• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie questions-

Okay, I hope these are stupid questions and somebody will be able to just quickly answer them.

I'm making a web page to sell prints of event photographs. My first problem is that it seems incredibly tedious to set up my items in the catalog- since all of them have the same name as the image filename, and all have the same price and roughly the same description, it seems like it should be faster.. Like, if I could duplicate items and then just change the relevant numbers, or if it was something I could script.

The other big thing was that I wanted to add options to the picture- different sizes, different finishes. Do I really have to go to each individual product and individually give it all the possible options? Is there a way to say "These 150 products here ALL get this set of options?"

I'm new to a lot of this stuff, so I'm just using the admin tool.. But it seems like if I could get at the database directly I might be able to automate some of this with some sort of script of my own, but I don't really know the structure of the DB, and I'd need to learn a scripting language too.. but it might be quicker than setting up all 330 images with all the options, the way I'm doing it now..

Also- when I tried setting up product options, I couldn't figure out how to control which option was the 'default.' So, when I loaded a product page, it would pick options that cost extra money sometimes.. So, I just got rid of options all together, for now. But, I'd really like to figure them out!

Try looking at the contribution called Easy Populate

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Okay, I hope these are stupid questions and somebody will be able to just quickly answer them.

I'm making a web page to sell prints of event photographs. My first problem is that it seems incredibly tedious to set up my items in the catalog- since all of them have the same name as the image filename, and all have the same price and roughly the same description, it seems like it should be faster.. Like, if I could duplicate items and then just change the relevant numbers, or if it was something I could script.

The other big thing was that I wanted to add options to the picture- different sizes, different finishes. Do I really have to go to each individual product and individually give it all the possible options? Is there a way to say "These 150 products here ALL get this set of options?"

I'm new to a lot of this stuff, so I'm just using the admin tool.. But it seems like if I could get at the database directly I might be able to automate some of this with some sort of script of my own, but I don't really know the structure of the DB, and I'd need to learn a scripting language too.. but it might be quicker than setting up all 330 images with all the options, the way I'm doing it now..

Also- when I tried setting up product options, I couldn't figure out how to control which option was the 'default.' So, when I loaded a product page, it would pick options that cost extra money sometimes.. So, I just got rid of options all together, for now. But, I'd really like to figure them out!

I'd suggest going through the contributions and finding a solution there. Otherwise, there is a copy fcn in the admin to duplicate a product.

I am a Jedi, like my father before me!

Archived