• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Developing on windows, hosting on unix

anthonykeane

Hi all

Quick Question. I’m developing my site on a PC running windows using wamp. My site is hosted on a unix box, should I expect any problems when I upload?

I had started developing on a mac (running leopard and mamp) but found there were some problems, some pages had some errors when I uploaded to test!

Thanks all

Only with the configure file, and that will be the case not matter what.

Permissions will need to be changed on certain folders / files, but again its normal

regards

Nic

If mysql and php are the same versions, it should be ok.

I would install the same version of osc on the website, get everything working, then ftp all files except the configure.php files to the website. Empty the webdatabase, then load the one from the test site if you have your products there.

If mysql and php are the same versions, it should be ok.

I would install the same version of osc on the website, get everything working, then ftp all files except the configure.php files to the website. Empty the webdatabase, then load the one from the test site if you have your products there.

Great, thanks for your help

Great, thanks for your help

My approach has been to develop the site on a virtual install of SUSE 10. I use Linux in work and wanted to learn more about it, but felt a dual boot was not such a good option for me. I'm using VMware, and it means I can develop the site within SUSE on my second monitor, and do a lot of the graphics work on Windows i.e. with Photoshop.

It actually runs fine, so the SUSE machine is basically the web server, with Apache and mySQL running on it. I check all my pages on that machine with Firefox2, and also on windows in Firefox2, and also IE, Safari and Opera, to make sure my formatting works as it should on all browsers.

One major benefit of developing on the virtual machine is that its isolated from the internet, so I can leave all permissions wide open during development. A bigger boon is that you can "snapshot" the machines state at any point during development, this is an image of your memmory and hard disk at that point, so you can go back to that point later if you have a major problem.

Definately worth looking at.

CT

Archived