• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

800 or 1024 website design?

balloons

I have been designing my website in the 800 screen size, but as I have been looking around the web I have seen that quite alot of sites are now using 1024 size for there site.

I have thought about using a liquid design but I will still have to make sure that the design fits a 800 width if it is viewed at that size!

So, I would like to know what everybody on here reckons is the best design size?

I have been designing my website in the 800 screen size, but as I have been looking around the web I have seen that quite alot of sites are now using 1024 size for there site.

I have thought about using a liquid design but I will still have to make sure that the design fits a 800 width if it is viewed at that size!

So, I would like to know what everybody on here reckons is the best design size?

It will fit, some settings may require the client to scroll the screen from side to side (based on their monitors resolutions).

If you believe the w3schools.com site that says 54% of the net is using 1024, 26% higher and 14% 800 then I would go for the 1024 setting.

The best thing to do is check your own logs. If you have awstats they can be helpful. Looking at mine

Operating System

windows xp 74%

wndows vista 15%

mac osx 8%

windows 2000 1.5%

all other operating systems under 1%

Browsers

msie 7 60%

msie 6 20%

firefox 2.0.0.13 10%

safari 6%

all oter browsers under 1%

So I believe my needs are best for 1024 settings. You need to check your logs for your needs.

Hope that helps

Don't forget, you have screen size and browser size. The larger the screens not everyone has the browser maxumized

Archived