• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Is this code correct.

Getting validation error on this, and it seems duplicated. " . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title'] . ' "

Should it be " . '">' . $header_tags_array['title'] . ' "

if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_CURRENTLY_VIEWING == 'true') {
	  echo '<div style="margin-top:5px;"><div style="text-align:center" class="smallText">' .TEXT_VIEWING . ' ';
	  if (! tep_not_null($header_tags_array['title'])) $header_tags_array['title'] = $product_info['products_name'];
	  echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '</a>';

OK, but i think it is a little miss formatted.

Shouldn't the " be removed in front of /# as there is 5 pcs. in that line

and you also have a space after /# ', making the link also have space between and therefor not valid.

Stock code

echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '"/# ' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '</a>';

Changed

if (HEADER_TAGS_DISPLAY_CURRENTLY_VIEWING == 'true') {
	  echo '<div style="margin-top:5px;"><div style="text-align:center" class="smallText">' .TEXT_VIEWING . ' ';
	  if (! tep_not_null($header_tags_array['title'])) $header_tags_array['title'] = $product_info['products_name'];
	  echo '<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '/#' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '</a>';
	  echo '</div></div>';
  }
  /*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

It's not part of the link, it is the anchor name. All that is required, as far as I know is that the anchor name matches what is given in the achor link. So if you look at the source, the anchor link will have something like name="xxx" and if you look at the currently viewing section, the name will be xxx, so they match. You can remove the space if you want but it is not neccessary. If you can show me an html reference that says it is wrong though, I would be interested in seeing it.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I am aware of thet it is just an anchor name, but the output i get from the W3 validation show me what i think is a invalid link.

I changed it to this and now it is working and showing a correct link. (Not concerned about the space, it validate anyway.)

<a title="' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . $product_info['products_id'], 'NONSSL') . '#' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '">

But the "/ made it not validate, and " should be paired, and in the original code the numbers of " was odd not even. So eighter there was one to little or one to much.

And the validating is more for fun and have a quick check that i don't miss or add to many tags that break up the code.

Many of the addons is not written for the latest OSC (2.3.3), and even if they claim to be 2.3 ready there are still some major changes after that.

Hi Jack, My site was hacked a couple of months ago and I removed all files from the server to remove files added by the hacker. I have just reloaded my site www.bluetoothit.co.uk only to find that the page titles etc have reverted back to default, (replace in page control). I'm not able to get into page control within admin under sep but every other selection eg silo & fill tags etc I can. What would be causing this?

HeaderTags_SEO_V_3 - Being Used

Warning: opendir(/home/kidditra/public_html/bluetoothit/) [function.opendir]: failed to open dir: No such file or directory in/home/kidditra/public_html/www.bluetoothit.co.uk/admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 16

Failed to open dir

(this is the warning that shows up when page control is selected)

Please can someone help? - PS i can still update page titles etc via php myadmin but don't know how to get the product pages to use the product name as the title

And the validating is more for fun and have a quick check that i don't miss or add to many tags that break up the code.

Many of the addons is not written for the latest OSC (2.3.3), and even if they claim to be 2.3 ready there are still some major changes after that.

Yes, that will always be the case. You have people like me that consider validating a waste of time so I don't think to check things like auto-closing tags, which I should, of course, and then there are the kids just out of programing 101 that upload code that should never be released and probably a bunch in between. It is a good idea to validate a page once in a while since it can have broken code in it and that may find it. But every warning they mention is not necessairly one that should be fixed, unless you just like doing that.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack, My site was hacked a couple of months ago and I removed all files from the server to remove files added by the hacker. I have just reloaded my site www.bluetoothit.co.uk only to find that the page titles etc have reverted back to default, (replace in page control). I'm not able to get into page control within admin under sep but every other selection eg silo & fill tags etc I can. What would be causing this?

Besides what Arild said, the titles and tag data are stored in the database. If they are showing and you are still accessing the same database, then the database must have been replaced or reset. In that case, you will have to re-run Fill Tags and re-enter whatever you had entered before for Header Tags related items.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

@@isysni

Looks like the server path has changed.

/home/kidditra/public_html/bluetoothit/ is not the same as /home/kidditra/public_html/www.bluetoothit.co.uk/

@@isysni

Looks like the server path has changed.

/home/kidditra/public_html/bluetoothit/ is not the same as /home/kidditra/public_html/www.bluetoothit.co.uk/

How would i fix this easily?

Hi Jack,

How do I do this? I can access and change information in php myadmin whcih is fine. Is there anyway or code I can put in to the product info section within database that will copy the name from the product? This is the only thing I wish to do but without being able to access the page control in admin I'm at a bit of a lose

How can I add more keywords to my pages? With the current character amount, I can only add 16 keywords, and I would like to increase the amount of coverage I have.

Thanks so much!

-Jennifer J.

I thought that most of your work was validating, otherwise i should think that your code never should work as good as i does :-)

Thanks. :)

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

How do I do this? I can access and change information in php myadmin whcih is fine. Is there anyway or code I can put in to the product info section within database that will copy the name from the product? This is the only thing I wish to do but without being able to access the page control in admin I'm at a bit of a lose

You could use
update products_description set products_head_title_tag='products_name'

The better solution, of course, is to fix the code so it works correctly.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

How can I add more keywords to my pages? With the current character amount, I can only add 16 keywords, and I would like to increase the amount of coverage I have.

The current limit for the keywords tag is over 4 trilion so it seems unlikely you are reaching that limit. Entering many keywords is usually not helpful, and may even be harmful. For a keyword to be of any use on a page, it has to be used in the text on the page. For 16+ keywords, the amount of text would be too much for a normal page (customers don't like all of that text). If you don't use the keywords on the page, having that many keywords is what is known as "keyword stuffing" and the search engines, especialy google, may punish a page they find doing that. If you have that many keywords you need to target, then you should install the Information Pages or Article Manager contribution, both of which work with Header Tags, and add pages for each of the keywords.

By the way, iIn the next version of Header Tags, the size of the various fields has been reduced to save wasting space in the database.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Has anyone encountered the problem reported here of only secure content being displayed on SSL pages? I am getting the problem with both IE 9 and Google Chrome and the linked topic suggests it is being caused by social bookmarks.

Social bookmarks shouldn't be on secure pages. If your whole shop is secured, it shouldn't be. But in the case that you want it to be, the fix is in that thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons