• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Administering my OSCommerce with Windwo Eyes

evenkeel

Hello... I'm new to the community. My name is Dj Bowen and I live and work in central Florida.

Normally I enjoy being first. Not now though. I hope I am NOT the first blind web publisher to try and learn OSCommerce and use it on my websites.

I use Window Eyes Pro 6.1 from GW Micro to gain access to my pc, which runs under WinXP Home Edition SP2. I use FrontPage 2003 to publish my content. I use FTP Voyager for my ftp client software.

Now that you know a little about me and the environment I work in, here's the first problem I am facing. I admit the RCA on this and most issues to follow is a lack of knowledge and experience. I think of it as OJT.

After downloading, extracting and importing the OSCommerce files in to my webs directory structure in FP, I published to my server (http://www.evenkeelgroup.com).

When I ran the /catalog/admin/install.php, I ran into some issues with my sql database parameters and turned to the support staff at dotesy.com for the IP address of my database.

Instead of just giving me the IP address so I could continue my step by step following of the OSCommerce manual .pdf , the very helpful support tech at doteasy (they recommend OSCommerce by the way), finished the installation for me. It was a nice thing, but left me in a very muddy creek, where I discovered that beneath the mud, there was more mud...

You can guess where this is going next...

Now that the OSCommerce program setup has been completed, the two locations (my server and my local pc) are way out of synch.

I look forward to help from anyone who has the time to step up and help get this old blind guy back on track!

Dj Bowen

The Even Keel Group

ps... following the edit box for this text there are 15 undefined check boxed under Options. What are they check boxes for?

first, do not try t publish with front page. just use a php text editor to modify your files then an ftp client (or even the windows ftp client) to put your files onto your site. get this working properly first, then see what errors you have.

Archived