• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OS Commerce for Dummies?

I've built websites before, but using Frontpage and Expression Web, wysywig editors that are beautifully simple. I am in partnership with an artist who I built a sales website for using Expression web and paypal buttons, that works well, and very simply!

She now wants to sell her cartoons/designs etc as they are constantly being 'used' on the web for free, so we wanted to provide an opportunity for people to pay for them! This would have to be by using a store, with digital download facility, as the 'instant' availability is key here. However, I think I must be extremely thick, as I am struggling with OS Commerce. Is there a guide for first time dummies anywhere?

I have read lots of the information on this site, but at present, it's not going in terribly well. For instance, I've tried changing the banner, I've deleted the OS Commerce banner in the Banner manager, but mine doesn't appear. When I click on it, it appears HUGE, but is not in the file I uploaded. I don't seem to be able to change the header either! Does every first timer go through this? Site is not available to view yet or I would let you see my pathetic efforts.

Your answer to the first timer??

YES everyone thinks that!

IT is fairly easy to pick up the basics, though a little knowledge of php etc can help you a lot.

The banner you need to do thru your admin under tools / banner manager.

Do one thing at a time and ask for help on that one subject rather than it all at once.

The documentation that is bundled with OSC is very helpful.

Sometimes you're the dog and sometimes the lamp post

[/url]

My Contributions

Thanks for this, it makes me feel a little better.

I have no knowledge of PHP at all, this is the first time I have come across it, I'll muddle through I'm sure! Site is available, it's www.equiclipart.com/catalog, as you can see, I think I've managed two text changes so far in two days of trying to work it out!

Thanks for this, it makes me feel a little better.

I have no knowledge of PHP at all, this is the first time I have come across it, I'll muddle through I'm sure! Site is available, it's www.equiclipart.com/catalog, as you can see, I think I've managed two text changes so far in two days of trying to work it out!

Hi, I'm new to all this as well. The best advice I can give you is to not use the forum search function when you want to know how to do something. Use Google instead. For example, if you want to change your logo, search for " site:www.oscommerce.com/forums change logo" in Google, and you'll soon find the answer.

Good luck with your site.

A good starter for 10 is the knowledgebase

http://www.oscommerce.info/

Enjoy

Need help installing add ons/contributions, cleaning a hacked site or a bespoke development, check my profile

Virus Threat Scanner

My Contributions

Basic install answers.

Click here for Contributions / Add Ons.

UK your site.

Site Move.

Basic design info.

For links mentioned in old answers that are no longer here follow this link Useful Threads.

If this post was useful, click the Like This button over there ======>>>>>.

Archived