• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Products expected

JoshR35

Hello all !!

I have a question about adding products. I use the Easy Populate program for mass uploading. What I'm wondering is, all of my products are listed as available but they are all listed in the "Products Expected" section too. Is this normal?

I do not want any products to be expected, they all need to be available.

Its not a duplicate product problem because I have the correct amount of products.

I am worried that this may slow down the store because its listing the products in two different places.

Thank you !!

Josh R.

Did you read the documentation for EP

I meant what I said, Please, Pretty please, do read the entire configuration stuff.

Really. You'll be glad you did. You'll find all kinds of neat configurable stuff

there. The instructions for using the various image mods and other supported

contribution variables are in there.

Because it tells you what it does in there.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Did you read the documentation for EP

I meant what I said, Please, Pretty please, do read the entire configuration stuff.

Really. You'll be glad you did. You'll find all kinds of neat configurable stuff

there. The instructions for using the various image mods and other supported

contribution variables are in there.

Because it tells you what it does in there.

So your saying that its an EP Configuration issue and not a store configuration issue?

No, it is a you issue.

EP does what you tell it.

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

No, it is a you issue.

EP does what you tell it.

Well, I'm sorry for not understanding everything in the "Not-So-Easy Populate" program.

note: To anyone else that has this problem, its NOT something with your store configuration, its in the EP configuration.

See, that was easy.

Josh

When you post what EP documentation says about v_date_avail in EasyPopulate_Manual.txt, just to prove you have read it, I'll explain exactly what is happening and 2 ways to get round it.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Josh

When you post what EP documentation says about v_date_avail in EasyPopulate_Manual.txt, just to prove you have read it, I'll explain exactly what is happening and 2 ways to get round it.

I dont think that has anything to do with it. I tried adding a single product via the admin page with a current date and without a current date and its still adding the product to the available list and the products expected list. Yet there's no duplicate products.

I guess that pretty much eliminated the EP assumption.

OK, if you say so.

If anyone else has this problem and finds this thread feel free to PM me.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

OK, if you say so.

If anyone else has this problem and finds this thread feel free to PM me.

Ok, here is your info from the manual

'v_date_avail' When the product will become available. Defaults to today if left blank.

Ok, the field IS blank and its STILL adding the product in both areas. If I add a date available it does the same thing.

I'm sorry, but I have read through the manual several times and cant seem to figure it out.

OK if you leave v_date_avail as blank or put in today's date in then the date available that is put on the product is todays date.

The test in upcoming_products.php in \includes\modules is

$expected_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_name, products_date_available as date_expected from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where to_days(products_date_available) >= to_days(now()) and p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' order by " . EXPECTED_PRODUCTS_FIELD . " " . EXPECTED_PRODUCTS_SORT . " limit " . MAX_DISPLAY_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS);

Load of gobbldy-gook isn't it but the important part is

where to_days(products_date_available) >= to_days(now())

So any product with an available date greater than or equal to today will appear in that section. So all products with today's will appear.

2 solutions:

Set the available date in the EP file to be 5 days in the past for all products, or those that are not new, and reapply the file.

or

Change the test in upcoming_products.php to be > rather than >= so only products with an avail date in the future will appear.

Line 14 of this file is

if (tep_db_num_rows($expected_query) > 0) {

So this part of the page will only appear if there are products with dates in the future.

you can also change the appearance of alternate rows using the css. The 2 classes are

<tr class="upcomingProducts-even">

<tr class="upcomingProducts-odd">

Hope that helps.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Thanks for the reply. I tried both options and I'm still getting products added to the category and the products expected section.

My inventory count is correct though, so, its not duplicating them.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here. Other then this, the EP program works great !! I added 52,000 in about 10 minutes.

The big question is, will it hurt to just leave the products expected list alone? I mean, I dont hardley have the time to add a date to 52,000 products one at a time..lol

My main concern is, will having a duplicate list of products cause any performance problems?

The exact same products in the "products expected" section are in the categories and available to purchase.

I think I may have found part of the problem. The date in the excel file is "day-month-year" isnt Ep and OSC supposed to be "Year-month-day" ?

Since excel wont let me change the date format, I think thats why its not entering a product available date at all. I tried the tip on changing the excel date format but it keeps going back the the default format. Ugggg.....

Ok, this is what I get when I upload the file.

"Easy Populate 2.76g-MS2 - Default Language : english(1)

File uploaded.

Temporary filename: /var/tmp/phptQkGDF

User filename: EP2008May07-1503.txt

Size: 642

| 7788665 | door windo | kjtgkhgjk | | | 7.99 | 7 | 6 | | 5/2/2008 1 | | Cars | | car doors | | | | | | | | | | | | --none-- | Active !New Product!"

Its saying that the date available is there, but its not adding to the product correctally. When I edit the product in the category, the date is "2008-05-05" Any idea why its different from what the EP update is displaying?

This is just a sample product. Thats why the info looks funny...lol

"So any product with an available date greater than or equal to today will appear in that section."

Only in that section?

My products are listing in that section as well as in the categories and is an available product in the categories.

For some reason, I cant get EP to input the "Available Date" during the populate. The info page displays the date thats on the csv file after the upload, but when I check the product in the category (via admin) the date is all zeroes and the product listed in the "products expected" has no date at all.

Try downloading a file and see wht format the date is in on that file and use that.

To get the produts I want iuse this format.

v_products_model,v_date_added,EOREOR

19LS4D,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

22LS4D,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL20B4050U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL20S3020U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL20S3030U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL20S3000U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL23B4050U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL26U3000U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL26T3000U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

KDL40U3000U,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

19W330DB,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

L42VP01,18-Apr-2008,EOREOR

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Ok, this is kinda strange. if I add the current date the the file "Date Available", then upload. The products in the categories have the same date and the "Products Expected" have the same date. Now, If I add a date 3 days prior in the "Date Available" and leave the current date in the "Date Added" then upload, the products in the categories have "0000-00-00" for a date available and the products in the products expected have no date at all either.

Ok, maybe this will help. I uploaded 3 products. Main category, sub category, then the products.

At that point, the products had a date available. Now, I went to the "products Expected" admin section and changed the products expected date from "0000-00-00" to the current date. They then dissappeared from that section as expected.

Now, I went back to check the date on the same three items in the category and they switched to a blank date available. Not even a "0000-00-00"

I've tried uploading the items both with and without a date available and its still adding them in both places.

I dont understand how the product can be available and expected at the same time..lol

Doesn't it get confusing when you have to use date expected and date available?

I would think the product maintenance screen is set to display a blank avail date if it is today or in the past.

Products will always appear in the Product Maintenance >> Categories/Products screen and is irrespective of the avail date because that is where you maintain products.

They will only appear on the admin Products Expected screen if the avail date is >= todays data.

Adding them without a date avail will set the date avail to today's date therefore they appear in the expected, see post 10 above.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Ok, I understand what your saying. But, where Im getting confused is why EP and two other programs have problems with this.

If I manually add an item with no date available or todays date, it doesnt list in the products expected section. If I use EP or any other program to add the product, its listing as available and also as a product expected no matter if I add a date or leave it blank.

Whats wierd is, If I manually add a product and give it a future date, then on the main store page it says the date the item will be available.

Now, adding the products with EP, date or no date, the product lists as expected and when I go to the store front and click on it, it doesnt say that its expected.

Also, in the admin, the products expected items have no expected date there.

If I add the expected date 5 days earleir then todays date in the EP csv, then, the products expected date in admin is 2039-m-d

I just cant figure it out.

Ok, I have givin up...lol

I added all 32,600 products. There all listed as a product expected in the admin section, but, there not listed as expected on the store front and they can be purchased.

Why there's a mirror image of all of them and no duplicate products in the admin is beyond me....lol

As long as they can be purchased right now is all I care about.

I would guess the different programs have different criteria of what they display. Probably written by different people.

I think the 2039 problem is because of the format of the date you have in your upload file. It might look perfect in MS excel but if you look at it in a text editor it appears differently.

I down loaded an EP file and looked to see the format. For me it was 18-Apr-2008.

Then I had to get MS access to export a file with the date in this format. For all products I set the date available to now() - 5.

Then I used the file above to set the date available to show my 12 Hot Products. I bet the featured product contribution would do the same but the site only has to work for a few months.

Bit of a pig, but in the end it worked.

Anyway good luck.

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

Exactally right. I noticed that Excel was changing the date format because it didn't have that particular format available in its programing.

So, I'm using a different csv file viewer. When I downloaded the csv via EP the date was "2008-05-10" and excel was changing it to "05-10-2008"

The different csv viewer allows me to keep the OSC date format, but it didnt change anything in regards to the products expected.

Question, Do the products that are expected automatically change to available on the givin date then remove themselves from the products expected category in admin?

THis is interesting because I when I looked at an item in the admin catelog, it had no date available. But, when I went into the admin products expected category and viewed the same product, it had no expected date. So, I added the current date to it and it removed its self from the expected admin category. Then, I went back and viewed the same product again in the admin category and it now has the date available listed. Wierd.

Archived