• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

mutiple domains

wbhendrix

what is the advantage of having mulitple domains linking to one site?

if our main store was appleshoes.com and we owned bigshoes.com and floppyshoes.com, would it be best to link those secondary domains the root folder, forward them, or what?

i guess the main question is what can/should i do with the secondary URLs?

music. love. harmony.

If they are all linking to one site, then all but the main one should be "Parked" and pointed at the main one. There is no advantage to it though. It is useful if you want to purhase similar domain names, like www.freerats.com, www.free-rats.com, www.freerats.net and so on. Some shop owners do that to prevent others from getting a similar domain name and benefiting from it. But if you don't point them correctly, it can cause you problems with the serach engines.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

i host w/ godaddy... should i forward them or just have them set to go the root of the site?

i looked for something that "pointed" the domain, but didnt see anything..

thanks for yr help too btw

music. love. harmony.

When the domains are registered, you change the nameservers to point to your godaddy account. Then in the godaddy control panel, you park them so they go to your main domain. Asking godaddy how to do that would probably be the best approach.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The biggest thing you need to be careful of is search engines thinking the sites are duplicate content. This can really hurt your SEO efforts.

Archived