• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is osCommerce the appropriate solution to my requirements?

keithclark

I own a used bookstore with over 21,000 different items. I need a database and online sales venue that will use one inventory to pull from. I will be selling at my bricks and mortar store at the same time that I'm selling books online. I cannot physically keep two different inventories. My host does not allow for remote mysql access.

Is osCommerce the right solution for my application? Is there a more appropriate solution out there?

Keith

osCommerce should do the job

Please read this line: Do you want to find all the answers to your questions? click here. As for contribution database it's located here!

8 people out of 10 don't bother to read installation manuals. I can recommend: if you can't read the installation manual, don't bother to install any contribution yourself.

Before installing contribution or editing/updating/deleting any files, do the full backup, it will save to you & everyone here on the forum time to fix your issues.

Any issues with oscommerce, I am here to help you.

Hi Keith,

I've been using a script to catalog my dvd's, it pulls the title, genre and a few other bits from a DB, it should not be hard to modify it to integrate with an oscommerce DB.

Therefore allowing online sales and stock deductions by oscommerce, and giving you a simple webpage to check stock etc for your other sales methods.

Thanks, Alex, I tried them but they never returned my registration confirmation email. Not a good sign.

Keith

That script should not be mentioned on this forum as it's a competitor, having said that I looked and it is a great disappointment, slow, cumbersome, untested. If it ever becomes a competitor for oscommerce it will be a long while in coming.

That script should not be mentioned on this forum as it's a competitor, having said that I looked and it is a great disappointment, slow, cumbersome, untested. If it ever becomes a competitor for oscommerce it will be a long while in coming.

Well, they don't even respond to registration emails, so don't be worried about it being in the forums!

Keith

I suppose paying the money is worthwhile. I can't get a proper response here within an hour as to whether this application is even suitable to my needs.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism to improve your business going forward.

Keith

lol, as I see it you need an online store and another application to share the same database, so you can sell online and in bricks and mortar and keep track of stock. correct me if I am wrong.

Oscommerce will handle the online sales without any problem and deduct from stock any purchases, any simple script like the one I suggested above will read from the oscommerce database and allow you to check stock from your bricks and mortar, with a little patience I'm sure the community members will provide a suitable bit of coding to allow this using free scripts.

But as you need it within the hour can I suggest you contact Chris http://www.frozeninteractive.com, he will then ask me, I will post on here and together we will donate your money to the oscommerce project.

I hope you take this as constructive criticism to improve your business going forward.

hmmph

lol, as I see it you need an online store and another application to share the same database, so you can sell online and in bricks and mortar and keep track of stock. correct me if I am wrong.

Oscommerce will handle the online sales without any problem and deduct from stock any purchases, any simple script like the one I suggested above will read from the oscommerce database and allow you to check stock from your bricks and mortar, with a little patience I'm sure the community members will provide a suitable bit of coding to allow this using free scripts.

But as you need it within the hour can I suggest you contact Chris http://www.frozeninteractive.com, he will then ask me, I will post on here and together we will donate your money to the oscommerce project.

hmmph

Thank you for your help.

Keith

hmmph

As a sidenote....any company named frozen interactive does not exactly inspire a hot, rapidly moving company....

Just a note, sorry about that.

Keith

I suppose paying the money is worthwhile. I can't get a proper response here within an hour as to whether this application is even suitable to my needs.
As a sidenote....any company named frozen interactive does not exactly inspire a hot, rapidly moving company....

Just a note, sorry about that.

You couldn't be too sorry because you went ahead and posted your thoughts.

It would be best if you found another cart with a hour response time.

Good luck!

... My host does not allow for remote mysql access...

Keith

How can they disallow it? You need a new hosting company..someone who understands database's and how it works. It would be fairly simple for your store & web shop to share a DB, in real time.

HostMaster

You couldn't be too sorry because you went ahead and posted your thoughts.

It would be best if you found another cart with a hour response time.

Good luck!

I thought about your feedback over our long weekend and would like to relay to you some thoughts. Yes, I was angry and rude, but you, as a team member, should have encountered this before and understood new, potential users of your software.

Recommending finding another cart with the appropriate response time was not the best choice, in my opinion.

Something explaining the support solutions, typical response time to queries and an understanding of new users frustrations would have gone a lot further in assisting me and instilling a sense of cooperation.

Just a few notes about the thoughts I had.

Again, thanks,

Keith

osCommerce is a great solution for you.....

when you scan a book at your physical store have a script to deduct the item from your quantity (stock) and when it is zero disable that item to be sold....

No big deal

osCommerce is a great solution for you.....

when you scan a book at your physical store have a script to deduct the item from your quantity (stock) and when it is zero disable that item to be sold....

No big deal

Yeah, I understand that portion. My problem is that my host does not allow for a live mysql session. Just uploading via .csv.

Very frustrating and confusing. Are all hosts like this?

Keith

How can they disallow it? You need a new hosting company..someone who understands database's and how it works. It would be fairly simple for your store & web shop to share a DB, in real time.

HostMaster

Actually, Jerry, I'm having a hard time finding a company that will allow it, at a reasonable cost that is.

Keith

I've been following this thread, and though I have no idea what the commercial issue was and regret the impetuous response by some, I have yet to see the most pertinent first question asked, "What is your current POS/Bookkeeping solution?"

Any number of very simple scripts written in perl, php etc should be able to easily synchronize databases.

And as to being able to find web hosting that allows remote database access at "reasonable cost", without naming names I know of one world class, international company (one of the largest) that has plans as low as 2.99USD/month "allowing" this.

For ALL problems, please review this link first -> osCommerce Knowledge Base

I've been following this thread, and though I have no idea what the commercial issue was and regret the impetuous response by some, I have yet to see the most pertinent first question asked, "What is your current POS/Bookkeeping solution?"

Any number of very simple scripts written in perl, php etc should be able to easily synchronize databases.

And as to being able to find web hosting that allows remote database access at "reasonable cost", without naming names I know of one world class, international company (one of the largest) that has plans as low as 2.99USD/month "allowing" this.

We use Open Office Base at the moment.

Keith

I'll name some. GoDaddy, as an example:

Unfortunately, we do not allow external connections to our database servers. When connecting to a database in your Shared Hosting account, you must access it through the Database section of the Hosting Control Center.

Keith

Like I suggested early on, and the remote sql access should not be an issue as the script can reside on the same server running oscommerce ?

Archived