• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

? Symbol not £

adamjblakey

Hi,

On my site all the £ symbols have turned into ? symbols. I contacted my hosting company and they said:

Its probably down to the website encoding, currently it is set to charset=iso-8859-1, i would try changing it to UTF8 and see if that solves the problem.

But i don't know where to change this, please can someone advise where to change this?

Cheers,

Adam

Look in your includes/languages/english.php file, as well as any other language you use, and find this:

// charset for web pages and emails
define('CHARSET', 'iso-8859-1');

Obviously altering that to UTF8 would change the Charset. To be honest, I don't if that change on its own is enough, you may need to change the database coding also, but you can start by trying that and see what the result is.

Look in your includes/languages/english.php file, as well as any other language you use, and find this:

// charset for web pages and emails
define('CHARSET', 'iso-8859-1');

Obviously altering that to UTF8 would change the Charset. To be honest, I don't if that change on its own is enough, you may need to change the database coding also, but you can start by trying that and see what the result is.

use £

Hi,

On my site all the £ symbols have turned into ? symbols. I contacted my hosting company and they said:

Its probably down to the website encoding, currently it is set to charset=iso-8859-1, i would try changing it to UTF8 and see if that solves the problem.

But i don't know where to change this, please can someone advise where to change this?

Cheers,

Adam

Hi mate......Im new to this and maybe teaching you to suck eggs !!! But have you changed the the standard symbol in localization?

I had this myself, the other currencies had the right symbol.

GO into admin

Click "localization"

Then on "pounds sterling" Look in the right hand colum and see if "symbol left is a ? or £

Then "edit" it to how it should be!!

IF THIS BEEN ANY HELP........LETS US KNOW

GOODLUCK

Hi mate......Im new to this and maybe teaching you to suck eggs !!! But have you changed the the standard symbol in localization?

I had this myself, the other currencies had the right symbol.

GO into admin

Click "localization"

Then on "pounds sterling" Look in the right hand colum and see if "symbol left is a ? or £

Then "edit" it to how it should be!!

IF THIS BEEN ANY HELP........LETS US KNOW

GOODLUCK

Cheers mate... Works fine now :)

That will work for new websites without order data, but when you get that problem after importing an existing database you need to reimport it but selecting Latin 1 as the Character Set before the import.

This will allow the import of £ and not have it corrupted to ? - which will keep all existing records with the £ sign in them.

Using £ will result in emails of orders going out with £ and not the £ sign.

Vger

Using £ will result in emails of orders going out with £ and not the £ sign.

Vger

Hi Vger

I tested it after you posted this. I found that the £ sign appeared in both the pending order email (text) and the order emails (html). Now I do not know if this is the norm, but I don't recall doing anything special to provide a specific "fix" on my new RC2a test site where I am trying 50 plus addons.

Archived