• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

This has been reported before but I could never get it to fail. But, as it turns out, I just installed it into a 2.3 shop with a template today and I could see the failure. To fix it, edit the includes/functions/header_tags.php file. Change this line (should be around line 137):

if ( tep_not_null($manStr) && ($type == 'top' && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))) {

to

if ( tep_not_null($manStr) && (($type == 'top' || $type == 'man') && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))) {

Jack, on a 2.3.3 shop I used the above code and my meta is showing the shop name and shop description for the particular manufacturer. The page itself is showing the manufacturer info correctly. The meta seems to default to the shops meta.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Jack, on a 2.3.3 shop I used the above code and my meta is showing the shop name and shop description for the particular manufacturer. The page itself is showing the manufacturer info correctly. The meta seems to default to the shops meta.

I don't have a 2.3.3 shop setup but I don't think version would be any different in regards to this contribution. Do you have the manufacturers checkbox checked in Page Control for index.php? Are there titles and tags data in the manufacturers edit page in admin? If both of those are OK, try the included index.php file to see if it works.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't have a 2.3.3 shop setup but I don't think version would be any different in regards to this contribution. Do you have the manufacturers checkbox checked in Page Control for index.php? Are there titles and tags data in the manufacturers edit page in admin? If both of those are OK, try the included index.php file to see if it works.

My apology on this, it was the checkbox. In thinking about this now, some time ago i unchecked the manufacturer because I think it was Bing Webmaster tools was telling me the title was to long for SEO, by removing the manufacturer info the titles went down to what Bing considers acceptable.

If Bings issue is valid, it would be good to be able to have the manufacturer page meta controlled separate from product info meta.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

My apology on this, it was the checkbox. In thinking about this now, some time ago i unchecked the manufacturer because I think it was Bing Webmaster tools was telling me the title was to long for SEO, by removing the manufacturer info the titles went down to what Bing considers acceptable.

If Bings issue is valid, it would be good to be able to have the manufacturer page meta controlled separate from product info meta.

All titles and meta tags can be edited.Just change it to whatever you want to use.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

All titles and meta tags can be edited.Just change it to whatever you want to use.

Unless I am missing something, if I enable manufacturers in header tags I will get the proper manufacturer page meta, but I will also get manufacturer in product info whether I want it or not as so:

product name + category + manufacturer

I want the product name and category, but for Bing's issues I wanted to shorten the meta so I needed to drop the manufacturer.

so if i don't want the manufacturer in the product info, I have to uncheck the manu box, but now my manufacturer page won't generate manufacturer meta, just the default shop.

So it's either none or both as I see how that works

I used the original index.php and the php that i made by myself (twotimes) about (for the new shop only and greater then 2.3.).

when i select a manufacturer in the front side of te shop, i can not see title, description and keywords.

when i select a product or a category on the front side of the shop, everythings works and i can see the tags.

On the backside i can see, in the catalog section and then manufacturer, titles,discryption and keywords. So they are saved in de db.

Is it possible that this is normal. That the function not work by select manufacturers.

This has been reported before but I could never get it to fail. But, as it turns out, I just installed it into a 2.3 shop with a template today and I could see the failure. To fix it, edit the includes/functions/header_tags.php file. Change this line (should be around line 137):

if ( tep_not_null($manStr) && ($type == 'top' && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))) {

to

if ( tep_not_null($manStr) && (($type == 'top' || $type == 'man') && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))) {

Hi jack,

I know this was reported but there was no solution so I thaught this was normal.

Now its is working. Thanks for that. When i must searching for that problem it cost me sometimes 3 days because i have less knowledges about php.

greetz from Holland

Jacco Dickhof

www.BabyD.nl

Unless I am missing something, if I enable manufacturers in header tags I will get the proper manufacturer page meta, but I will also get manufacturer in product info whether I want it or not as so:

product name + category + manufacturer

I want the product name and category, but for Bing's issues I wanted to shorten the meta so I needed to drop the manufacturer.

so if i don't want the manufacturer in the product info, I have to uncheck the manu box, but now my manufacturer page won't generate manufacturer meta, just the default shop.

So it's either none or both as I see how that works

The manufacturers are displayed using the index.php file so you would check the manufacturers checkbox for that page. On the product_info.php, you would uncheck that checkbox.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

just spent a good while trying to find this but im still unclear.

Who knows for how long, but I just noticed the information pages psuedo pages are not working for me...

includes/header_tags.php is writeable 775

information.php - everything is unchecked

Each psuedo page has root checked sort 1, and the details filled in

When viewing each information page the title description and keywords are all identical. (using input form info_id=34 for whatever reason)

What Am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

v3.2.9

Thaks in advance

-Dave

Jack,

just spent a good while trying to find this but im still unclear.

Who knows for how long, but I just noticed the information pages psuedo pages are not working for me...

includes/header_tags.php is writeable 775

information.php - everything is unchecked

Each psuedo page has root checked sort 1, and the details filled in

When viewing each information page the title description and keywords are all identical. (using input form info_id=34 for whatever reason)

What Am I doing wrong?

If you see the pages listed in Page Control and the root box is checked for them and there is text in the root boxes, then the admin side is fine, The only other things it can be are either there isn't header tags code in the information.php file or the includes/header_tags.php file is not being updated. You can check the latter by looking for an entry for information.php. It should be quite larger than standard pages, like contact_us.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The manufacturers are displayed using the index.php file so you would check the manufacturers checkbox for that page. On the product_info.php, you would uncheck that checkbox.

Got this sorted out Jack. With settings exactly as you noted above, I was still having product_info show the manufacturer. I looked around and on page control, noted that on the right where the default tag box is, manufacturer was checked. Un-checking that fixed the issue.

Thank you for your time and patience.

If you see the pages listed in Page Control and the root box is checked for them and there is text in the root boxes, then the admin side is fine, The only other things it can be are either there isn't header tags code in the information.php file or the includes/header_tags.php file is not being updated. You can check the latter by looking for an entry for information.php. It should be quite larger than standard pages, like contact_us.

Jack, I'm baffled then. All 3 possibilities you mention check out ok. Test returns no errors. Page control seems correct. Header tag code is in all files and includes/header_tags.php updated with a file add. I double checked files to 3.2.9 and all seems right. Please visit the site and checkout the links in the upper half of the Information Box (the pseudo links) and note the title, description, and keywords seem to remain constant to your first pseudo link click... odd

Thanks again as usual.

As an asisde, the only subtlety I saw during Test was:

The information pseudo pages only show:

"languages in the Header Tags table are: 1 ( English )."

All other pages, including information.php, when tested show:

"languages in the Header Tags table are: 1 ( English ).

languages in the Header Tags table are: 3 ( Espanol )."

I run a 2 language shop. No other test errors.

-Dave

As an asisde, the only subtlety I saw during Test was:

The information pseudo pages only show:

"languages in the Header Tags table are: 1 ( English )."

All other pages, including information.php, when tested show:

"languages in the Header Tags table are: 1 ( English ).

languages in the Header Tags table are: 3 ( Espanol )."

I run a 2 language shop. No other test errors.

Perhaps it is a language problem then? Do the pages work correctly in one of the languages? Are you sure you used the correct pseudo entry? The way to know for sure is to turn off the url rewriter, if you use one, visit one of the pages on the shop and copy the file name and its parameters.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Same odd behaivor in english and spanish.

Each pseudo page is as:

information.php?info_id=1

information.php?info_id=2

... which verifies with url off

Then I'm out of ideas. I would need to see the code to find the problem. All I can suggest is you use the included files to create a test shop, verify it works there and then compare your files to it to isolate the problem.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Here is the Information section from includes/header_tags.php. Is it correct?

// information.php
 case (basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) === FILENAME_INFORMATION):
   $page = 'information.php?info_id=3';
   $parts = explode("?",$page);
   $getStr = substr($parts[1], 0, -1);
   $getID = isset($_GET[$getStr]) ? $_GET[$getStr] : '';
   $parts = explode("=", $parts[1]);
   if (! ReadCacheHeaderTags($header_tags_array, basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $getID)) {
  if (isset($parts[0])) {
   $found = false;
   $name = FILENAME_INFORMATION . "?" . $parts[0] . "=";
   $pageTags_query = tep_db_query("select * from " . TABLE_HEADERTAGS . " where page_name like '" . tep_db_input($name) . "%' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
    if (tep_db_num_rows($pageTags_query) > 0) {
	  while($pageTags = tep_db_fetch_array($pageTags_query)) {
	    if ($name . $_GET[$parts[0]] === $pageTags['page_name']) {
		   $header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page($pageTags['page_name']);
		   WriteCacheHeaderTags($header_tags_array, basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $getID);
		   $found = true;
		   break;
    } } }
    if (! $found) {
	   $found = true;
	   $header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page(FILENAME_INFORMATION);
	   WriteCacheHeaderTags($header_tags_array, basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']), $getID);
   } } else {
    $header_tags_array = tep_header_tag_page(FILENAME_INFORMATION);
  } 
   }
 break;

-Dave

Jack it is some sort of cache issue. When I disable cache within configuration/headertagsseo, all works normally.When I re-enable the bad behaivor reverts.

Any suggestions?

Edited by Roaddoctor

-Dave

Jack it is some sort of cache issue. When I disable cache within configuration/headertagsseo, all works normally.When I re-enable the bad behaivor reverts.

Any suggestions?

Not any others than I have already stated.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello guys, I would need your help if possible.

I have performed a fresh installation of OSC 2.3.3 + Header Tags SEO 3.2.9.

I have then tried to install CKEditor and that is where the weird things start to happen: I get no errors of any kind (either in catalog or admin) about CKEditor installation and the editor shows up correctly on the admin side.

However, whenever I try to edit any text, my modifications do not show on the shop side and do not stay on the admin side. Text stays into memory but any other type of editing (bold, colors, pictures, even a single change of line) seems impossible to apply.

I have spent one entire day trying to figure out why, but due to the lack of errors I am left with no clue: I even tried to install FCKEditor and TinyMCE, but the results are always the same.

Anybody has got any idea of where I might have gone wrong?

Thanks a bunch!

Mendoh

However, whenever I try to edit any text, my modifications do not show on the shop side and do not stay on the admin side. Text stays into memory but any other type of editing (bold, colors, pictures, even a single change of line) seems impossible to apply.

I have spent one entire day trying to figure out why, but due to the lack of errors I am left with no clue: I even tried to install FCKEditor and TinyMCE, but the results are always the same.

The code is already setup to work with the editors. You just have to install them, without making any changes to the categories or template_top file, enable the editor in the settings and it should work. You can try enabling the editor for some other part of the admin, like newsletters or replace your files with the included ones to see if it will work.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack, thanks for your rely.

This incredible situation is driving me crazy.

I re-installed from scratch and HTS works with CKEDITOR on my local website, then, I uploaded all the modified files to the online website (which for the record is the one that malfunctions) and here we go again: no errors...and no text changes retained!

I even checked the PHP and MYSQL version compatibilities, which are ok.

I am really starting to think I will have to rebuild everything from scratch for real... :x

Jack, after TWO DAYS of uninterrupted delirious search, on my way to a full rebuild of my website, I finally found out the reason for CKE malfunctioning.

THIS: http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/6546

I installed a contribution named "Treath Scanner" which is supposed to inform you of possible security holes in your OSC installation: one of the security holes supposedly in place should be closed by installing the above fix, at least according to Threat Scanner.

Too bad it totally knocks out CKEditor from operation!

I have realized that the changes made to catalog/includes/functions/database.php and catalog/admin/includes/functions/database.php, as proposed by the above contribution, cause the HTML editor to stop working.

Do you think the above fix is necessary to secure OSC database or is the 2.3.3 release alreay secure on its own as far as database is concerned?

I installed a contribution named "Treath Scanner" which is supposed to inform you of possible security holes in your OSC installation: one of the security holes supposedly in place should be closed by installing the above fix, at least according to Threat Scanner.

Too bad it totally knocks out CKEditor from operation!

I have realized that the changes made to catalog/includes/functions/database.php and catalog/admin/includes/functions/database.php, as proposed by the above contribution, cause the HTML editor to stop working.

Do you think the above fix is necessary to secure OSC database or is the 2.3.3 release alreay secure on its own as far as database is concerned?

I'm not familiar with that addon so I can't say much on it. It sounds like it is altering one of the basic functions in oscommerce. I think the original code is already secure but I'm assuming there is a reason for the change. You should ask in its support thread for a fix if you decide to keep it.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack I'm trying to sort out my cache issue. I currently have the headertags cache disabled and ran the clear cache.

Could you please confirm the database is proper:

in headertags_cache I have two fields: title and data.

If I click to view data in the db, this messge is given:

This table contains no data.

Data in this table cannot be edited because it has no primary key.

Is that all as it should be? just checking

Thank you

-Dave

Could you please confirm the database is proper:

in headertags_cache I have two fields: title and data.

If I click to view data in the db, this messge is given:

This table contains no data.

Data in this table cannot be edited because it has no primary key.

Is that all as it should be? just checking

Yes. that is correct.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello all.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue.

When I list new products I am getting the meta tags and title of another random product on the site, it is not happening with every product but with just a random few. Here is the latest: http://www.aseawards.co.uk/endurance-series-cast-presentation-p-789.html

The product I listed is obviously a presentation cup trophy, but the tags in the source are for a random cricket trophy. The tags do not change every time the page is loaded, the cricket trophy tag is always there. This has happened a couple of times now.

Hope someone can shed some light on it. I am using version 2.2

regards Andy