• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

1. Copied your original file. It works now.

2. Tried overriding keywords and description after removing all default tags. No luck. It actually appears that when ticking the category box for product_info.php in Page Control the category path is being added not only to the page title but also to the meta description and keywords at the end. If the path is excluded, you are left with separators for keywords/description at the end of the lines. Is it supposed to be that way or am I missing something?

3. Can't see a sort box for subcategories. No way to put them before categories then?

1 - That's only a good idea if your categories file has not be chaned by other contributions. Otherwise you will lose whatever functionality was there.

2 - I don't know that I understand your problem but if you are seeing separators without text, it means you have not filled in all of the title or meta tag information. You should run the test function.

3 - There's nothing that will allow sorting the categories and sub-categories on one line.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

1. Thankfully, I didn't install any other contributions that modified categories.php

2. The test results reveal a few duplicate titles and meta descriptions, as well as the following:

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_info.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the product_reviews_write.php file cannot be found.

The Header Tags head code for the specials.php file cannot be found.

I suppose this has nothing to do with my problem as it's product_info.php that's concerned. In general, why would the overrides not work? Would it help if I made a few screenshots and emailed them to you? If so, what should they be of? I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, I'd have to do it all manually, without using the great automation functions of your add-on.

3. Understood. Thanks.

2. The test results reveal a few duplicate titles and meta descriptions, as well as the following:

I suppose this has nothing to do with my problem as it's product_info.php that's concerned. In general, why would the overrides not work? Would it help if I made a few screenshots and emailed them to you? If so, what should they be of? I'd really appreciate it. Otherwise, I'd have to do it all manually, without using the great automation functions of your add-on.

What override are you using? What is the exact problem?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

Would someone please tell me how I can access the HTML code for my web site hosted with OS Commerce.

I would like to enter some SEO Code like Meta Tags for Description and Keywords. I cab access the Admin OK but I tried to to access with an FTP. program but it would not let me log In

Would appreciate any help, I am not an expert or anything like that, just trying to get better results, Thanks in advance

This is the support thread for a contribution. For non-contribution type questions, please post them in the general support forum as a new thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What override are you using? What is the exact problem?

I'm trying to use the Description Override and the Keywords Override. However, both the meta description and keywords tags remain unchanged, i.e. they contain product and category names followed by a space and respective separators.

If it helps, I have Product, Category and Root ticked (in that order) for product_info.php in Page Control. In other words, titles, descriptions and keywords all look the same. The only difference is space/separators for the latter two, whereas titles have the shop's name at the end, which is what I need.

I'm trying to use the Description Override and the Keywords Override. However, both the meta description and keywords tags remain unchanged, i.e. they contain product and category names followed by a space and respective separators.

Both of those options only work with products. I tried it here and the description override works but not the keywords. It used to but the code must have gotten changed somehow at some point. I will put that on the list for the next version. Another problem is that fill tags doesn't change cache so if you have cache enabled, it won't see those changes. I'll add that to the list too.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

What exactly should I do to make the description override work? I've disabled cache and tried the override but nothing happened.

The only reason I can think of that would cause it not to fail is if your products didn't have descriptions.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The only reason I can think of that would cause it not to fail is if your products didn't have descriptions.

Guess you've meant to say "cause it to fail". Well, it bugs me even more now since I do have descriptions for all the products in two languages. Don't think I've omitted any code during the installation either. If you have any other ideas or ways to check what could be wrong, I'd appreciate your insight.

Hello,

Does anyone notice this problem? After using this contribution for a couple of months, the titles and meta descriptions appears correctly if you "View Source" from IE or Firefox browsers. However the entire OSC shop still has very poor SEO ranking in google search. The <title></title> can't be found in gogle search result.

I use the Meta Tag Analyzer checker such as the http://www.seocentro.com/, the report shows "Found no title" and "Found no description". Why is this possible when the "View Source" does show the title tag?

Anyone knows how to fix this title issue and improve ranking in google search?

Thank you!!

I use the Meta Tag Analyzer checker such as the http://www.seocentro.com/, the report shows "Found no title" and "Found no description". Why is this possible when the "View Source" does show the title tag?

Anyone knows how to fix this title issue and improve ranking in google search?

Do the title and tags show up when you use the browsers view source?

Having a contribution like this installed should make a difference in index position of your pages. But it is just a tool. You have to use it correctly or it may not provide the results you want. You may have to edit your title and tags so they are more specific to your pages, for example.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I installed this contribution and it works great, except one thing.

When you add a new product, you can fill in the 3 fields: Product title tag, Product description tag, Product keyword tag.

After doing that, I save/add my new product. But when going back to edit the product, all the filled in tags are gone.

I do can automatically fill in the 3 fields with the product title. I also do can automatically fill in the description tag.

But I want to add/edit those tags by my self.

What is it, why I can't save the manually added tags?

I installed this contribution and it works great, except one thing.

When you add a new product, you can fill in the 3 fields: Product title tag, Product description tag, Product keyword tag.

After doing that, I save/add my new product. But when going back to edit the product, all the filled in tags are gone.

Read the troubleshooting section in the install files.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

Thank you for your advise! Yes the title does show up when I use the broswer's view source. I was just wondering why it doesn't show up on those meta tag checker tools. I though that might be the reason that google spider can't find/recognize the pages of my site. I am able to find my product pages when i search with the store name. So I am sure my store has been indexed by google. It's just when I do keyword search instead of store name, my home page and product pages can't be found even after 40th pages of the google search result. If you have other advises that'd be great!!

Thanks again!

Do the title and tags show up when you use the browsers view source?

Having a contribution like this installed should make a difference in index position of your pages. But it is just a tool. You have to use it correctly or it may not provide the results you want. You may have to edit your title and tags so they are more specific to your pages, for example.

Thank you for your advise! Yes the title does show up when I use the broswer's view source. I was just wondering why it doesn't show up on those meta tag checker tools. I though that might be the reason that google spider can't find/recognize the pages of my site. I am able to find my product pages when i search with the store name. So I am sure my store has been indexed by google. It's just when I do keyword search instead of store name, my home page and product pages can't be found even after 40th pages of the google search result. If you have other advises that'd be great!!

I haven't ran across a site where the view source in admin doesn't work in some time, though it used to be a problem. Assuming you are using the latest version, it must be something to do with your servers php version.

Installing this, or any contribution, won't guarantee high indexed pages. There is much more to improving the position than can be covered here. But, in most cases, improvment is noticed after installing this contribution. You may have to change the keywords to something less competitive or more specific. Searching for SEO on the web will return many. many sites with ways to improve your position.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I removed another Meta Tags contribution I had installed before taking this route and am installing Header Tags SEO. Not even able to test catalog side of store because of a small error issue which is below:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '}' in /xxx/xxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/xxxxx/index.php on line 154

Below is lines 153 and 154:

<?php
} elseif ($category_depth == 'products' || isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

Tried inserting a { a few lines above line 154. Because I am assuming the opening tag for this } elseif needs to be placed above this somewhere. I have tried various areas, but all fail. Did not attach the index.php file because of not sure what part of code I should attach.

I removed another Meta Tags contribution I had installed before taking this route and am installing Header Tags SEO. Not even able to test catalog side of store because of a small error issue which is below:

A file with Header Tags installed is included. Compare yours to it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

A file with Header Tags installed is included. Compare yours to it.

I was just letting you know after I add the above post, I just finished a compare of the two files. When I copied and pasted code, I missed the " { " at line 70 of instructions. So index is fine.

Thanks.

Jack,

Finished the install on admin and everything from the catalog side to admin, am having no problems at this time. But I would like to make a comment.

My last store I did run Header Tags SEO 3.0 with very much success. And now the recent module you have uploaded, has come a long way. All of the instructions and docs, is very helpful and easy to follow. I did the manual install over an modified store.

So thanks for a great job.

Bennett

I have been using Header Tags SEO for some time and love it, thank you for the contribution!

Recently I started a new store, on another domain. I pretty much copied the files from my working site onto the other domain, so I did not have to go through and all the modifications again, I am no big coder, it was a job last time. I installed it on a fresh data, then imported the various SQL data for the modifications.

Anyways, I have pretty much everything working, except I am getting an error for header tags. When I go to Header Tags -> Page Control, the only page showing is the product_info.php page and when I select it, I get the following error:

1054 - Unknown column 'append_product' in 'field list'

select page_title, page_description, page_keywords, page_logo, append_default_title as opt_0, append_default_description as opt_1, append_default_keywords as opt_2, append_default_logo as opt_3, append_category as opt_4, append_manufacturer as opt_5, append_product as opt_6, append_root as opt_7, sortorder_title as opt_8, sortorder_description as opt_9, sortorder_keywords as opt_10, sortorder_logo as opt_11, sortorder_category as opt_12, sortorder_manufacturer as opt_13, sortorder_product as opt_14, sortorder_root as opt_15 from headertags where page_name like 'product_info.php' and language_id = '1' LIMIT 1

[TEP STOP]

Also, my pages are not getting the meta tag data from the products listing. They are just showing the category in each tag.

I am using version 3.0.

Everything else works fine. I can add meta data when I add or edit a product and it sticks. Just this error and the data not getting filled in on the pages.

Any thoughts? Only thing I have left to fix :(

Thank you in advance!

I am using version 3.0.

Sorry, I've no way to check on a version from 23 updates ago. If you don't want to upgrade, then you could try running the test function, if it was in that version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Sorry, I've no way to check on a version from 23 updates ago. If you don't want to upgrade, then you could try running the test function, if it was in that version.

Thanks for the reply jack. I can understand it being such a older version. 23 updates? wow.

I'd love to upgrade, just don't know if I am capable of doing it. It took me a long time to add all the mods last time. Plus being such an old version, if I could upgrade what I have. Would it be a major modification?

I have this version working on my other site without issue, not sure what I did wrong, using it on another site.

Thanks for the reply jack. I can understand it being such a older version. 23 updates? wow.

I'd love to upgrade, just don't know if I am capable of doing it. It took me a long time to add all the mods last time. Plus being such an old version, if I could upgrade what I have. Would it be a major modification?

I have this version working on my other site without issue, not sure what I did wrong, using it on another site.

For the Header Tags files, they can all just be replaced. The biggest problem will be in getting all of the database entries correct. You will have to go through each of the update files and apply the database changes one at a time. There will probably be some edits to your non-Header Tags files too. But if you do one update at a time, I think you will find it is not that difficult. Just time consuming. Many of the updates just say to upload some file or two and the ones with the most changes probably only have a handful of steps.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Awesome addon jack,

Just one issue which i just noticed.

Its seems that the product_info.php page the manufacturer is not showing up on the page title.

I am using the latest contri, i know abit of php and had a look

the manufacturers ID is getting picked up but the query in the header_tags.php doesn't seem to be grabbing it?

Awesome addon jack,

Just one issue which i just noticed.

Its seems that the product_info.php page the manufacturer is not showing up on the page title.

I am using the latest contri, i know abit of php and had a look

the manufacturers ID is getting picked up but the query in the header_tags.php doesn't seem to be grabbing it?

I haven't tried this but I think it will work. In includes/functions/header_tags.php, find

if (($type == 'cat' || $type == 'top') && ($pageTags['append_category'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_category']))

and change it to

$product = ($product && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_category']) ? true : false);

if (($type == 'cat' || $type == 'top') && ($pageTags['append_category'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_category'] || $product))

Please let me know if it works or not so I can add it to the next version.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons