• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hi Jack.

Looks like another very proffesional add-on. Many thanks in advance.

I'm re-doing our website with 2.3.3. We were on 2.2

A quick question before I start installing, I see the default 2.3.3 has a 'Canonical Header Links' in the header tags module.

Is that compatable with this contribution?

Also a social bookmarking module already exisits but with slightly different name. I'm assuming it came out later than your contribution ?

Iain

The canonical code will work with Header Tags installed but you will end up with two of them. So you should either turn off the one in Header Tags or in 2.3. The social bookmarks in Header Tags was added years before 2.3 came out. Both can be used but may be confusing to your visitors. You will have to evaluate that.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Many thanks for the quick and consise answer.

Although I'm adapting a template, Ive managed to get most working on the catalogue side.

It has Dynamic template system installed so loadsa code has been moved around etc, some took a while to track down.

No errors reported as yet.

I am though stuck on the include/modules/product_listing.php adaption, right at the end.

I am assuming THIS is the code that needs changing...

-----------------------------

case 'PRODUCT_LIST_NAME':

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id']) && tep_not_null($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {

$p_name = $lc_text = '<span><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . '&products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a></span>';

} else {

$p_name = $lc_text = '<span><a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, ($cPath ? 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&' : '') . 'products_id=' . $listing['products_id']) . '">' . $listing['products_name'] . '</a></span>';

}

break;

----------------

As you probably noticed this used different variables and construction so until I can trace back to WHAT is going on here or what contribution has changed this so I can research I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

I take it this bit of code is essential?

Regadrs.

Iain

That appears to be code used in many templates. You can use the supplied text but change the lc_text .= lc_add to p_name .= lc_add. If that doesn't work, you will need to figure it out since I don't support changed code due to the many variations.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

For reference if anyone else has this code installed, I used the supplied text without changing anything and it works fine.

I vaguley remember putting some similar code on an old 2.2 site with PHP version difficulties, I think it obviousy equates to the same thing further down the code.

Just two things to sort out, I'm getting no category desriptions appearing, but thats probably cos of the template and hopefully I can sort it on further investigation.

And I am getting a copy link to the first product on the left most column in a category list, just to the right of it. Most annoying. Not sure about that one as yet.

Thanks for your help.

Iain

OK my last problem I promise. Apart from this it works perfectly

I have discovered i cannot delete categories from the admin, although products and creating is OK, just deleting categories.

No error message just ignores it after I press confirm.

Any idea?

Hi Jack,

I have an issue that I can't figure out and I searched in this topic but didn't find a solution.

If I enter text into the "Product Page Sub Text" section it displays on the product page - twice.

It will display once below the standard product info and then again further below. But the second time it displays it shows up below the social media links.

At first I thought I just pasted the info twice in the box on accident, but then I noticed that the first time is above the social media links and the second time is below the social media links.

Any ideas what could be happening here?

@@yahalimu That means you've made a mistake in the edits of the admin/categories.php file. You can use the included one to test with and compare against.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If I enter text into the "Product Page Sub Text" section it displays on the product page - twice.

The only thing I can think of is that there is a loop on the page and you placed the code within that loop. Although, since the bookmarks only show once that seems unlikely. You could try using the included products_info.php file. Just rename it to something like products_info_test.php and edit the url so it is used. If the text still shows twice, then it is, somehow, due to the categories file changes in admin. If it works correctly, then you can compare your file to it to find teh problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@brudan Some of the code added for this addon uses div's and/or <tr><td>'s and that sometimes doesn't work with some template code. I suggest you replace the product page with the original and then make the changed one at a time, checking the page each time. Once you find the code that is causing the problem, you can adjust the html so it displays correctly for your site.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I appreciate the quick reply. Im not exactly sure which page it is that I need to replace. Although I have had some experience with this kind of thing I am having a hard time finding the one that needs replaced.

I appreciate the quick reply. Im not exactly sure which page it is that I need to replace. Although I have had some experience with this kind of thing I am having a hard time finding the one that needs replaced.

It seems to be when I click on a sub category only.

The url you provided to show the problem had index.php in it. That's the file to be changed.

Thank you. I found the problem. I had one too many </DIV tags in there.

This is a great addon. I don't envy you writing it thats for sure.

One more question? My social bookmark images won't show. The google one does .. the others don't. Any suggestions?

When I upload new products, the products title and description doesn't appear in the header tags. I have to go in and redo the header tags again every time. Is the products title and description supposed to appear when I upload new products or am I supposed to be keep going in and redoing the header tags every time I put new products up? I have searched and searched to find an answer to this. No one else has said anything about this.

When you say "upload," I assume you are referring to Easy Populate. If that is the case, then you need to enable the Header Tags setting in that file and fill in the Header Tags fields before uploading.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Thanks so much for your obvious hard work on this contribution. I am having a problem that I hope you can help me with.

I ran the install file which is supposed to update the database but it kept failing - it would appear I had probably tried to install this in the past

and put it off to the side and forgot about it until now. So, I was looking for the headertags_seo.sql file in the 2nd to most recent package in

the contributions section, HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.9, but it appears to be missing. I am having a problem with 1054 - Unknown column 'pd.products_head_listing_text' in 'field list' when I click on any of the links to find info about missing products/names. I was hoping to use the sql file to fill in whatever gaps there may be in the database.

Can you tell me where to find that file? Thanks a lot!

I also just ran the test and noticed the following:

Cannot find file /home/....../public_html///...../header_tags_seo.php. Cannot find file /home/....../public_html///...../header_tags_fill_tags.php. Cannot find file /home/....../public_html///...../includes/header_tags_seo_words.txt. Cannot find file /home/....../public_html///...../includes/functions/header_tags.php. Cannot find file /home/....../public_html///...../includes/boxes/header_tags_seo.php.

Cannot find file /home/....../public_html///...../includes/languages/english/header_tags_seo.php.

It's puzzling since aside from the database error things appear to be OK, and the files are actually there.

Can you please advise? Thanks again

Never mind about this as I took the info from the install file - there was 1 or two others missing and I was able to update the table.

The previous post still needs an answer if u would be so kind, and one other item that i noticed. I am getting the following error when clicking on the link under configuration:

Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'header_tags_reset_cache' not found or invalid function name in /home/....../public_html/......./includes/functions/general.php on line 1242.

1240 function tep_call_function($function, $parameter, $object = '') {

1241 if ($object == '') {

1242 return call_user_func($function, $parameter);

I have no idea what this is about so perhaps you can help me. my store is a 2.2 shop running on php 5.3 and as I mentioned everything else appears to be OK, AFAICT. Thanks..

Hi Jack

Thanks so much for your obvious hard work on this contribution. I am having a problem that I hope you can help me with.

I ran the install file which is supposed to update the database but it kept failing - it would appear I had probably tried to install this in the past

and put it off to the side and forgot about it until now. So, I was looking for the headertags_seo.sql file in the 2nd to most recent package in

the contributions section, HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.9, but it appears to be missing. I am having a problem with 1054 - Unknown column 'pd.products_head_listing_text' in 'field list' when I click on any of the links to find info about missing products/names. I was hoping to use the sql file to fill in whatever gaps there may be in the database.

Can you tell me where to find that file? Thanks a lot!

Edited by AJRYAN

@@AJRYAN For the database failure, the update file only works with fairly new versions. If you have an older version installed, which is sounds like you do, you have to make the database changes manually by going through all of the update docs. Or go into the database, delete all of the Header Tags tables and use the install file.

For the second problem, that usually happens when the Header Tags files have not been uploaded.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks for responding. I think, or I'm pretty sure that all the database table entries are complete as I added them when the errors popped up, and nore more db issues have surfaced. I am 99.99 % certain that all of the files were uploaded correctly. As I mentioned, everything does appear to be functioning properly except for those errors about missing files which I know are there, and the cache reset function issue I mentioned. If I knew where that function was being called from I could probably figure it out from there. If you could point me in that direction that would be great.

Thanks again Jack. I cannot imagine how much effort you put into this.

AJ