But which one of the privacy.php files am I supposed to use that changing the other four files they mentioned in the tutorial are supposed to be "pointing to" or "linking to" that I can modify. The one in the root directory or the one in the languages directory. I am just assuming the one in the languages directory as I am probably best off not screwing with the one with all the coding in it.

Thanks,

Well, I have done everything that the tutorial on Add Box Pages has said to do. I now see a listing in my Information Box on my Home Page that says About_Us. I have also created both files named about_us.php. One that goes in the root directory and one that goes in the languages/english directory.

I know that I am supposed to FTP them to my site into the public_html directory and that appears to be my only option with FileZilla. That being said, once I transfer them with FileZilla how do I find them and get them into the proper directories on my site and would I be doing so within the Oscommerce "File Manager" function.

Any takers.

Thanks loads,

Well, I have done everything that the tutorial on Add Box Pages has said to do. I now see a listing in my Information Box on my Home Page that says About_Us. I have also created both files named about_us.php. One that goes in the root directory and one that goes in the languages/english directory.

I know that I am supposed to FTP them to my site into the public_html directory and that appears to be my only option with FileZilla. That being said, once I transfer them with FileZilla how do I find them and get them into the proper directories on my site and would I be doing so within the Oscommerce "File Manager" function.

Any takers.

Thanks loads,

Uhhhhh, I think I just did it successfully. I just uploaded the about_us files into the appropriate (i hope) locations on my site with FileZilla. I clicked on About Us in the Information Box and it went and found the page with my site's custom stylesheet. Of course, I still have to edit it and enter all the information I want on the page within the Oscommerce File Manager file 'edit' function. I just wanted to first make sure I could do this all successfully before putting a lot of time into designing and doing data entry into all the pages I want to put on my site. I just don't feel that I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer all the time.

This should help me to expand my skating site quite a bit and make it into more than just a store.

Thank you everyone for your input and assistance. You're the best. ;)

Peace,

Uhhhhh, I think I just did it successfully. I just uploaded the about_us files into the appropriate (i hope) locations on my site with FileZilla. I clicked on About Us in the Information Box and it went and found the page with my site's custom stylesheet. Of course, I still have to edit it and enter all the information I want on the page within the Oscommerce File Manager file 'edit' function. I just wanted to first make sure I could do this all successfully before putting a lot of time into designing and doing data entry into all the pages I want to put on my site. I just don't feel that I'm the sharpest knife in the drawer all the time.

This should help me to expand my skating site quite a bit and make it into more than just a store.

Thank you everyone for your input and assistance. You're the best. ;)

Peace,

Well, everything was going perfectly on all of my newly installed and Added Information Box pages. I added several pages to my Information Box from the generic Privacy.php page. The links and pages worked perfect. However, when I added some copy and HTML code to one of the pages that it didn't like I got the following fatal error messages:

Fatal error: Call to a member function add_current_page() on a non-object in /home/jamskate/public_html/includes/application_top.php on line 312

Now my site is totally gone. So, what the @#$% happened and how do I get my site back? Or can I get it back? I restored all of the original generic entries out of the privacy.php page that I used as suggested as a templete and saved it. Still nothing.

Help!!!!!!!!

:(

Archived