• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager questions

Hi there. i am HOPING someone can give me some insight as to what to do here.

I have a basical oscommerce site with a few mods. I hired someone to do the install for me, and someone to do the shipping mods, however i have also added a few contributions myself (easy ones) I did the constant contact and some design contributions and they worked out GREAT. It was a great feeling of accomplishment, and i was able to learn more about how php works with html and mysql to make a complete website.

ANWAYS, with my novice knowledge of php and the workings of oscommerce, is the article manager contribution something i should try, or should i just hire someone else to do it. It is most definitely the MOST in-depth contribution i looked at, but it is REALLY a great one and can be VERY VERY usefull to me, as i was considering making a separate page for every article i write.

Anyways, i took a look at the readme and it seems very easy to understand.. Put this file here, this code here sort of thing.. but then i get to the EXTRAS and i started to get confused.. the article_manager_sql is VERY VERY intimidating to me and I am worried that i might mess something up.. Is this set of dirrections optional, or is this the instructions on how to make the article manager work with the database.

I really really hope someone can give me some insight before i start working.. and yes, i know.. BACK UP!!!

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

it is a whole new section to your site and pretty selfcontained.

I can't see any reason why you couldn't accomplish this yourself.

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON

I do not use the responsive bootstrap version since i coded my responsive version earlier, but i have bought every 28d of code package to support burts effort and keep this forum alive (albeit more like on life support).

So if you are still here ? What are you waiting for ?!

Find the most frequent unique errors to fix:

grep "PHP" php_error_log.txt | sed "s/^.* PHP/PHP/g" |grep "line" |sort | uniq -c | sort -r > counterrors.txt

Sql

1) Go to your ISPs admin area for your site.

2) Click on the icon for Mysql, then find the link for phpmyadmin, it might be hidden away at the bottom but not on all admin sites. If you can’t find this, please consult your ISP's help desk.

3) In some cases, you may have to choose which database your OSC tables are located on. If this is the case, please choose using the dropdown box.

4) Click on "SQL" on the navigation bar.

5) Enter/paste your SQL in the textbox provided or, if you have a file containing the sql commands, click on Import and follow the on screen prompts.

6) For both methods click "Go"..

7) If all goes well, your SQL query will run successfully

For another explanation see:-

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...dmin+mysql+code

Or for a contribution to allow you to run SQL Script from Admin

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4567

Cheers!

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

thannk you both for the input. I really hope this works, but if not I only loose my time As long as I keep my updated back up. Is it hard to restore a side from the oscommerce admin backup or should I do a do plete back up through dreamweaver?

Also, when you explain all that about the mysql database, are you just giving me tips for accessing mysql or specific ways to access it for this contribution? I have NEVER done anything with a database which is why I am scared

Also, so de I already have a working site, do I need to set up new tables the way you suggested. Do should I just go specifically by the contribution instructions?

I am sorry if I am asking stupid questions. Just that mysql read files in the extras section has me do fused and a little scared

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

well, I think i am going to tackle this installation over the weekend. I have been reading through the intructions and decided that i can probably figure it out.. HOWEVER, i am still VERY intimidated by the above code that i mentioned (About the mysql) and am a little scared to tackle that part, as i have never EVER set up my own database.

I hope some of you guys who are good at this still will be around this weekend, but i think i MIGHT end up requiring some guidance/

alright guys..i am starting.. so anyone have any tips for me on the EXTRAS/article_manager_sql file?