• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SEO

Hi,

I've recentley taken over an online shop, it's been on the go for three years now and I need some exposure, I need more people visiting my site and I need more sales! I don't really have a clue about SEO. I see that on the descriptions page there's a box where I can add keywords, but I also know that SEO has a lot more to it that just adding a few words.

Can anyone offer any advice - where do I begin? do I need to hire someone to do this for me, or can it be done on my own? How do I find the keywords for each product?

I know it'll be a while before I start to get a decent rank in the sarch engines once I have got the SEO sorted, and until then I was thinking about using google adwords - is this a good idea?

I'd really appreciate some help/advice as this is something I have no idea about and I need to learn!!

So please, if you can add anythinguseful, then please do so.

I was thinking about using google adwords - is this a good idea

this is good idea, but can be very expensive as you paying for every click.

For SEO you can do the following:

1) optimize the website for search engines (add the title & description for every page, small modification of oscommerce is requred)

2) use the sitemaps & submit sitemaps to Google, Yahoo, Ask & other search engine (more is better)

3) Submit to high PR directories & search engines.

4) advertise your store online using forums (some community boards allow to post the website links in user signatures & ads)

5) advertise your store offline, offer to clients small discount like 5% or 10% off from their first order.

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

There's lots that you can do yourself before you hire an expert.

Check ut my blog for some free advice on SEO, tags and lots of other bits and bobs.

www.datamouse.biz (top right corner blog icon)

forgot to mention, you need to select SEO from the category dropdown for SEo related info)

(my bad)

Alex, really appreciate the help here, so thanks!

But could you expand further on what you've said in points 1-3?

There's lots that you can do yourself before you hire an expert.

Check ut my blog for some free advice on SEO, tags and lots of other bits and bobs.

www.datamouse.biz (top right corner blog icon)

forgot to mention, you need to select SEO from the category dropdown for SEo related info)

(my bad)

I'll take a look and thanks to you too!

I've tried to read about this kinda thing but a lotof it goes right over my head!

It's kinda like trying to explain the offside rule to a girl, so please forgive my ignorance! lol

1) optimize the website for search engines (add the title & description for every page, small modification of oscommerce is requred)

>>Covered in the blog.

2) use the sitemaps & submit sitemaps to Google, Yahoo, Ask & other search engine (more is better)

>>These are a simple txt or xml document that Googlebots love, as it shows where all your pages are. See Google for more on their sitemaps.

3) Submit to high PR directories & search engines.

>>Write content and submit to Digg/blogs/wherever you can. Also submit your site to search engines (see my blog for how to get listed in 24hours)

great stuff! thanks for that, I'll look into it and get cracking, if I have any problems am I okay sending you a message?

great stuff! thanks for that, I'll look into it and get cracking, if I have any problems am I okay sending you a message?

Of course

I think you should consider adding the SEO ultimate contribution to your osc. It will convert your URL`s to more search engine friendly ones.

Archived