• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Multilayer SEO Pop Out Menu

Really like this contribution. Unfortunately, I am having a couple of niggling issues:

1. If I change the background colour of the subfolder style, it will get 'over-written' white because of the background .gif that is used as a menumarker (works fine in firefox, though)

2. Is there any way that a link to the main index page, specials and featured products could be incorporated?

Thanks for such a great contribution!

Here you go Richard, as a "one off"

includes/functions/fwr_cat_functions.php

Find (about line 169) ..

<div class="menudiv">

Add immediately BELOW (above the <?php) ..

Check the links because at least FILENAME_FEATURED_PRODUCTS is wrong, didn't know what it was

<ul id="menu_999">
 <li><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT); ?>" title="Home">Home</a></li>
</ul>
<ul id="menu_998">
 <li><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS); ?>" title="Specials">Specials</a></li>
</ul>
<ul id="menu_997">
 <li><a href="<?php echo tep_href_link(FILENAME_FEATURED_PRODUCTS); ?>" title="Featured Products">Featured Products</a></li>
</ul>

Find (about line 229) ..

foreach($categories as $cat_id => $key) {

Add immediately ABOVE ..

$javamenustring = '"menu_997","menu_998","menu_999",';

Reset the menu cache then have a look at the site.

Edited by FWR Media

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks very much!

I appreciate all your help on this It will be a hell of an improvement on what I had before.

I think I'm getting a bit carried away and I want the site to be the best it can be. Unfortunately, the "best it can be" is far beyond my skills and is heavily reliant on other peoples abilities!

Thanks, once again, for your time, now go and watch some rather poor Sunday TV!

Thanks very much!

I appreciate all your help on this It will be a hell of an improvement on what I had before.

I think I'm getting a bit carried away and I want the site to be the best it can be. Unfortunately, the "best it can be" is far beyond my skills and is heavily reliant on other peoples abilities!

Thanks, once again, for your time, now go and watch some rather poor Sunday TV!

Does that mean it worked, or you haven't tried it yet?

now go and watch some rather poor Sunday TV!

Well I'm going to watch England play football badly in 12 mins.

Edited by FWR Media

Fantastic, it worked!

Thanks for taking the time out. I'd been on it for 6hours and got nowhere near - and looking at the solution, I was never likely to either!

Maybe England should stick to playing Caribean countries and I should stick to Dune2!

Thanks once again.

Was there a quick solution to the background .gif? Not to worry if there isn't, it's still miles better than what I had!

Edited by zaphod71

hey mate just a quick one...we have added a category that was needed but we DONT want this category to be displayed in the SEO Pop out menu ... is this possible for this category (with category ID 57) NOT to be shown in the menu??

Cheers!

hey mate just a quick one...we have added a category that was needed but we DONT want this category to be displayed in the SEO Pop out menu ... is this possible for this category (with category ID 57) NOT to be shown in the menu??

Cheers!

you can probably just replace the while loop in includes/functions/fwr_cat_functions.php (about line 203)

with ..

$exclusion_array = array('57'); // Exclude these category ids
 while($row = tep_db_fetch_array($result)){
if( !in_array($row['categories_id'], $exlcusion_array)) { // Exclude category ids
$categories[$row['categories_id']] = array('id'	   => $row['categories_id'],
										   'parent'   => $row['parent_id'],
										   'sort'	 => $row['sort_order'],
										   'path'	 => '',
										   'name'	 => htmlentities($row['categories_name']));

} // End exclude category ids
}

Edited by FWR Media

you can probably just replace the while loop in includes/functions/fwr_cat_functions.php (about line 203)

with ..

$exclusion_array = array('57'); // Exclude these category ids
 while($row = tep_db_fetch_array($result)){
if( !in_array($row['categories_id'], $exlcusion_array)) { // Exclude category ids
$categories[$row['categories_id']] = array('id'	   => $row['categories_id'],
										   'parent'   => $row['parent_id'],
										   'sort'	 => $row['sort_order'],
										   'path'	 => '',

} // End exclude category ids
}

Excellent that did the trick ... just had to change if( !in_array($row['categories_id'], $exlcusion_array) to if( !in_array($row['categories_id'], $exclusion_array) and reset the menu in admin and it fixed it all up...cheers mate :D

This is really good solution for me. But I have a problem with Turkish characters in menu. Turkish chars are not shown correctly

http://www.hepsistem.com/index.php

To see correct characters, I put my current DHTML Categories menu under it.

Please help

I'd love to help but I'm afraid my knowledge of language special characters and conversion you could write on the sharp end of a pin.

It is something I need to learn about though so hopefully someone with some knowledge will give me some pointers.

Does that use code page conversion? From any code page to UTF-8?

DHTML Categories menu pulls out the category names from database and prints as it is without any problem. Did anybody install this category menu apart from English store?

I've found the solution

fwr_cat_functions.php line: 208

change:

to

'name'	 => htmlspecialchars($row['categories_name']));

htmlentities converts all extended characters, such as Ğ -> &artd;

htmlspecialcharacters does the same but is more specific to do that.

Note that, I don't know if this is applicable to everybody but worked for me

Edited by expert

I've found the solution

fwr_cat_functions.php line: 208

change:

to

'name'	 => htmlspecialchars($row['categories_name']));

htmlentities converts all extended characters, such as Ğ -> &artd;

htmlspecialcharacters does the same but is more specific to do that.

Note that, I don't know if this is applicable to everybody but worked for me

Good catch expert. It won't affect anyone using "non extended" characters but it should really be htmlspecialchars.

Edited by FWR Media

Hey rob i'm so sorry to be a pain but I have one last question if you dont mind...

Your menus are working perfectly ... but this is the issue im having...

I'm using an addon which requires my doctype to be set to the following:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

I am currently using this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

When I use the one I'm currently using it works perfectly...when I change it to the one before it (with the loose.dtd URL) your menu seems to go haywire in IE ... works fine in FF just IE is displaying it all wrong whenever a menu has children and needs to pop out......

The reason I didn't notice this before was because the osCommerce package we were using had the doctype set as: <!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> then when we needed to change the doctype to suite this new addon we noticed the problem in IE (using IE7) ... have you run into this problem before??

Cheers!!

Edited by sLaV-

Hey rob i'm so sorry to be a pain but I have one last question if you dont mind...

Your menus are working perfectly ... but this is the issue im having...

I'm using an addon which requires my doctype to be set to the following:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

I am currently using this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

When I use the one I'm currently using it works perfectly...when I change it to the one before it (with the loose.dtd URL) your menu seems to go haywire in IE ... works fine in FF just IE is displaying it all wrong whenever a menu has children and needs to pop out......

The reason I didn't notice this before was because the osCommerce package we were using had the doctype set as: <!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> then when we needed to change the doctype to suite this new addon we noticed the problem in IE (using IE7) ... have you run into this problem before??

Cheers!!

The menu was designed to be used with ..

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

As it is Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

But can be used with ..

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

The menu was designed to be used with ..

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

As it is Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

But can be used with ..

<!doctype html public "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

Having said that I just tried it with

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

and it worked perfectly.

The thing about stricter doctypes is that you need to have well formed code.

Edited by FWR Media

Oh ok sweet as long as I know its working ok for Transitional i'll get onto trying to fix up our code....thanks again for all your help :D :D

LoL i just spent an hour cleaning up my code making it W3 valid and still same issue in IE ... oh well....thanks again :)

hey there. I was refered to this contribution - actually HIGHLY suggested because i was looking for help with a dynamic menu. I was wondering though, is there a way to use images instead of text for the categories???

If not, does anyone have a link to this menu in use for me to see? I wanna see what it looks like and see how much customization i can get out of it.

My MAIN goal is to be able to either make nice big (not too big) buttons that people click and the same sized ones fly out when they hover. I would be happy doing this with an image, or some kind of gradient background with text over it.. but i prefer images.

I LOVE to see some site examples !!

A great place for newbies to start

Road Map to oscommerce File Structure

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

Proud Memeber of the CODE BREAKERS CLUB!!

hey there. I was refered to this contribution - actually HIGHLY suggested because i was looking for help with a dynamic menu. I was wondering though, is there a way to use images instead of text for the categories???

It's just <ul><li> plus CSS

Re: sites to see maybe a user will post one.

so there is no way to use an image as a background for this then, just solid colors like you would do in CSS. coopco, i checked out your site, its very nice, but i dont think i can customize it that way i wanted.. i really would like big rectangular buttons with some kind of gandient background and text over it..

DO NOT PM ME FOR HELP. My time is valuable, unless i ask you to PM me, please dont. You will get better help if you post publicly. I am not as good at this as you think anyways!

HOWEVER, you can visit my blog (go to my profile to see it) and post a question there, i will find time to get back and answer you

so there is no way to use an image as a background for this then, just solid colors like you would do in CSS. coopco, i checked out your site, its very nice, but i dont think i can customize it that way i wanted.. i really would like big rectangular buttons with some kind of gandient background and text over it..

Of course there is. As I was saying it is just <ul><li></li></ul> plus css .. standard html stuff.

i'm sorry.. I didnt really get what you are saying. I am new to this stuff, but i am SURE if i download the contribution and take a look at it i might be able to figure it out.. otherwise i have you wonderful people to help me.. right??? right???? :)

I love this forum

i'm sorry.. I didnt really get what you are saying. I am new to this stuff, but i am SURE if i download the contribution and take a look at it i might be able to figure it out.. otherwise i have you wonderful people to help me.. right??? right???? :)

I love this forum

I personally am not going to help with css/styling issues as I consider it outside of the realms of support for this contribution .. however that doesn't mean that nobody else will help you.

i didn't mean you specifically. I just like the fact that there is a great forum here to help if there really is an issue... I know it's outside the relms of "support" and i am HOPING that i could figure it out on my own, otherwise i will have to find a different contribution (if any) that has the instructions to insert images into a fly out already in it. Its just good to know that i can TRY it. I will get to work as soon as i get home.. YAY!