• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

change featured products to specials

harryv

Hi There,

i would like to change the featured products on my store front to show the specials instead, how can i do this?

Also my sit is onlu showing 4 items per page(2columnx2rows) and is centered, how can i get it to show 8 items per page(2columns x 4 rows)?

my sites is www.aaaqualityreplicas.com

Thanks

Harry

oops you have a Template Monster template........ you will not be able to change it.....

Why cant i change it? This is just a template, i can see the specials.php file. All i need to do is point the intial file(index.php) to show the specials instead of the featured products(which in fact shows the latest products added to the store). This should typically be just a value, right?

Then instead of showing only four items, i want to show eight items, this again should be a value, the question is where do you change this?

ps: As im not a web designer, i bought a template. Thats all. From there on i want to customize my store just like everyone else. I have seen contribs regarding customizing the look and feel of oscommerce, but none compare with the ready made templates, at least aesthetically.

Thanks for the help

You should be asking for support from Template Monster is what I think the previous poster is saying.

I have already done this, and they just point me to another site (which ofcoarse you have to pay) to do any customization for you.

I noticed that there is another topic very similar to my request(regarding the number of items to display) here is the link http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=304888

having installed the template, most of the oscommerce files are still there, so its just a matter of enabling or slightly modifying the correct files. The question is which files do i need to do this?

Any help will be greatly appreciated,

Also as a programmer, i dont really understand why everyone is so against buying a template. We are not designers, just programmers.

having installed the template, most of the oscommerce files are still there, so its just a matter of enabling or slightly modifying the correct files. The question is which files do i need to do this?

We cannot tell you, as you are using a modified osCommerce which might well have comepletely different code than the usual osCommerce codebase - that cannot be hard to understand for a programmer, surely?

However, to change the number of items shown is a setting within your admin section - I can't remember off the top of my head, but try "max number of new products" within the configuration section. And then hope that your template is one of Template Monsters "better" ones so it should work.

What you have done is made a fundamental mistake that is easy to make, and many people do it. You installed a temlate before you got to understand how osCommerce works. When something goes wrong with your template, you will now have to accept the fact that there may be resistance to you getting support here (rightly or wrongly), and the fact that Template Monster will send you to "template tuning" to pay more and more and more.

Burt is exactly right.

If you downloaded the free open source oScommerce and then wanted to ask questions here and make modifications for it at this forum for your software you would get support for your shopping cart here. We, someone would know how to help you as we know the codes to modify.

If you buy a template where someone else has modified the original oScommerce code from and hacked and moved to make your template and then yes you will and should have to pay to customize the template makers code to make it just what YOU want.

When shopping for a template you should make sure it has the look, feel and functions that you require or be prepaired to pay for custom work to fit your needs.

I have modified several Template Monster templates in the past for clients and will not do it any more as the issues down the road never stop. They do not use osc code and just add the custom template to files that need to be changed they work backwards making osc fit their code.

Archived