• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Auctions V2.1 Support Thread

Well if you want to send me a personal email (not PM) there is a version available for "beta testing only".

admin at <my name> dot co dot uk

Hello would love to try out your version, dosent seem like this addon could work that easily.

Let me know :)

my email pooya@parsi . com

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

After implementing this in a non-critical online store, I realized it does have some major flaws.

Unfortunately, all the little hacks and tweaks I've made to the code to get it to suit my purposes are almost impossible to document.

I would advise anybody who isn't comfortable troubleshooting PHP code to stay away from this. I've taught myself PHP over the past 6 months, and it has helped me immensely with OSCommerce and customization.

A few mods I made to the auction module:

- PROBLEM: For a lot of my auctions, nobody would bid on anything, so I would have to go in every few weeks, and reset the auction.

- SOLUTION : I hacked it so that items on auction would stay on auction indefinitely UNTIL the 1st bid was placed. That would essentially ACTIVATE the auction, for a 10-day countdown. (if you are interested in seeing it - http://computershopauction.com/secure/index.php)

- PROBLEM: I didn't like the way bidding increments worked. I wanted the first bidder to have an advantage.

- SOLUTION: Hacked so that the first bidder only has to bid one penny to activate the auction. Each additional bidder has to follow bidding increments.

- PROBLEM: Visitors would see the "Bid" open box, without having to create an account or log in.

- SOLUTION: Hacked it so that if they are not logged in, all they see is "This product is on auction. To bid, you must first log into your account or create a new account. (Click Here)"

- PROBLEM: Prices people see throughout the site didn't accurately reflect the starting price or current bid on the product

- SOLUTION: Hacked a lot of the product listing coding to show starting bid or current high bid.

There were a lot of other coding tweaks and edits, and I would love to actually create a fresh module with everything I have learned over the past 6 months, but I just don't have the time.

Feel free to email me any questions about my implementation. Please don't ask me to completely solve any problems (I can't teach you PHP).

Edited by guytoronto

• 2 months later...
Well if you want to send me a personal email (not PM) there is a version available for "beta testing only".

admin at <my name> dot co dot uk

Yeah c'mon guys, share the spoils please :-)

• 2 weeks later...
Since I can't edit my own text....here's an update...

I was wrong on the shop-location...we're running auction on EST...

So my setup is

AUCTIONS TIME: UTC-4 (set up in the /includes/modules/setup.php)

SERVER TIME: UTC-5 (system clock)

ME: UTC+2...

I think it's okay that you have to enter the end-time for the auction taking the UTC-4 into account in your mind.

However...the countdown script is using the AUCTIONS-time, but the logic that allows bidding seems to be looking at the system-time...(same with the admin-page for auctions). Is there something that could be done with this? I think they should all refer to the AUCTIONS-time.

Also...curiousity is that I set up a product with start price at 1,000$...but the minimum bid (before any bids were made) was set at 51$...it also accepted it without having to tick the 'rules' -box. After the initial bid was done...the enforcement of minimum increments and rules-tickbox checks worked fine.

For my purposes I can go around it by creating a 'reserve-price' on the product and doing the first bid myself always....but it's not ideal.

Anyone help me with these??

cheers,

Kimmo

Hi did you find solution cause I am still battling with this problem

• 7 years later...

Hi,

i got some problems with old code

//DANS AUCTION SCRIPT -REFRESH
$cquery="select products_id from ".TABLE_AUCTIONS_PRODUCTS." where products_id =".(int)$_GET['products_id'];
$cresult=mysqli_query($cquery, $q);

$cnum=mysqli_num_rows($cresult);

$z=0;
while ($z < $cnum) {

$casprodid=mysqli_result($cresult,$z,"products_id");

//echo $casprodid;
$z++;
}

if ($casprodid==(int)$_GET['products_id']) {
header('Refresh: 90');} else {
echo '';}
//end DANS AUCTION SCRIPT

this gives the error after update the database.php file tot oscommerce 2.3.4:

Warning: mysqli_query() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, string given in /com_oscommerce/product_info.php on line 112

Warning: mysqli_num_rows() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, null given in /product_info.php on line 114

What happens if you change the code to:

//DANS AUCTION SCRIPT -REFRESH
$cquery="select products_id from ".TABLE_AUCTIONS_PRODUCTS." where products_id =".(int)$_GET['products_id'];
$cresult=tep_db_query($cquery, $q);

$cnum=tep_db_num_rows($cresult);

$z=0;
while ($z < $cnum) {

$casprodid=mysqli_result($cresult,$z,"products_id");

//echo $casprodid;
$z++;
}

if ($casprodid==(int)$_GET['products_id']) {
header('Refresh: 90');} else {
echo '';}
//end DANS AUCTION SCRIPT