• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Jack,

Thank you for the hard work on this module...

I have 3.18 installed, all was working correctly until recently...

Problem:

Header Tags Categories Description placed in the Edit Category box will no longer update. It obviously did at one time, as I have several products with the entry placed, but when when I went to update an entry this morning it will not 'take' the update. Did I find a bug or is it just me?

If just me, where in the code do I look? If you could point me in the right direction and I think I can figure it out. header_tags.php is permissioned correctly; your test feature has no errors.

I suspect Spooks Anti-Hacker may be the culprit... If your familiar, do you think that module is preventing the field from updating?

Thanks much.

Dave

-Dave

Jack,

Thank you for the hard work on this module...

I have 3.18 installed, all was working correctly until recently...

Problem:

Header Tags Categories Description placed in the Edit Category box will no longer update. It obviously did at one time, as I have several products with the entry placed, but when when I went to update an entry this morning it will not 'take' the update. Did I find a bug or is it just me?

If just me, where in the code do I look? If you could point me in the right direction and I think I can figure it out. header_tags.php is permissioned correctly; your test feature has no errors.

I suspect Spooks Anti-Hacker may be the culprit... If your familiar, do you think that module is preventing the field from updating?

If it was working before and isn't now then something in your shop has changed. I'm not familiar with the Anti-Hacker code but I seem to recall someone mentioning it caused such a problem. But, in general, if you can't make changes in admin->Catalog, the problem is with the categories.php file (as far as Header Tags is concerned) so you can use the included file to isolate that problem. But if it is that contribution, I would guess the application_top file has been changed, in which case replacing the categories file won't fix it. If it turns out to be that contribution, you will need to ask in its support thread for help.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The code could be changed in includes/functions/header_tags.php but I'm not sure it is worth the effort. The canonical code will change list the url using index.php and the search engines will note the redirect for that. It's a little extra work for them but they should figure it out. I could be mistaken about that but the only way to know is to see if the index.php link shows up in the listings. If the code was changed, it would have to be specific to shops that use that code. Granted, all shops should use it, but many don't and changing the code in the contribution would break those shops. So, at this point, if you want that change, the code change will have to be made in just your shop.

Jack

Hi Jack

I would also like to request this code change for HT SEO. When you hover over your logo you get index.php and that also appears in the source code of the page. Index.php does not appear in search results itself, probably because of htacces 301 redirect, but where it does appear to be a problem is in your internal linking as reported by Webmaster tools. In my site there is an even split of links over mysite.com/ and index.php

HI Jack, i have installed and all seem to be working, thanks to the nice and simple instructions.

I have 1 slight problem. only in internet explorer the column right has moved to the bottom of the page, any ideas why this has happened. i have checked other browsers and all seems to be fine its only when you go into a product

Got any ideas ?

www.best-beds.co.uk

I would also like to request this code change for HT SEO. When you hover over your logo you get index.php and that also appears in the source code of the page.

This has been fixed in the next version.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I have 1 slight problem. only in internet explorer the column right has moved to the bottom of the page, any ideas why this has happened. i have checked other browsers and all seems to be fine its only when you go into a product

See the test page.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with these changes:

-> Added version checking code to the Page Control page so it can be known when a new version is available. There is an option to leave this on all of the time or to checkit manually. You'll need to upload two files from the version tracking contribution for this to work: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7148

-> Added missing declaration in includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php.

-> Added missing sort order fields to database.

-> Added additional STS code to handle product_info template, if used.

-> Added a readme file with basic startup instructions that will, hopefully, address many common questions.

-> Changed code for categories.php that caused HTML editors to fail in IE.

-> Changed canonical code so index.php is removed from the home page url.

-> Changed code for social bookmarking code (thanks to theintoy for the suggestions and code).

-> Fixed coding mistake in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php regarding manufacturers.

-> Fixed login mistake in admin/headertags_seo.test.php that was not checking for BTS templates correctly.

-> Fixed messagestack error in admin/header_tags_seo.php.

-> Fixed problem with View Results not always working.

-> Rewrote code that uses ereg deprecated calls.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A new version has been uploaded with these changes:

-> Added version checking code to the Page Control page so it can be known when a new version is available. There is an option to leave this on all of the time or to checkit manually. You'll need to upload two files from the version tracking contribution for this to work: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7148

-> Added missing declaration in includes/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php.

-> Added missing sort order fields to database.

-> Added additional STS code to handle product_info template, if used.

-> Added a readme file with basic startup instructions that will, hopefully, address many common questions.

-> Changed code for categories.php that caused HTML editors to fail in IE.

-> Changed canonical code so index.php is removed from the home page url.

-> Changed code for social bookmarking code (thanks to theintoy for the suggestions and code).

-> Fixed coding mistake in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php regarding manufacturers.

-> Fixed login mistake in admin/headertags_seo.test.php that was not checking for BTS templates correctly.

-> Fixed messagestack error in admin/header_tags_seo.php.

-> Fixed problem with View Results not always working.

-> Rewrote code that uses ereg deprecated calls.

Hi Jack,

I have the latest 4.6 STS and I can not find anywhere in includes/modules/sts_inc/general.pho

if (!isset($sts->template['headertags'])) $sts->template['headertags']= "<title>" . TITLE ."</title>";

so couldn;t possible replace it.

actaully ignore the above:-

What i do have thats similar is:-

$sts->template['headertags']= "<title>" . TITLE ."</title>";

and from your normal install instructions i can see thats what I need to replace, must have missed it previously.

Thanks again

Getting better with mods but no programmer am I.

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the update to this great contribution.

I'm trying to upgrade from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 and all goes well until I get to step 3 of the Update instructions for updating Header Tags SEO version 3.1.8 to Header Tags SEO V 3.1.9

None of the lines I am trying to find and replace with the new lines exist in my current admin/categories.php file

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

I'm trying to upgrade from 3.1.8 to 3.1.9 and all goes well until I get to step 3 of the Update instructions for updating Header Tags SEO version 3.1.8 to Header Tags SEO V 3.1.9

None of the lines I am trying to find and replace with the new lines exist in my current admin/categories.php file

Then you made a mistake in your original installation since that code has been part of Header Tags for years. Use the included categories file to coampare against yours for the needed changes, or read the install_admin file for that section.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

when i run the test i get duplicate title and description errors for English. I dont have any other languages running so no entries have been made at all.

I am guessing that this error will display if my database has duplicate content or even empty/default content?

The reason I say that is that I havent populated the site with many tags yet many are empty, those that I have populated are different.

Thanks

Instead of guessing, go to a topics page and see what the url is (same for any page you want to add a pseudo entry for). Fot topics, it is articles.php?tPath=X, where X is the actual topic ID number. You have to have articles.php showing in page control or it won't work. Since you didn't mention the failure, I assume that is what it is.

Instead of guessing, go to a topics page and see what the url is (same for any page you want to add a pseudo entry for). Fot topics, it is articles.php?tPath=X, where X is the actual topic ID number. You have to have articles.php showing in page control or it won't work. Since you didn't mention the failure, I assume that is what it is.

Dear Jack:

I followed your instructions and created a pseudo page for a topic. The ID for this topic is 7 and I do have articles.php showing in the page control. I hit the add missing pages first then created this pseudo page for topic 7 - articles.php?tPath=7 - after it was created - I changed the page title BUT it is not showing on the site. Can you help!!!! Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Then you made a mistake in your original installation since that code has been part of Header Tags for years. Use the included categories file to coampare against yours for the needed changes, or read the install_admin file for that section.

Hi Jack,

Yea looks like I have missed it out. The problem is that the categories.php file is now heavily modified by other contributions - so alas I think it is beyond me to merge them now :-(

Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for all your work on this contribution. I am running STS & last week I upgraded to Header tags SEO 8.1.6 & STS 4.6. The only problem I've got now is the tags in my categories are just showing the default site tags, not the tags I've set in admin > Catalog. I'm sure I had them working originally but they also showed in the product tags for every product in that category - now I've got the product tags showing correctly but the category tags now don't display their individual tags - just the site ones.

Is it a setting in the admin I need to change? In Admin > Header Tags SEO > Page Control - for product_info.php - in Include on the left I have Category ticked with a 2 & and Product ticked with a 1.

For Categoeries.php I just have category ticked with a 1.

I think originally in the Default Tags section on the right I had both the category & products ticked but now I have none - to try & stop the default tags appearing in the category pages - but I still get the default tags in category pages.

any ideas?

Thanks again for your help

Jason

when i run the test i get duplicate title and description errors for English. I dont have any other languages running so no entries have been made at all.

That is not necessarily an error. It is just letting you know it might be. You need to look at those items to see if they are identicle and what the rest of each page looks like. If they are too much alike, the search engines may see it as duplicate content.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I followed your instructions and created a pseudo page for a topic. The ID for this topic is 7 and I do have articles.php showing in the page control. I hit the add missing pages first then created this pseudo page for topic 7 - articles.php?tPath=7 - after it was created - I changed the page title BUT it is not showing on the site. Can you help!!!! Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

If you can go into page control and see that new page listed and you have entered text for it, then the problem is on the shop side. Assuming you are using my version of Article Manager, the problem is most likely with the includes/header_tags.php file. Open that file and make sure there is an entry for articles. It will be a longer entry (10 lines or so) as compared to the other ones. If it isn't there, then the permissions setting for that file are most likely wrong. If it is, then it has to be something with the aricle manager installation.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Yea looks like I have missed it out. The problem is that the categories.php file is now heavily modified by other contributions - so alas I think it is beyond me to merge them now :-(

The category code that is missing is rarely changed by other contributions and it is only a few lines (unless something else was missed) so it shouldn't be a problem making the change. Make a backup first, of course.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for all your work on this contribution. I am running STS & last week I upgraded to Header tags SEO 8.1.6 & STS 4.6. The only problem I've got now is the tags in my categories are just showing the default site tags, not the tags I've set in admin > Catalog. I'm sure I had them working originally but they also showed in the product tags for every product in that category - now I've got the product tags showing correctly but the category tags now don't display their individual tags - just the site ones.

When Header Tags doesn't work in an STS shop, it is almost always a mistake in the installation. The only way to know is to temporairly turn off STS and see if Header Tags displays correctly. You should also run the test function, as mentioned in the install files.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The category code that is missing is rarely changed by other contributions and it is only a few lines (unless something else was missed) so it shouldn't be a problem making the change. Make a backup first, of course.

Hi Jack,

The main conflict is from Sam's contribution - Simple Multi Image Add On, but also conflicts with Option types V2 and Categories image box.

I could post or email the file if you want to see. Im using Beyond Compare, but there are changes that I just cannot work out.

Many Thanks

Hi Jack,

The main conflict is from Sam's contribution - Simple Multi Image Add On, but also conflicts with Option types V2 and Categories image box.

I could post or email the file if you want to see. Im using Beyond Compare, but there are changes that I just cannot work out.

Many Thanks

just sent you the file, if you want to check it may need tweaking but should be relatively ok as is.

Jack,

Terrific contribution. Thank you for taking the time to produce, share, and update it.

I have some observations and questions/comments. I just upgraded from Header Tags 3.1.8 to 3.1.9.

1) TEXT_MISSING_VERSION_CHECKER is not defined. Is that text supposed to be defined by another contribution?

2) After upgrading from version 3.1.8 to 3.1.9, my header tags appear to have stopped working on my store's Category level pages.

3) file admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php

I believe line 943, which is

if (!fpOut)

should be

if (!$fpOut)

4) In admin/header_tags_seo.php

HEADER_TAGS_DIABLE_PERMISSION_WARNING is not defined. Looks like this is setup in the SQL file for 3.1.9, but is not included in your upgrade instructions (when upgrading from v3.1.8)

TEXT_MISSING_VERSION_CHECKER is not defined

5) There appears to be an error produced by line 881 of admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php. The line in question is

eval($sort);

For me, this is trying to evaluate this sort of string:

array_multisort((array)$cols[text],$idkeys); 

I presume the idea is to produce a string like this:

array_multisort((array)$cols['text'],$idkeys);

So, to solve the problem I changed line 874 from

$sort.='$cols['.$k['key'].']';

to

$sort.='$cols[\''.$k['key'].'\']';

Which then allows the eval on line 881 to execute properly (or at least without E-Notice errors)

6) I changed these two lines in admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php, at lines 875-876 in order to eliminate a lot of E-Notice errors in PHP5 when the variables are not defined:

from

if($k['sort']){$sort.=',SORT_'.strtoupper($k['sort']);}
if($k['type']){$sort.=',SORT_'.strtoupper($k['type']);}

to this:

if(isset($k['sort'])){$sort.=',SORT_'.strtoupper($k['sort']);}
   if(isset($k['type'])){$sort.=',SORT_'.strtoupper($k['type']);}

7) Again, regarding admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php. I kept running into an error notice in PHP5 caused by line 799 trying to reference a negative value array reference (-1), so I changed the calculation

from

if ((trim($name[count($name) - 2])) == "//")    //section name starts with //

to

if ((count($name) > 1) && (trim($name[count($name) - 2])) == "//")    //section name starts with //

8) Line 774 of admin/functions/header_tags.php reads

$filltagsPopup['empty'] = POPUP_FILTAGS_EMPTYR;

I believe this should be:

$filltagsPopup['empty'] = POPUP_FILTAGS_EMPTY;

Do you foresee any problems with any of the edits above?

Regards,

David

Edited by Richard Cranium