• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Update

GlennW

I wish to update my 2003 installation to the latest v2.x version.

I am not sure I know what I am doing but can follow instructions. Will the update change my colors, font sizes, page names, general set up and links to the 5000 products by returning everything to a default set up or will I be able to retain my set up and just get the benefits of the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

I wish to update my 2003 installation to the latest v2.x version.

I am not sure I know what I am doing but can follow instructions. Will the update change my colors, font sizes, page names, general set up and links to the 5000 products by returning everything to a default set up or will I be able to retain my set up and just get the benefits of the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

Glenn

Is there no answer to this? I need to re-install osCommerce and need to know what will happen to my old installation. Will I have to create my estore over again?

Glenn

Glen, I am no expert.

Actually I am pretty new to this myself. But thought I would give you a possible idea.

Create a new catalog folder on your host for testing the new installation. Install the new code there and then merge and import your old site into it. This way you can see what will happen without interrupting your live site. You can test and play with the files to get it looking right. If you have modified your cart in many ways, I would be highly surprised if you never ran into some issues updating your site. With the test site it will buy you some time to fix them without being in the crunch to get your site back online. The when the time comes to upgrade the live site, it will be done fairly painlessly.

I believe this would be the best solution, but just my opinion, hopefully others can help you more with the proper decision

Cheers

Glen, I am no expert.

Actually I am pretty new to this myself. But thought I would give you a possible idea.

Create a new catalog folder on your host for testing the new installation. Install the new code there and then merge and import your old site into it. This way you can see what will happen without interrupting your live site. You can test and play with the files to get it looking right. If you have modified your cart in many ways, I would be highly surprised if you never ran into some issues updating your site. With the test site it will buy you some time to fix them without being in the crunch to get your site back online. The when the time comes to upgrade the live site, it will be done fairly painlessly.

I believe this would be the best solution, but just my opinion, hopefully others can help you more with the proper decision

Cheers

Thanks. This makes sense. I was hoping there was a way of updating without going through such gyrations.

Well unfortunately updating doesn't seem to be as easy as one would like. I believe this mostly is due to the fact that many contributions manipulate the site core code or at least intertwine with them. I would suspect that many changes have been done with the code since 2003 , so it means that its going to be even more hassle then say if you had rc1 and wanted to go to rc2a or something. Likely somebody wouldn't upgrade in that situation, but just example.

My site is not live as of yet, but I would imagine that I will also have a test site to implement changes. Giving me the ability to upgrade easy and add contributions for testing, before actually adding to live site.

Maybe there is a better way, but I am unaware of it. One piece of software that has been invalueble to me has been winmerge. I think this is a piece of software you should probably look into getting. It will help you compare two files to see the differences. So say you have a problem with index.php when you upgrade. Then you can take your old index.php and compare it with the new one, in side by side windows. This is probably the most used software for me, since I have started playing with Osc. winmerge is opensource and free, you can download it from sourceforge.net

One thing I forgot to mention is make sure you backup everything before even starting, that includes your database(sql)

Good luck, hopefully it goes smooth for you

Cheers

Archived