• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Need some advice - Infringement of Copyright?

muhsinb

I've had my website up and running for well over year and its been doing ok!

Yesterday, i was checking out my competitors (as i usually do) and i came across a site, which had EXACTLY the same text as my product descriptions, privacy policy, custom info pages, shipping methods, etc etc!

One page was even linking my images to his website (which my host has now sorted by changing the root level .htaccess file), using my effin bandwidth! How cheeky.

I've been in touch with developer, who said its upto the site owner to maintain content, which is fair enough. The site owner is extremely unresponsive! I've been in touch with the hosting provider and told them of the situation, but i probably wont here from them till tomorrow.

Is there anything else i should be doing?

Cheers,

MB

You can use WHOIS to find out the host and contact them.

They have te power to control what is on their servers.

If he/she is hosting their own site, then you can take down the legal cease and dissist mode...

You can use WHOIS to find out the host and contact them.

They have te power to control what is on their servers.

If he/she is hosting their own site, then you can take down the legal cease and dissist mode...

Yup - done that! Its with www.1an1.co.uk

I've sent them an email to resolve asap.

Cheers Mate,

MB

just out of curiousity, did your product descriptions come from the manufacturer or distributor? because its common for everyone to have the same descriptions if the distributor offers software or packages of products.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

just out of curiousity, did your product descriptions come from the manufacturer or distributor? because its common for everyone to have the same descriptions if the distributor offers software or packages of products.

I spent 3 weeks writing them up

oh, well then i would be PISSED. Make sure to get screen shots of the website. That will be your ONLY proof if you go to court.

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

oh, well then i would be PISSED. Make sure to get screen shots of the website. That will be your ONLY proof if you go to court.

The person blocked my IP Address, but i'll get onto that asap!

The person blocked my IP Address, but i'll get onto that asap!

Hi Mossy

I would ask the person to add something like

Publication is <u>Fully Copy Righted by Mossy</u> <your store link here>

this will serve two purposes 1. everyone would know who wrote them and 2. it will help your ranking in some of the search engines.

This will save allot of money (which you probably will never get from them) and no more head aches.

Just a thought. :blink:

Don't audit life, show up and make the most of it now. Legally, of course!

Archived