• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Sorry Jack_mcs. When I said "original method" i just meant the method I used before I installed this contribution. When you create a new manufacturer in admin, you have the ability to add the title and meta tag info then.

Also, when I go to the index page in Page Control, the only two boxes that are checked is "product" and "root".

Thanks Jack_mcs!

If you had some other meta tag contribution installed and still want to use it, then you would need to remove the changes to the index.php file that Header Tags makes.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I wouldn't mind using this contribution to make the changes if I knew how. Is there a way to change the meta tag and title tags on my categories and manufacturers pages using this contribution?

I havent used the latest version yet, but this was possible in the older ones.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Hi Jack.

First of all, thanks a lot for this new contribution and for your tireless support!!!.

Well, currently I have OSC 2.31 with HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.6 and Ultimate_Seo_Urls_5_PRO_r205 installed. HeaderTags_SEO_V_3.2.6 works fine but Header Tags go back to default values when the Urls5 module is activated.

I read many post saying HTS3.x and URLS5 are incompatible and the only way to do they work together is activating the rewrite mod in the server.

(I am unable to activate it in my hosting server)

- Is it true?

- How can I do to HTS3.26 and URLs5, work together without the rewrite module activated?

- Could solve the problem if I upgrade my HTSEO v_3.2.6 to V_3.2.7?.

Thanks a lot.

Edo.

I wouldn't mind using this contribution to make the changes if I knew how. Is there a way to change the meta tag and title tags on my categories and manufacturers pages using this contribution?

The latest version does allow meta work with categories and manufacturers, and even allows customized html work on your categories pages. This add on does quite a bit with customized meta info, but there is much much more. The install takes a lot of work but the end result is worth it.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

I read many post saying HTS3.x and URLS5 are incompatible and the only way to do they work together is activating the rewrite mod in the server.

(I am unable to activate it in my hosting server)

- Is it true?

- How can I do to HTS3.26 and URLs5, work together without the rewrite module activated?

- Could solve the problem if I upgrade my HTSEO v_3.2.6 to V_3.2.7?.

Yes, SEO 5 must be in rewrite mode to work with this contribution. But you should turn that module off first to make sure the problem is related to it and not some installation mistake. If you turn it off and Header Tags still fails, then the problem is in the installation. I wrote a fix allowing SEO 5 to work with Header Tags befoe the rewrite mode was added to SEO 5. It's in this thread somewhere but I've no idea where since it has been a few years, as I recall. Nothing was changed in this version that would cause, or fix, such a problem so upgrading shouldn't make a difference.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack.

searching on the Internet I found this:

http://www.clubosc.com/seourls5-htcseo3.html

It say:

Anyway, Jack came up with some nicer code as follows;

1. open up /includes/header_tags.php

2. find EVERY occurence of basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']) and replace this with $page

3. add this:

PLAIN TEXT

PHP:

 $pos = strripos($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], "/");

 $page = ($pos !== FALSE) ? basename(substr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'], 0, $pos)) : basename($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']);

right before

PLAIN TEXT

PHP:

 switch (true) {

4. save and upload

Could be this the fix you mention?

I tested it today and seems to be working fine, that would be great!.

Thanks.

Edo.

Could be this the fix you mention?

I tested it today and seems to be working fine, that would be great!.

Yes, that is it. Keep that fix in mind though since that file sometimes gets changed with updates and if you just overwrite it, you will be back to where you are now.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

I feel It could be closed to fixed, please give me a little bit more help.

I tested some situations with and without the fix and I had the following results:

(HTSEO Page control and Fill Tags always filled the database fine)

URLS5 OFF:

1)HTSEO 3.2.6 (header_tags.php not fixed)

- (ok) HTs on shop pages (like index.php) worked fine.

- (ok) HTs on product pages worked fine.

2)HTSEO 3.2.6 (header_tags.php fixed)

- (fail) HTs on shop pages (like index.php) dont display HT as entered in Page Control/Individual pages, only from Page Control/Default Tags.

- (fail) HTs on product pages dont display HTs from product meta tag information, only from Page Control/Default Tags.

URLS5 ON:

3)HTSEO 3.2.6 (header_tags.php not fixed)

- (fail) HTs on product pages dont display HTs from product meta tag information, only from Page Control/Default Tags.

4)HTSEO 3.2.6 (header_tags.php fixed)

- (fail) HTs on shop pages (like index.php) dont display HT as entered in Page Control/Individual pages, only from Page Control/Default Tags.

(I have only spanish in my shop, so I changed every languages_id entry in the my database to 1)

I am not an expert and I was unable to find out the problem. Please help me.

Thanks a lot.

Edo.

Edited by elara

The latest version does allow meta work with categories and manufacturers, and even allows customized html work on your categories pages. This add on does quite a bit with customized meta info, but there is much much more. The install takes a lot of work but the end result is worth it.

How do you change this info? I haven't a clue how. I would like to change the meta and title info on the categories and manufacturer pages that was unknowingly changed by this contribution when I altered the index page.

Thanks so much,

Jason

Hi Jack,

I feel It could be closed to fixed, please give me a little bit more help.

I tested some situations with and without the fix and I had the following results:

(HTSEO Page control and Fill Tags always filled the database fine)

URLS5 OFF:

1)HTSEO 3.2.6 (header_tags.php not fixed)

This is the only one I can help you with and it is working. The others have to do with a different contribution so you will need to ask in its support thread. I don't use it so I can't even guess at why it is failing. I can say, as far as I know, it usually works when in rewrite mode, though I've seen shops where it hasn't..

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

How do you change this info? I haven't a clue how. I would like to change the meta and title info on the categories and manufacturer pages that was unknowingly changed by this contribution when I altered the index page.

Thanks so much,

Jason

If you are asking how to change the data that Header Tags uses, you just need to edit the category or manufacturer you want to change. If you are wanting to restore or rever to some other contribution, you will need to ask in its support thread.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack_mcs. With a little playing around I figured it out. For those who are experiencing the same problem where the index page meta info is controlling your categories and manufacturers meta info, just unclick the "root" button and click the "manufacturer" and "category" button on the index.php page under page control. That seemed to work for me.

Thanks again,

Jason

Jack, today I have been working with Header Tags SEO and can't get the manufacturer info to show up in the meta.

In Page Control>product_info.php I have product, category, manufacturer checked, ordered 1,2,3 respectively. None of the other boxes are checked. Manufacturer won't show. Just product and category shows.

I tried changed the order, etc. but no go.

Any ideas on that?

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Jack, today I have been working with Header Tags SEO and can't get the manufacturer info to show up in the meta.

In Page Control>product_info.php I have product, category, manufacturer checked, ordered 1,2,3 respectively. None of the other boxes are checked. Manufacturer won't show. Just product and category shows.

I tried changed the order, etc. but no go.

Any ideas on that?

It appears to be due to a coding mistake. Please try the following. I only did a quick test so it needs to be tested further but I think it is correct. In includes/functions/header_tags.php, find and remove

else if (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']))
   $type = 'man';

and then find

if ($type == 'man' && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))

and replace with

if ( $type == 'top' && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It appears to be due to a coding mistake. Please try the following. I only did a quick test so it needs to be tested further but I think it is correct. In includes/functions/header_tags.php, find and remove

else if (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id']))
$type = 'man';

and then find

if ($type == 'man' && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))

and replace with

if ( $type == 'top' && ($pageTags['append_manufacturer'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_group'] || $defaultTags['default_logo_append_manufacturer']))

Jack, did a quick update based on what you provided in one shop and it's working. Getting something like: Big White New Refrigerator - Appliances - Maytag.

What drew my attention to this is that I added very similar products to a shop, with little difference in the product name. Getting the mfg in the tags would help differentiate them.

Looks good now, I will install that update in the other shop and test around a bit with different settings. Thanks for the help on this.

Looks good now, I will install that update in the other shop and test around a bit with different settings. Thanks for the help on this.

You're welcome. Having someone due the testing and finding problems is very nice. :) Thanks for taking the time to do that.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, in Header Tags SEO>Keywords, I am getting this error:

Warning: preg_match() [function.preg-match]: Unknown modifier '/' in /home/myusername/public_html/admin/includes/functions/headertags_seo_position_google.php on line 103

When I click on the word button in the Get Position column.

Here's line 103

if (preg_match("/" . $searchurl_www. "/",$lines[$s], $out)) {

I am not sure what URL is required in the box, but in this case I put the URL for the product info. However when I just put the index page url in the box, the error did not generate.

This came up on 2.2 and 2.3.1 shops.

Thanks

I am not sure what URL is required in the box, but in this case I put the URL for the product info. However when I just put the index page url in the box, the error did not generate.

You just enter the domain name of the shop, like www.mysite.com or yoursite.com/shop. There is a setting that allows this to be permanent, by the way.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You just enter the domain name of the shop, like www.mysite.com or yoursite.com/shop. There is a setting that allows this to be permanent, by the way.

OK, understand. I will get the sites set up that way. Thanks

Hi Jack,

I have installed the latest version on a new 2.3.1 store I am developing.

I see on the Add New Product Page in admin that there are two new boxes - on my install they have the titles: TEXT_PRODUCTS_LISTING_TEXT and TEXT_PRODUCTS_SUB_TEXT

My questions are :

1 what should the titles actually be in the language defines?

2) what are these boxes actually for? as I cant seem to find an explination.

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hi Jack,

I see on the Add New Product Page in admin that there are two new boxes - on my install they have the titles: TEXT_PRODUCTS_LISTING_TEXT and TEXT_PRODUCTS_SUB_TEXT

My questions are :

Many Thanks

I'll talk to you Heather. :)

I'm not sure if were supposed to list our shops pages here but if you'd like to see how I have the listing text and sub text set up on one of my shops, I can PM you a link to see. It's pretty cool what Jack came up with on these two tweaks to the Head Tags SEO add on. But in a nutshell the listing text lets you put wording on a particular product listing that shows up in a category or site search. The sub text shows up right on the listing itself toward the bottom. For example on one of mine, I have the words something like.."Close out item. Non-refundable" in contrasting colors.

Hi Steve, I would like to see that - could you pm me the link?

Many Thanks

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

Hi Steve, I would like to see that - could you pm me the link?

Many Thanks

On the way

Note the personalized jersey on that page? note the special text about size and number on the product listing page?

then when you click on that and go to the listing scroll to the bottom of the listing, the text in blue is the "sub text"

Both tweaks will help get attention for whatever purpose.

Happy selling.

Hi Jack,

My questions are :

Many Thanks

In answer to your first question:

In admin/includes/languages/english/categories.php,

FIND:

/*** End Header Tags SEO ***/

ADD ABOVE:

define('TEXT_PRODUCTS_LISTING_TEXT', 'Product Listing Text');

define('TEXT_PRODUCTS_SUB_TEXT', 'Product Page Sub Text:');

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons