• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New store about to go live.

rs2k

This is my third design. I finally did something different. We are trying to focus on SEO with this store. The design is just about finished. I have cleaned up nearly all of the W3C validation errors and am now moving on to good header and meta tags, product descriptions, category descriptions and so on. We're also planning on trying to make the store Web 2.0 compatible in the near future.

Anyway, here she is!

http://www.floormatsnmore.com

my honest opinion about the look of the site is that it does not look like a professional site. It has NOTHING to do with the functionality though. It seems to function GREAT, but the colors and using a file folder for an icon seems lazy to me.

If you could use the CHEVY symbol at the top for the category image *if possible and get a stock photo of the type of car ie: cavalier and put it in place of the folders. SOMETHING like that. Or you can do a quick little illustration. If you are NOT artistic at all, a GOOD tip to making graphics is if you want a picture of the front end of a chevy cavlier, but you dont want to pay for a professional picture, you can take it and import it into Adobe Illustrator, then draw over the image with a solid black line, kinda like when you use a light table to trace. Then you can just delete the lower layer (the actual photo) and you have a perfectly proportionate picture that took all of 10 minutes to create and was free.

I just think that those file folders look lazy.

Also, and this is just coming from someone who shops online a lot.. Store with a black background annoy me. I would use a grey or something. Think car interior, Beige, Grey, blues, ect. The solid blue for the boxes is great, but the background just kinda hurts me eyes. If you really want to keep the blue, make a table and make that background white and the rest blue, like this site did with the red:

USSPEED FLOOR MATS

Also, why does the pull out menu only work when you are already in that sub category. It would be great to be able to see the sub categories before clicking the main category, otherwise you have links for the same thing on the same page and it is rather redundant.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

my honest opinion about the look of the site is that it does not look like a professional site. It has NOTHING to do with the functionality though. It seems to function GREAT, but the colors and using a file folder for an icon seems lazy to me.

If you could use the CHEVY symbol at the top for the category image *if possible and get a stock photo of the type of car ie: cavalier and put it in place of the folders. SOMETHING like that. Or you can do a quick little illustration. If you are NOT artistic at all, a GOOD tip to making graphics is if you want a picture of the front end of a chevy cavlier, but you dont want to pay for a professional picture, you can take it and import it into Adobe Illustrator, then draw over the image with a solid black line, kinda like when you use a light table to trace. Then you can just delete the lower layer (the actual photo) and you have a perfectly proportionate picture that took all of 10 minutes to create and was free.

I just think that those file folders look lazy.

Also, and this is just coming from someone who shops online a lot.. Store with a black background annoy me. I would use a grey or something. Think car interior, Beige, Grey, blues, ect. The solid blue for the boxes is great, but the background just kinda hurts me eyes. If you really want to keep the blue, make a table and make that background white and the rest blue, like this site did with the red:

USSPEED FLOOR MATS

Also, why does the pull out menu only work when you are already in that sub category. It would be great to be able to see the sub categories before clicking the main category, otherwise you have links for the same thing on the same page and it is rather redundant.

Thank you very much for your honest opinion. The categories box is temporary until I can get a pull down menu working. We are trying to get the store out there and indexed as soon as possible and the categories boxed was our best solution. I do agree the file folders aren't very professional looking, but we needed a picture marker for the categories and we though that a generic automobile would look worse and that taking the time to look for every vehicle out there would have been far to time consuming for the small increase in sales we thought it may generate. The manufacturer emblems is a very good idea.

Archived