• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

help on how to edit default pages

howdy!

how could i perform these?

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=274968

i found those others in my osCommerce admin.. so i had edited some

but this "catalog/includes/languages/English/index.php"i can't find..

can i edit this through my oscommerce admin or in my host admin?

i am hosting with lunarpages. i tried the lunarpages control panel.. i am looking for it but can't find it..

so where could i edit thus pages mentioned? :-"

thank you very much..

:thumbsup: i think i stumbled on the correct direction.

still. i think though i've located it..

i'll have lots of questions in the future.

thank you

I'm completely new to this, but learning as I stumble along.

I have Dreamweaver to edit files with, but if you don't have that, you can use windows notepad or download other php editors ... Google php editors and you'll find a list of commercial and freeware...

You can also use the admin panel "tools" "file manager" to edit files, but I found it cumbersome.

What works for me is to download (ftp) the files I want to work with from my site to my computer's hard drive. Edit the files, then upload them back to my site. Check to see if it works - if it does, yay!

But before doing that, COPY each file before you make any changes into a separate backup folder. If your changes don't work you can reload the original files.

I'm not a programmer, but want to learn as much as I can about php. The easiest website I've found for understanding php is www.killerphp.com. The video tutorials are very basic.

I too have LunarPages. You can also edit your files thru the cpanel files manager, but again it's cumbersome and not so easy to make backup copies. The one thing that did work well was changing the file permissions here -- when I tried to use ftp to change permissions, the changes didn't "stick".

Hope this helps,

-sam

Oh, and it's easy at first to get confused between catalog/admin/includes and catalog/includes. Make sure you know where you are before editing anything. Many files have the same name, but are in different folders. If you can't find something, look back at your path.

-sam

I'm completely new to this, but learning as I stumble along.

I have Dreamweaver to edit files with, but if you don't have that, you can use windows notepad or download other php editors ... Google php editors and you'll find a list of commercial and freeware...

You can also use the admin panel "tools" "file manager" to edit files, but I found it cumbersome.

What works for me is to download (ftp) the files I want to work with from my site to my computer's hard drive. Edit the files, then upload them back to my site. Check to see if it works - if it does, yay!

But before doing that, COPY each file before you make any changes into a separate backup folder. If your changes don't work you can reload the original files.

I'm not a programmer, but want to learn as much as I can about php. The easiest website I've found for understanding php is www.killerphp.com. The video tutorials are very basic.

I too have LunarPages. You can also edit your files thru the cpanel files manager, but again it's cumbersome and not so easy to make backup copies. The one thing that did work well was changing the file permissions here -- when I tried to use ftp to change permissions, the changes didn't "stick".

Hope this helps,

-sam

If you use a FTP program it will make the editing go much faster when uploading and downloading files to edit. I use SmartFTP. There' also CuteFTP and other free ones. Also, a good php editor is EditPlus. You will have to "Google" these. One of the Senior techies on here recommended EditPlus sometime back. Notepad is good but Windows will many times add a blank space at the end or beginning of a php file and then you have errors on your website.... EditPlus won't do this to you! LOL

Good luck.

Archived