• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Set file permissions with admin login

angoo83

I am taking over my friend's osCommerce website temporarily and have found that I need to change the file permissions on one of the folders in the home\my_name\public_html\ directory. I was given the admin. login so I can view the file permission settings on files and folders using the osCommerce file manager, but do not know how to change them. I am unable to find an edit function that allows me to change the permissions of the folder that I want. Is there an edit function or some piece of code I can change to change the folder permissions? I have read a lot of forum topics discussing changing file permissions by editing the necessary file permissions on a local system then uploading them via FTP (or even editing the files directly using the FTP software), but I have tried using my admin login and password and it does not work. Is there a way to change file/folder permissions using only the osCommerce file manger, which I only have access to? Any help is appreciated.

You need to use file manager in cpanel

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

Auto Backup your Database, Easy way

Multi Images with Fancy Pop-ups, Easy way

Products in columns with multi buy etc etc

Disable any Category or Product, Easy way

Secure & Improve your account pages et al.

Forgive me, but I am new. What is cpanel and how do I access it? Does this mean there is no way to modify the file permissions using the osCommerce file manager?

Should you be looking after someones site if you don't know what you're doing? Is your friend happy if you damage his site through inexperiance?

unless you're on a windows server, cpanel is where you log in to control a site (e-mail, redirects etc etc) log in is provided by the host. Filemanager is buggy, should be removed, & versions I`ve tried wont allow any cmod anyway.

Before you ask, setting by ftp usually wont work due to server restrictions.

BACKUP before you do anything & triple check before you try.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Sam

Remember, What you think I ment may not be what I thought I ment when I said it.

Contributions:

The problem I have is not that I do not know what needs to be changed, but that I am unfamiliar with this interface and don't know how to get the access to change what I want. And besides I don't think I could damage the site without proper access anyway :P From your response it sounds like the osCommerce admin login is a different, less privileged login than the login into cpanel. Are the 2 logins different? Is the osCommerce login set up from cpanel? Maybe all I have to do is ask my buddy for the cpanel login in addition to th eosCommerce login to get complete access. Thanks again!

osC is software running on the server so access at software level, cpanel gives root access to site & can control everything at root so you can easily destroy a site through the cpanel. cpanel allows you to install software such as osC on your site, set passwords, email redirects, ip-blocks etc. You can also do backups there, probably first thing to do.

Docs are here http://www.cpanel.net/support/docs/11/cpanel/index.html

You will have to get log in details from your friend.

Its no good keep banging your head against a locked door, it wont get you in.

:rolleyes:

Sam

Contributions:

Archived