• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Jack,

I just installed on a clean 2.3.3.4. Thanks for the awesome package... good stuff.

One protocol question, if I still have the sample products, and will be adding my real products next. Should I run fill tags now or wait until I finish deleting the old and adding the new?

Also found a couple minor typos in the Greater than 2.3 instructions:

FIND (around line 316):
	 tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&pID=' . $products_id));
 }
 break;
 case 'copy_to_confirm':
ADD ABOVE:
	 /*** Begin Header Tags SEO ***/
	 if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_CACHE != 'None') {
	 require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
	 ResetCache_HeaderTags('product_info.php', 'p_' . $products_id);
	 }
	 /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

Should it be? -removing the extra " } "

FIND (around line 316):
	 tep_redirect(tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&pID=' . $products_id));
break;
 case 'copy_to_confirm':
ADD ABOVE:
	 if (HEADER_TAGS_ENABLE_CACHE != 'None') {
	 require_once(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'header_tags.php');
	 ResetCache_HeaderTags('product_info.php', 'p_' . $products_id);
	 }

then on the catalog side

FIND:
<p align="center"><?php echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY; ?></p>
ADD AFTER:
<?php
if ($request_type == NONSSL) {
if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_TAG_CLOUD == 'true') {
 echo '<div style="text-align:center">';
 include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'headertags_seo_tagcloud_footer.php');
 echo '</div>';
}
}
?>

should be?

FIND:
<p align="center"><?php echo FOOTER_TEXT_BODY; ?></p>
ADD AFTER:
<?php
if ($request_type == 'NONSSL') {
if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_TAG_CLOUD == 'true') {
 echo '<div style="text-align:center">';
 include(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'headertags_seo_tagcloud_footer.php');
 echo '</div>';
}
}
?>

Hope that helps others - Dave

-Dave

Dave - It is safe to run Fill Tags at any time as long as you are sure to use the Fill Only Empty Tags option. The changes it makes will be to the products description table for the products that are present at that time. If you delete the products later, then those changes are deleted too.

Thank you for pointing out those mistakes. I have made the corrections in the next version.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack.

TEST

Database/File Mismatch Error: explain

The number of file entries in the database (24) does not match the number in the includes/header_tags.php file (22).

Files not in the includes/header_tags.php file:

opensearch.php

configure.php

PAGE CONTROL

Error Page not added - file name is invalid - opensearch.php exclude

Error Page not added - file name is invalid - configure.php exclude

When I click the exclude link, the page refreshes but no change seems to occur. When I return to Page Control the error notices still persist. So for some reason the exclude is not excluding. Any suggestion? Did I miss a code block or a file permission or something?

Thanks again

-Dave

The last person to post had the same problem and had missed uploading the headertags_seo_exclude.php so that is probably the same reason for you. And as I mentioned to him, you shouldn't exclude files without checking them first. Having a configure file in the root directory is a security hole, if it is a valid file. Excluding it just hides it from this addon so the security hole would still be there.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I have no idea how that configure file got there - removed. oh my!!

/admin/headertags_seo_exclude.php exists and is uploaded.

headertags_seo_exclude.php

<?php
require('includes/application_top.php');

$file = $_GET['exclude'];

if (file_exists(DIR_FS_CATALOG . $file)) { //cheap way to verify the input wasn't altered by a hacker
 file_put_contents('includes/headertags_seo_excludes.txt', $file . "\n", FILE_APPEND);
 tep_db_query("delete from " . TABLE_HEADERTAGS . " where page_name = '" . $file . "'");
}

tep_redirect(tep_href_link('header_tags_seo.php'));
exit();

Am I missing this file? includes/headertags_seo_excludes.txt

or should the code be creating it? I don't see it on the server or locally

-Dave

The code creates it if it isn't present. The problem might be that your server is setup to not allow the creation of files. The error log may have something in it if that is the case.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you Jack. Well that's got me stumped.. nothing in logs that I can find. no biggie though.

As a workaround could I just place a txt file at includes/headertags_seo_excludes.txt with the required entry for opensearch.php?

if so how should it look? Thanks much.!!

On a side note, I haven't looked at this yet, but when I enabled silo links and tagcloud, they don't seem to appear. Are there additional steps required for a clean 2.3.3.4 install for those to work?

-Dave

For silo links, you have to install the box for it in admin. For tag cloud, it should show up once you enable it and a search for something is found.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

I installed this contribution (I have OSCommerce v. 2.3), but when I go into the admin section under Header Tags SEO box, I don't see the link for "Options". When I look at the header_tags_seo.php file in the admin/includes/boxes that I transferred over, it also doesn't include any code for an "Options" link. Is there not supposed to be an options link? The issue I am having is that the title of the page is showing up in my header of my page as well, and I want to disable this (which I thought should be able to be done through "Options"). Here is a link to my site so that you can see what I mean: http://www.bandmans.com/newsite/index.php (also shows up on all other pages of the site).

Any ideas on how to remove the title from my header?

Here are the errors I get when I run the test by the way -- but I don't think they are related to the problem I am currently having.

error.gif Page not added - file name is invalid - dresscode_theme.php exclude error.gif Page not added - file name is invalid - boxnewsletter.php exclude error.gif Page not added - file name is invalid - opensearch.php exclude error.gif Found Missing Tags:

Products table has 2 items with missing meta tag information. error.gif Permissions settings for the /var/www/vhosts/bandmans.com/httpdocs/newsite/includes/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect. Change to 755. NOTE: Disregard if on Windows server.

It looks like I just need to set "Display Page Top Title" to false in the Admin section and it should remove that title from my header, however I don't see anywhere in the admin where I can set this to false (or to true). Is it possible that I missed a step in the admin install part? I went over it again, and I still don't see the option for "Display Page Top Title" Anyone else have this issue?

For now I just removed the code from the header which calls for the title to be shown in the header if "Display Page Top Title" is set to True, so it no longer shows up in the header of my pages, however I would really like to be able to find where I can change that option in the Admin section if possible. I don't mean to spam this thread -- I just wanted to update everyone as to why the title will no longer show on my site if you are to visit it when attempting to help troubleshoot.

@@bandmans From the Install_Readme_Last file:

6 - Go to admin-Configuration->Header Tags SEO and change the settings to your preferences.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, I can't believe I read past that. I literally read every piece of documentation included with the contribution, and I read over the one piece of information I needed. Thank you very much!! Fixes the issue perfectly. I love the contribution by the way, as with many of the others you have created -- I use it with every site I build. This just happened to be the first time I have installed it on v2.3.

• 2 weeks later...

It's because you have some check box checked in Page Control for whichever file is having the problem that is empty. I can't suggest much without knowing which field is missing but you may want to try running the test routine to see if it shows anything.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 3 weeks later...

little help with a %s please. On a products page, the column box, the %s is not working. How do I sort?

in the box I'm seeing

products description (...See More about %s)

english.php has

define('TEXT_SEE_MORE', 'See More about %s');

which is called here in bm_header_tags.php

$data = '<span class="hide-on-mobile"><div class="ui-widget infoBoxContainer">' .
		 ' <div class="ui-widget-header ui-corner-top infoBoxHeading">' . '<a style="text-decoration:none;" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id']).'" >' . $header_title . '</a>' . '</div>' .
		 ' <div class="ui-widget-content ui-corner-bottom infoBoxContents">' .
			 strip_tags(substr($product_info['products_description'], 0, 100)) .
		 ' <a style="color: red;" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id']).'" > (...' . TEXT_SEE_MORE . ')</a>' .
		 ' </div>' .
		 '</div></span>';

I have no idea what to look for next. Googled this thread and no luck. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Dave

Assuming version 2.3, in the includes/modules/boxes/bm_header_tags.php file, change this line

'    <a style="color: red;" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id']).'"  >  (...' . TEXT_SEE_MORE . ')</a>' .

to

'    <a style="color: red;" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id']).'"  >  (...' . sprintf(TEXT_SEE_MORE, $header_title) . ')</a>' .

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons