• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hi Jack,

I can not edit or add url on the admin page header tags social media. The images folder has been copied entirely social bookmark in images

When I try to change the link or add other bookmark and click on Save, I got an error from the browser google says: "Images and url do not match"

error_SEO.jpg

Does the text on that page not explain the problem? Here is what part of states:

When entering a url for one of the social icons, it it important to use the keywords URL and TITLE (in caps) where they are needed in the url since they will be replaced in the code with the proper values. If those aren't entered, the entry won't be recorded.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Hi!

I installes latest osc and latest Header tags.

In Admin/ Headertags/ Pagecontrol in header appears

Page not added - file name is invalid - view_counter_install.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - view_counter_trap.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - view_counter_trap_badbot.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - article_manager_update_configure.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - opensearch.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - article_popup_print.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - article_blog.php

What I should do?

Also when Im adding new product (or category) Custom url field doesnt work (I have installed Your latest SEO urls). And no output errors.

Edited by gvv

We would like to install this contrib. I've been reading through some of the posts and saw a couple mention PHP version. Our shop is running on PHP 4. However, our host says they can upgrade us to 5.3.13. Would your recommendation be to do this or wait for your version that removes the 5.3 requirement?

If an upgrade to 5.3.13 is your recommendation, would we be risking problems with existing code not working anymore? In other words, what are the potential disadvantages, if any, to upgrading to PHP 5.3.13? Likewise, are there key advantages to upgrading? (Obviously you don't know what mods we have installed but I'm asking if there are any known potential issues or disadvantages to upgrading PHP version.)

I know this is a little off topic but it relates back to this contrib because of our desire to install it. In fact, I wouldn't have even questioned the PHP server information if it were not for this support thread and my inclination to be a little prepared instead of simply jumping into code.

Thanks.

Add-Ons personally installed:

Step by Step Manual Order -- Request Reviews -- Reviews in Product Listing -- Reviews in Product Display -- Review Approval System -- Leverage Browser Cache --
Header Tag Controller -- Multilayer SEO Pop Out Menu -- Follow Us Box -- View All Products -- USPS Shipping Labels -- UPS Shipping Labels -- Monthly Sales/Tax Report --
htacess Optimisation -- Remove Unused Images -- Master Password -- Admin Change Customer Password -- Database Backup Manager -- Zero Stock Report --
Searchbox Search In Descriptions -- Easy Populate 2.76i -- Barcode Rendering -- Admin Sort By Model -- Products Purchased Report

Add-Ons personally developed:

Search for email address, etc in Orders -- Discontinue Product

Add-Ons installed by others:

View Counter -- Site Monitor -- Image Thumbnailer -- Database Optimizer -- Recaptcha -- Discount Coupons -- Add More Fields

A new version has been uploaded with these changes:

- Added the price and quantity as Twitter Card attributes.

- Added code to correctly check if social infobox is installed.

- Added an exclude option for invalid files found in Page Control.

- Changed code in includes/header_tags.php to display the correct language meta tag.

- Changed the pagination code for the keywords section so it can handle a larger number of words.

- Changed the meta tag module for the product edit page so it displays better when an editor is being used.

- Corrected some minor html mistakes in admin/headertags_seo.php - found by member nimaP.

- Corrected the image path code in the admin social function that prevented the social images from loading on some sites.

- Corrected code for OG description that failed if the description was shorter than the minimum.

- Removed testing code from the social box for 2.3

- Removed 5.3 only code.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

@@Jack_mcs

Hi!

I installes latest osc and latest Header tags.

In Admin/ Headertags/ Pagecontrol in header appears

Page not added - file name is invalid - view_counter_install.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - view_counter_trap.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - view_counter_trap_badbot.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - article_manager_update_configure.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - opensearch.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - article_popup_print.php

Page not added - file name is invalid - article_blog.php

What I should do?

Also when Im adding new product (or category) Custom url field doesnt work (I have installed Your latest SEO urls). And no output errors.

These are files that are not meant to be used with this addon or are invalid shop files in some way. If they do not belong on the server, they should be deleted, like view_counter_install.php , which is a security hazard if left there. For the others, they can be added to the exclude list so they are ignored by the Header Tags SEO code. In the latest version, the word "exclude" will appear for each file. If you click on it, the file will be added to the exclude list for you.

When you say the custom field doesn't work, I can only guess that you mean it is recorded OK but doesn't show up in the url. If that is the case, then be sure to clear the cache of Ultimate SEO (or just uninstall/install it via the settings) and that the use header tags option is set in its settings.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@kru The latest version will work with shops pre-5.3 though I'm not sure about pre-5.0. You should have your host upgrade to 5.3 since there are many security holes in your version and the code is not as efficient as in 5.3. But unless your files have been changed to work with 5.3, it won't. It can be made to work with it. There are posts on how to do that here in the forums. It is not an overly difficult job as much as time-consuming since there are about 40 files that need to be edited in a standard shop. If you have many addons installed, there may be more. But, overall, it would be to your advantage to upgrade the code to work with 5.3.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@kru The latest version will work with shops pre-5.3 though I'm not sure about pre-5.0. You should have your host upgrade to 5.3 since there are many security holes in your version and the code is not as efficient as in 5.3. But unless your files have been changed to work with 5.3, it won't. It can be made to work with it. There are posts on how to do that here in the forums. It is not an overly difficult job as much as time-consuming since there are about 40 files that need to be edited in a standard shop. If you have many addons installed, there may be more. But, overall, it would be to your advantage to upgrade the code to work with 5.3.

Thanks. I just completed the file changes to upgrade to PHP 5.3 and the upgrade seems to have went off without a hitch. In all there were 24 files that needed changed. For those who are needing to upgrade to 5.3, here is a link to the contrib I used to identify the files and changes necessary:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7394

I found that most of the files had not been changed since our original install, so I was able to drop them on the server (after backing up the originals, of course.) For the few files that we had changed, I was able to apply the changes within the files because the contrib has the individual changes outlined too. (After backing up the originals, of course.)

Thanks for the info and for providing the motivation...

Step by Step Manual Order -- Request Reviews -- Reviews in Product Listing -- Reviews in Product Display -- Review Approval System -- Leverage Browser Cache --
Header Tag Controller -- Multilayer SEO Pop Out Menu -- Follow Us Box -- View All Products -- USPS Shipping Labels -- UPS Shipping Labels -- Monthly Sales/Tax Report --
htacess Optimisation -- Remove Unused Images -- Master Password -- Admin Change Customer Password -- Database Backup Manager -- Zero Stock Report --
Searchbox Search In Descriptions -- Easy Populate 2.76i -- Barcode Rendering -- Admin Sort By Model -- Products Purchased Report

View Counter -- Site Monitor -- Image Thumbnailer -- Database Optimizer -- Recaptcha -- Discount Coupons -- Add More Fields

How about a new wrinkle? We already have Header Tags Controller v1.2 installed on our site. I looked at the support thread for that contrib and it sounds like it's outdated and upgrading to Header Tags SEO v3.0 is highly recommended. Is there any documentation on what all is involved with that sort of upgrade or can you provide any advice?

Thanks.

@@kru I stopped supporting it about six years ago, as I recall. If I were doing the installation, I would treat it as a new installation of this addon. Some of the changes in HTC will sort of match the ones in this one but the code is different. But you have to make the database changes manually through 3.2.3 unless you don't care about losing the titles and tags setup in your shop. That assumes you have a later version of HTC where those were stored in the database. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Once you get the changes to 3.2.3, you can use the update file in the database directory. You can also follow all of the upgrade docs included with the package.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@kru I stopped supporting it about six years ago, as I recall. If I were doing the installation, I would treat it as a new installation of this addon. Some of the changes in HTC will sort of match the ones in this one but the code is different. But you have to make the database changes manually through 3.2.3 unless you don't care about losing the titles and tags setup in your shop. That assumes you have a later version of HTC where those were stored in the database. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. Once you get the changes to 3.2.3, you can use the update file in the database directory. You can also follow all of the upgrade docs included with the package.

HTC 2.6.3. The last version you released. Had we used our crystal ball we would have waited a couple months for your SEO 3.0. :)

Not sure I completely follow what you're saying above. Are you talking about two different options?

Option 1 would be to apply the newest version to the original (vanilla) php files as if we never installed HTC? But then we lose all the titles and tags in the database? Because there is a point in the process where we would do a database update and it would erase values in fields as part of that build? Because it's assuming those fields aren't there yet?

Option 2 would be to try to walk through 3.0 from the first release and apply everything as changes to our existing files? Disregarding the point in the process where we have to update the database to create new fields we already have?

I guess the database part of things is what's confusing me. I can make changes to php files, no problem. I can set them back to original versions, no problem. But, when you're talking about modifying the physical structure of a database that has already been changed for a completely different program, I get nervous.

On a related note, is there a way to save the titles and tags from the database and reload them, possibly?

Edited by kru

This post is not for Jack but, rather, for anyone who read the following post about our php 5.3 upgrade going off without a hitch. Turns out there was a hitch and I've provided an additional item at the end of the original quote, which appears now:

Thanks. I just completed the file changes to upgrade to PHP 5.3 and the upgrade seems to have went off without a hitch. In all there were 24 files that needed changed. For those who are needing to upgrade to 5.3, here is a link to the contrib I used to identify the files and changes necessary:

http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/7394

I found that most of the files had not been changed since our original install, so I was able to drop them on the server (after backing up the originals, of course.) For the few files that we had changed, I was able to apply the changes within the files because the contrib has the individual changes outlined too. (After backing up the originals, of course.)

Thanks for the info and for providing the motivation...

Evidently the new version of php wasn't being utilized immediately so all the 'successful' poking around I was doing was still using 4.0. This morning I woke up and we were getting an Internal Server Error on the Admin side. I looked at the error log and it was giving a Fatal error trying to reassign $this in admin\includes\classes\upload.php.

I did some research on these forums and found post http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/topic/117655-fatal-error-cannot-re-assignuploadphp-on-line31/ which prompted me to replace

$this = null;

with

unset($this); 

on line 31 of upload.php.

No more Internal Server Error. Seems to be back to normal. Will provide another update if required.

@@kru HTC had some tags data in the database, depending upon the version. The name of the database fields for those were kept the same when I wrote this one so that there wouldn't be any loss of that data. So as long as you don't overwrite the existing HTC fields, you won't lose anything. The update file in the database directory of this addon is safe to run. It doesn't add anything unless it doesn't exist. But it was only released around version 3.2.3 so any database changes before that were not included So you can use that file now and it will update the database to, almost, the latest version but there will be some fields missing. You will have to go through the update files to find the commands for those.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Does this contribution provide re-written URLs for products? URLs that are understandable by a human and are generated from the title, etc. "This-is-the-product-name" instead of "product_info.php?products_id=2166", for instance.

Is it highly recommended that we upgrade/change to Header Tags SEO v3.0 and 'scrap' the old Header Tags Controller we are using now? If so, can you summarize the advantages of doing so? We are trying to improve our organic search results through a variety of methods. If 3.0 contains significant advancements/improvements that will help in that endeavor, perhaps we should be installing it AND Ultimate SEO...

If the reasons for upgrading/changing to 3.0 are already summarized somewhere, just let me know and I'll quit bugging you. For now... :)

Thanks.

No, I don't have the time to cover six years of changes. They are documented in history file. As far as upgrading, you would be making a very large mistake by not doing so, in my opinion.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Understood. I sent you a message.

Hello,

after updating to the last version, i have some problem like language key missing for social options like HEADING_TEXT_TWITTER_CARD or HEADING_TEXT_SOCIAL_ICONS. Where can i found this keys in language files ?

other way, i have nothing in "from site" meta tag English From Site: Title -> Meta Description -> Meta Keywords -> From Settings: Title -> - Brown Chinese letter Incense Holder Meta Description -> - Brown Chinese letter Incense Holder

Meta Keywords -> , Brown Chinese letter Incense Holder

I have use fill tag part but no way to resolve this.

Thanks for the help

Those missing definitions are in the header_tags_seo_social.php file in the English directory. If you are using a different language, you have to upload the files to that directory and also make whatever edits are needed for the language files. For the missing data, if you go to the page and view its source, is the data there?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

thank you. I have found and solve the language keys.

For the missing data, unfortunately, there is nothing in the source page :

<title></title>

<meta name="Description" content="" >

<meta name="Keywords" content="" >

what is the header tags code which do that in index.php ?

Thank you very much for your help. It's a wonderful program ;-)