• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customizing osCommerce navigation

dingerkingh

To start off, I will say I have a good understand of PHP and CSS. However, not quite good enough to work my way through what I want to do - especially if there is an easier way to do what I am trying. So when in doubt, just ask. Basically what I am trying to do is have a couple of different ways to browse products. I will be using the typical navigation on the left to display products. Ex. Table Linens, Bed Linens, Cushions, Canvas Art, etc. will be listed on the left, and then when clicked on it will display the different products. The part I don't know the easiest way to tackle is to sort by product line. Example: Click a picture navigation and have it bring up all products in Modern Designs, Antique Designs, Another Designs. I hope this makes sense? If it doesn't, I would be happy to clarify. Thanks!

Look on www.w3schools.com for how to insert images and link from them.

To find out what the link needs to be, use the links on the left of your site to get the display you want, then use the url in the address bar but remove &osCsid= and everything after it.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Judging by your response, I guess I wasn't very clear. Maybe this will help describe what I am trying to do. I know how to insert images as links and roll overs and all that jazz. That stuff is easy. I should be able to figure this out, but I seem to be getting lost in all the code.

Okay, I have done some thinking. Here is the basic heiarch of how I think I might be able to pull it off. Is there a way that I can display all products in a certain category? I was thinking if I organized my products like:

Modern Designs:(main category)

......Table Linens(sub category)

............(Products)

......Bed Linens(Sub Category)

............(Products)

......Cushions

............(Products)

......ETC.

............(Products)

Antique Designs:(Main Category)

......Table Linens(sub category)

............(Products)

......Bed Linens(Sub Category)

............(Products)

......Cushions

............(Products)

......ETC.

............(Products)

then I could somehow display all products within a main category (say antique designs) regardless of what sub category they fall in. Then for the other navigation, I could somehow populate a list of a specific sub category (say table linens) regardless of what main category they fall in. I hope I don't sound like a rambling buffoon. If this isn't making any sense, just let me know and I will give it up. lol.

One last effort to be as clear as possible. I want to click on a link "Antique Designs" and have it bring up all products within Antique Designs.

I want to click on a link "Table Linens" and have it show all of the "Table Linens" from all Main Categories.

I promise I am done now.

OR! I just thought of this too, lol. Would the best way to make copies of the index file that pulls in the information from the data base. That way, I could edit each page to pull in different information. Like a "Antique Design" copy that pulls in only antique designs? I took a lot of web development classes, but can't seem to wrap my mind around this totally. Is this to complicated for this forum?

The best way would be to use the existing queries in index.php, modified to your requirements if necessary. Which brings to mind that you will need some knowledge of SQL also and a much better working knowledge of the osC code.

I would like to think that nothing is "too complicated" for this forum, however, just what are you asking for and what is the extent of the help that you are requesting?

And as far as "So when in doubt, just ask.", no, when in doubt SEARCH. When you have a specific unanswered question, ask.

osC includes several ways to display products and categories already; specials, new products, best sellers, also purchased, by category, by manufacturer as well as some 4000 plus community contributed addons/modifications. Use these files as frameworks to do what you want to do. That's why it is called "Open Source" and licensed under the GNU GPL.

For ALL problems, please review this link first -> osCommerce Knowledge Base

Archived