• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

stupd newbie question

rubberbandman

my web designer left me in lurch and am trying to do this my self now, I am somewhat familiar with html and html editors but I dont know how to edit the oscommerce files and php can someone suggest an easy editor I can use.....thanks so much

my web designer left me in lurch and am trying to do this my self now, I am somewhat familiar with html and html editors but I dont know how to edit the oscommerce files and php can someone suggest an easy editor I can use.....thanks so much

I have found that HTML editors are fine for the purpose of editing PHP files, but only if they allow you to view/edit source.

I use an old web based editor which I bought called Genesis (written in CGI) by xav.com which used to allow you to try it for free, but it got bought up by another company and the software is now called MyGenesis.

Wordpad and Notepad which are included in Windows also are useful.

I have tried PHPCoder but didn't like how it forced me to view my files in IE. It highlights variables and tags to make it easier to see the structure of the code.

If you are comfortable coding html without a WYSIWYG editor then any editor will do.

~~~Tapuahk

A tiny lesson about PHP and HTML

There are two ways of parsing HTML in a PHP file and they both look very different.

1) standard html and "adding" php ..

<div>
Hello world I am HTML <?php echo 'However there is some PHP in here!'; ?> Who let the guy on the left in??<br />
</div>

2) Parsing HTML through PHP ..

<?php
$html_string = 'However there is some PHP in here!';
echo
'<div>
Hello world I am HTML ' . $html_string . ' Who let the guy on the left in??<br />
</div>';
?>

When you add PHP to a page that is written in HTML you encase the PHP in <?php ?> you also add "echo" to print to screen.

When you parse HTML through PHP the whole thing is encased in PHP tags <?php ?> and begins with "echo"

To just print some HTML you would write ..

<?php
echo 'Hello world';
?>

Note how the HTML is encased in '';

To seperate HTML from PHP you use ' and .

Now to add some PHP .. the variable is . .

$wonderful = ' wonderful ';

<?php
echo 'Hello' . $wonderful . 'world';
?>

hope that helps a bit.

Archived