• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags SEO

Jack_mcs

Hi Jack,

A while back I was having problems with the headertags box, and the products description being very short compared to what I was expecting.

I left it a while and come back to it.

to cut along story short, my problem is due to the size limit in the headertags box

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => strip_tags(substr($product_info['products_description'], 0, 100)).'<a style="color: red;" href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'products_id=' . (int)$_GET['products_id']).'"  >  (...' . TEXT_SEE_MORE . ')</a>');

The 100 value basically stops stripping my html from the product description in the database as its already processed 100 characters, I either remove the html code from the product description or increase this value so it process the data how I would like it.

At least i have the solution, but the description is using more html coding than it needs to ? so maybe need to look at a better way of dealing with that, but at least my mystery is solved.

Thanks

Getting better with mods but no programmer am I.

Hi Jack

Right now I have McGrath's HTC and Chemo's SEO URLs on a heavily modded 2.2 store

I'm wondering if this contribution will be an easy install with those modules in place.

The HTC I'm using is not bad per se, but it seems it is not setup to handle categories or

other miscellaneous pages (I had to add the miscellaneous pages in using a case statement,

which was very tedious) I did notice there seemed to be some code in there related to manufacturers

and categories at the top, but it contains variables that I cannot tell where the values come from

and it looks like it may have been unfinished or maybe modified by the original person working on

the site.

Still liking the Links mgr by the way = painless install. Thanks!!

Hi Jack

Right now I have McGrath's HTC and Chemo's SEO URLs on a heavily modded 2.2 store

I'm wondering if this contribution will be an easy install with those modules in place.

The HTC I'm using is not bad per se, but it seems it is not setup to handle categories or

other miscellaneous pages (I had to add the miscellaneous pages in using a case statement,

which was very tedious) I did notice there seemed to be some code in there related to manufacturers

and categories at the top, but it contains variables that I cannot tell where the values come from

and it looks like it may have been unfinished or maybe modified by the original person working on

the site.

Still liking the Links mgr by the way = painless install. Thanks!!

To upgrade from HTC to this one, run the headertags_seo_update.sql file. Then just follow the instructions in the read me files, skipping the database changes mentioned in them. If you are not using Ultimate SEO V 2.2d, you may need to upgrade that too.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I have upgraded to the last version of header tags seo, V_3.2.5, and finally everything seems to work well except for one thing. In page control once I have entered the title, description and keywords of one new page and I upgrade, after upgrading if I want to change something of the description, keywords, etc. Header tags doesn't change anything, to cut along story short, I can't change anything after upgrading. I only can see the changes in the database header tags, but not in the browser.

Is there any solution to this problem?

Thanks

Hi Jack

Getting error where there's no error

In admin configuration.php Header Tags SEO selecting clear cache I get 1146 - Table 'os3.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE' doesn't exist

truncate TABLE TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE

Now I've checked my database and the table headertags_cache is there with the 2 fields title and data

This only happened when I selected clear cache

This addon has been updated a few times to keep up with the changes

Please give me some advice

Many thanks

Getting the Phoenix off the ground

I have upgraded to the last version of header tags seo, V_3.2.5, and finally everything seems to work well except for one thing. In page control once I have entered the title, description and keywords of one new page and I upgrade, after upgrading if I want to change something of the description, keywords, etc. Header tags doesn't change anything, to cut along story short, I can't change anything after upgrading. I only can see the changes in the database header tags, but not in the browser.

Is there any solution to this problem?

If by "anything," you are referring to the categories or products edit pages, then you've made a mistake in the categories.php file. Use the included one to test with to make sure it works and then compare the two. If that is not what you mean, then you will have to explain what "anything" means.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack

Getting error where there's no error

In admin configuration.php Header Tags SEO selecting clear cache I get 1146 - Table 'os3.TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE' doesn't exist

truncate TABLE TABLE_HEADERTAGS_CACHE

Now I've checked my database and the table headertags_cache is there with the 2 fields title and data

This only happened when I selected clear cache

This addon has been updated a few times to keep up with the changes

Please give me some advice

Many thanks

Capital letters in an error like that mean the definition that holds the table name (in this case) is missing, not the table itself. Look in the install instrucitons for admin for the change to database_tables.php to find what you need.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If by "anything," you are referring to the categories or products edit pages, then you've made a mistake in the categories.php file. Use the included one to test with to make sure it works and then compare the two. If that is not what you mean, then you will have to explain what "anything" means.

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your answer.

I'm not referring to categories or products edit pages I'm referring to new pages you have added the code for header tags. In page control of header tags when you've added a header tags code to a .php page for example shipping.php and there you add the words for title, description, keywords, etc. for metatags and update, the metatags are correctly added, but if you want to change some words, for example, in the metadescription or in the title of this page and upgrade again you can't see this changes in the browser (source code), but if you check them in the database they are correct. Could this be a problem of cache?

Thanks again

Hi,

First of all, thank you for your answer.

I'm not referring to categories or products edit pages I'm referring to new pages you have added the code for header tags. In page control of header tags when you've added a header tags code to a .php page for example shipping.php and there you add the words for title, description, keywords, etc. for metatags and update, the metatags are correctly added, but if you want to change some words, for example, in the metadescription or in the title of this page and upgrade again you can't see this changes in the browser (source code), but if you check them in the database they are correct. Could this be a problem of cache?

Thanks again

Go to page control and select shipping.php and see if there is text in the boxes for that page. If there is, then be sure the permissions on the includes/header_tags.php are correct. Also be sure to run the test routine and fix any problems found.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Go to page control and select shipping.php and see if there is text in the boxes for that page. If there is, then be sure the permissions on the includes/header_tags.php are correct. Also be sure to run the test routine and fix any problems found.

I've done all you say. I've selected shipping.php, and there was the correct text in the boxes, but if I check "view results" the yellow box shows the old words, not the ones of the boxes above. I've checked the permissions on the include/header_tags.php in my host and they are correct (777). I've run the test routine and there I can see that the results of title and metatags for this page are correct for site and for settings. In the header tags database are correct as well. The problem is that in the source code of the browser nothing has changed, like in the yellow boxes.

Thank you

I've done all you say. I've selected shipping.php, and there was the correct text in the boxes, but if I check "view results" the yellow box shows the old words, not the ones of the boxes above. I've checked the permissions on the include/header_tags.php in my host and they are correct (777). I've run the test routine and there I can see that the results of title and metatags for this page are correct for site and for settings. In the header tags database are correct as well. The problem is that in the source code of the browser nothing has changed, like in the yellow boxes.

The view result may not always work. Have you looked at the source of the actual page?

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The view result may not always work. Have you looked at the source of the actual page?

This is the problem. The source code of this page in the browser has not changed, is the old code. If I go to the database, the code of header tags for this page is correct with the new words, so this means that header tags has changed the code correctly, but I can't see the changes in the source code of the page. Is because of that that I think it might be a problem of cache. Because at first, before trying to add meta tags to .php pages, I had problems with the headers tags code of products and categories and I had to change the settings of cache from gzip to normal, then it worked.

This is the problem. The source code of this page in the browser has not changed, is the old code. If I go to the database, the code of header tags for this page is correct with the new words, so this means that header tags has changed the code correctly, but I can't see the changes in the source code of the page. Is because of that that I think it might be a problem of cache. Because at first, before trying to add meta tags to .php pages, I had problems with the headers tags code of products and categories and I had to change the settings of cache from gzip to normal, then it worked.

If you think it is a cache problem, then turn cache off and see what happens. Be sure you have made the change to the head section of the shipping.php file, unless you are using using STS or BTS.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If you think it is a cache problem, then turn cache off and see what happens. Be sure you have made the change to the head section of the shipping.php file, unless you are using using STS or BTS.

The head section of my shipping.php file, of course has the header tags code, because I have the header tags words for description and title inserted, my problem started when I changed these words, because I couldn't see the changes in the source code in the browser.I've turned the header tags cache off (Enable cache- none) as you say and it has worked. Problem solved.

Disable header tags cache could cause any problems?

Thank you very much for your attention.

Hi Jack,

Just let you know that latest HT SEO has problems working with Dynamic sitemap 4.21 contribution, unfortunaletly Dynamic sitemap can not understand boxes header_tags, headertags_seo_silo, headertags_seo_silo_W_Products and so brake layout.

Thanks for the grate contribution and support!

Hi Jack,

Just let you know that latest HT SEO has problems working with Dynamic sitemap 4.21 contribution, unfortunaletly Dynamic sitemap can not understand boxes header_tags, headertags_seo_silo, headertags_seo_silo_W_Products and so brake layout.

Thanks for the grate contribution and support!

No, actually, it's the other way around, :), and it doesn't surprise me to hear that there are problems. That contribution has a number of problems. I'm surprised anyone is still using it. I suggest you use Sitemap SEO instead.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack!

I have use this addon Ver3.2.5 for oSc2.3.1 . I have to modify the close tags of "<meta" to pass the online XHTML validator. And also need to change "content=" instead of "value=" at line 356. The full list that I touched is as following:

345 echo ' <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=' . CHARSET . '" />'."\n";^M

346 echo ' <title>' . $header_tags_array['title'] . '</title>' . "\n";^M

347 echo ' <meta name="Description" content="' . $header_tags_array['desc'] . '" />' . "\n";^M

348 echo ' <meta name="Keywords" content="' . $header_tags_array['keywords'] . '" />' . "\n";^M

349 ^M

350 if ($defaultTags['meta_language']) { $langName = explode(",", $_SERVER["HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE"]); echo ' <meta http-eq uiv="Content-Language" content="' . $langName[0] . '" />'."\n"; }^M

351 if ($defaultTags['meta_google']) echo ' <meta name="googlebot" content="all" />' . "\n";^M

352 if ($defaultTags['meta_noodp']) echo ' <meta name="robots" content="noodp" />' . "\n";^M

353 if ($defaultTags['meta_noydir']) echo ' <meta name="slurp" content="noydir" />' . "\n";^M

354 if ($defaultTags['meta_revisit']) echo ' <meta name="revisit-after" content="1 days" />' . "\n";^M

355 if ($defaultTags['meta_robots']) echo ' <meta name="robots" content="index, follow" />' . "\n";^M

356 if ($defaultTags['meta_unspam']) echo ' <meta name="no-email-collection" content="'. HTTP_SERVER .'" />' . "\n";^M

357 if ($defaultTags['meta_replyto']) echo ' <meta name="Reply-to" content="' . STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS . '" >' . "\n ";^M

358 if ($defaultTags['meta_canonical']) echo (tep_not_null($canonical_url) ? ' <link rel="canonical" href="'.$canonical_u rl.'" >'. "\n" : ' <link rel="canonical" href="'.GetCanonicalURL().'" />'. "\n");

YaNotCook !!

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to utilise trhe headertags module to enter in the metatags for the serach engine verifications, rather than having to use the file uploads.

I am guessing I would need a new set of tags to load up, yahoo, bing, google and have them defaulted to every page or something?

Thanks

Module is working fantastically

Hi Jack,

I was wondering if there was an easy way to utilise trhe headertags module to enter in the metatags for the serach engine verifications, rather than having to use the file uploads.

I am guessing I would need a new set of tags to load up, yahoo, bing, google and have them defaulted to every page or something?

Thanks

Module is working fantastically

I don't understand what you mean about uploading files. There's no such option in Header Tags.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I don't understand what you mean about uploading files. There's no such option in Header Tags.

Hi Jack, sorry about the crossed wires.

google give you options on verifying that you own the site.

you can add the meta tag

you can upload the file

and other options

but it be a lot easier to have the tag available in header tags, and you can just fill it in and go.

ie instead of uploading files to teh root directory, enter into admin the verification codes from the search engines so they can verify you own the site?

<meta name="y_key" content="" />
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="" />

Hi Jack, sorry about the crossed wires.

google give you options on verifying that you own the site.

you can add the meta tag

you can upload the file

and other options

but it be a lot easier to have the tag available in header tags, and you can just fill it in and go.

ie instead of uploading files to teh root directory, enter into admin the verification codes from the search engines so they can verify you own the site?

<meta name="y_key" content="" />
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="" />

Oh, I understand now. Using a file is the preferred way since it is more efficient. But if a meta tag was added as part of the contribution, it might cause confusion for those that already have that tag or file in place. I don't think google would care if there are two entries but there's no reason to add extra entries. Plus, if it were added to Header Tags, it would be in the includes/header_tags.php file, which means the tag would get added to every page that uses Header Tags, which is not needed. You can edit the includes/header_tags.php file if you want to add the verification code yourself though. But that would be the same as editing the index file so nothing would be gained. Or a configure setting option could be added to where you could set it there and then the code added to display that, but that seems like a lot of work for a one-time change.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello, Jack!

It seems that the following lines in the file "/catalog/include/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php" of Ver3.2.5 for 2.3.1 can be ignored.

Line #26 -- whole line

Line #27 -- ignore <td align="right"> and keep <table border="0" width="20%">

Lin2 #37 -- whole line

Or show me where I can find the <table>, </table> tags!

crying.gif

YaNotCook !!

Hello, Jack!

It seems that the following lines in the file "/catalog/include/modules/header_tags_social_bookmarks.php" of Ver3.2.5 for 2.3.1 can be ignored.

Line #26 -- whole line

Line #27 -- ignore <td align="right"> and keep <table border="0" width="20%">

Lin2 #37 -- whole line

Or show me where I can find the <table>, </table> tags!

crying.gif

That wasn't rewritten for 2.3, though it probably should be. You can enclose it in divs and apply the class you want. Table classes are defined in 2.3 though so it shouldn't be a problem either way.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons